What IS this cat?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What IS this cat?!

Okay so I need some input on something that is just totally out of my usual zone of expertise, haha! Rewind to early summer 2012. Hubby and I had discussed adopting a kitty, and decided we didn't really want one from a shelter - we wanted to help out someone who maybe needed to re-home their pet or something. I said I knew how that felt and I'd love to help someone like that out (been there done that), and it meant we'd be more likely to adopt a cat straight from a loving home and there'd be less mystery about it all. We put up an ad on Craigslist and just left it at that.

A few weeks later we started seeing this little black kitten during our regular trips to the beach at night (we liked to hang out there and just chit-chat and enjoy the breeze), hiding in the shadows watching us from a distance. The kitten would walk up from a nearby residential area, watch us a while, and then disappear. I tried to offer the poor thing some food, but he kept vanishing. I felt so bad for the little guy. The beach, the unpredictable waters of Lake Michigan and the nearby busy road was no place for a lone black kitten! But there was really nothing we could do. Still he kept showing up and just watching us.

Well, then we get this e-mail response to our CL ad (after a long time of total lack of replies, too) from this family. They tell us this little black kitten has showed up to their porch and although they've been feeding him, they have cats of their own and they just can't keep the poor thing. They ask if we can come and see him and maybe take him home, hoping he can find a safe place to live before Michigan's bitter cold begins to set in in the coming months. We say sure, why not, what's the address? And as it turns out, they live right by the beach. Long story short, we go to this family's house, and who should we find but the same little black kitten, not a block away from where we'd seen him before, happily munching food from a glass bowl on their porch?! We pick him up and he just instantly starts to purr up a storm. We tell the family the story and that this kitten has been watching us, and they say "Who knows, maybe God just wanted you to have him!" So of course we take this beautiful black kitten home with us, and upon discovering a few little stray white hairs in his coat, we decide it looks like a star field and call him Nocturnus - or Nox, for short.

As Nox grew older, he started to participate in our rituals. When we were shielding the room, he'd walk in circles, dutifully whisking away the energies we wished to dispel. When I was being messed with, he crawled into my arms and sat on my chest, and the weight of any attacks would suddenly lift as he purred - then he'd walk away and lick himself like it was nothing. He spotted spirits and came to alert us, howling and leading us to them. When one of our roomies had an emotional breakdown, Nox walked up to me, looked deeply into my eyes as if asking what to do - I whispered softly a command (hoping nobody else present could hear it), and like he totally understood it, he walked straight over to the room where our roomie had barricaded himself in, and started to scrape at the door and meow...our roomie suddenly calmed down, and you could feel the energy just lift in the room for a minute or two. Recently hubby turned to kitty and said, "Keep watch over Mommy, will you kitty?" and the cat looked at him, and bowed his head. I said "Oh my god, did you just nod?! That's ridiculous, cats don't--" and I asked him "Do you actually understand me?!" He looked at me, and bowed his head. I wish I could say that's the first time he's done that. I just shook my head and freaked out a little. This is waaaay outside what I'm used to dealing with.

That brings me to my latest discovery. Nox was being adorable, curled in my arms tonight purring like usual. I giggled and pulled out my camera phone to try and snap some pictures, and he kept wriggling around but I did manage to capture a few pretty good ones. I pulled hubby aside to show him and we found something CREEPY AS HELL in the pictures. He told me to just upload it here and see what people think, because we are sooo clueless right now...

Attached are the photos in question. I want you guys to look at his eyes. Do you see that white FACE?! Just so you know, we cannot find anything at all that would make that kind of a reflection in his eyes. Also there is a white thing even from the side view. It's freaking us out a little bit here (well, myself more than hubby, I admit - he tends to roll with these things better than I do). We tried to look in the direction kitty was looking, recreate that reflection, wrap our heads around it...there is absolutely nothing that would make that kind of a shape.

What do you guys make of this? What IS this cat? I mean, he's really sweet, so it's not bad, whatever it is. Is there lore about this kind of stuff? Some kind of...I don't know, spirit animals or something? What are we dealing with here and how should we best care for the little guy if he's something...you know, different somehow? I mean we certainly try to keep him a happy kitty. Is there anything more I should know, here?

NOTE: By the way, I am in the process of moving, so I apologize for the clutter in the room, haha! Yay packing. :P

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	356023Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00051.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	356024Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00049.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	356025
    Last edited by RainbowDemonic; 02 Nov 2013, 21:49. Reason: Added note.

Re: What IS this cat?!

Actually, I see a tree. Though it's most likely just a motion blur.
    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

The cat wasn't really moving in these pictures, except in that sideways-view one which I just put in there more as an afterthought. The middle one in particular is the most crisp and motionless - if it was motion blur why would it be present in a completely still picture?

It doesn't look like a tree to either of us. It looks like some weird white face. Our best guess was "Ghost? Maybe? Uhh...wtf?!" We're really not used to pictures that show weird stuff like this and we never try to look for it. That's usually for people way too obsessed with Ghost Hunters, lol. You know the type I'm talking about. Sees faces and "orbs" in like, everything. We are not that type (we find them annoying as hell).

Comment

My lil one, Nyx, does the same kinds of things sometimes. Though the thing with Nox's eyes is definitely odd. Cool, but odd. Haven't had that happen to me
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
          My lil one, Nyx, does the same kinds of things sometimes. Though the thing with Nox's eyes is definitely odd. Cool, but odd. Haven't had that happen to me
          Is it a normal thing for some cats to just be kind of magically oriented or adept at helping with it, then? To be honest I've had a lot more dogs as pets than cats, haha - more of a "dog person" than a "cat person" so to speak, so I've done lots of reading and learning about kitties to make sure and care for Nox as best I can and keep him a happy little guy, since I'm more familiar with dog behavior and cats often leave me a little confused and mystified. For all I know it's totally normal for cats to just jump in like that. I have no idea.

Yeah the eye thing has me a little bit weirded out, lol. I'll keep watch on Nox to make sure he's alright, maybe do a soft cleansing-chant while I'm petting him next time just to be safe (he always purrs lots when I do it anyway, so no harm no foul). Can't hurt. *shrug*

Comment

No idea...I do see it though. I wouldn't be too weirded out if he's happy and is a positive part of the environment in your home!

Comment

A short analysis of the face, because it's really creeping me out. I'll be using the second picture in this analysis because it is the most clear.

The face appears "looking" at the same angle in both eyes. It appears to have a small... horn or ear? at the top-left, but this may be a consequence of the angle. Its eyes appear in a rounded rectangle shape and it also appears to possibly have an open mouth. Doesn't look like anything I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra View Post
                A short analysis of the face, because it's really creeping me out. I'll be using the second picture in this analysis because it is the most clear.

The face appears "looking" at the same angle in both eyes. It appears to have a small... horn or ear? at the top-left, but this may be a consequence of the angle. Its eyes appear in a rounded rectangle shape and it also appears to possibly have an open mouth. Doesn't look like anything I know of.
                Yeah...the messed up thing was that the face was looking in my direction, haha. That's why I freaked out a little bit more than hubby did. Kitty is looking behind me and to my left. The face is aimed squarely at me. It isn't my face, that's for sure, lord knows I'm not that pale haha (and no flash was used). Like I said, we can't figure out a way to make that show up in any reflection. Like I even took a spoon (similar curve on the reflective surface of it) and aimed it at the same angle and position - nothing like that shows up. So whatever it was it appears as though it was staring at me. Now, one other possibility hubby had raised is that, if Nox had crawled into my arms to do his usual shielding thing where he sits there purring a while if any spirits bug me too much, perhaps this was the face of whatever he was shielding against. But we don't really know. *shrug*

Comment

Honestly, I see a tree. But this is insane! Your kitty is a special one.
                  Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

This cat is a good buddy, and if there is anything metaphysical with him, it must be positive. Take it as a blessing
                    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                    sigpic
                    In Days of yore,
                    From Britain's shore
                    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                    And planted firm Britannia's flag
                    On Canada's fair domain.
                    Here may it wave,
                    Our boast, our pride
                    And joined in love together,
                    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I'm definitely of the myth busting type -- I've seen a few unexplained things, but most have some explanation, even if hard to find.

Reflections are weird and our minds love to find patterns where they don't exist. That's why ink blots are so effective in gauging your state of mind. They are pictures of nothing, but you will see pictures.

I'm pretty sure its just a normal reflection, but because you are in a supernatural mindset, that's what you see.

Nonetheless, your cat and you certainly have a special relationship. I've had cats like that too and its incredible. Although I think they may sense things we can't, I don't think they'd show up on film.

Still an awesome cat.

Comment

I cannot say much about cats due to the fact that I am, very much, a dog person. I've had cats, but never had the connections with them that I do with dogs. I am convinced that dogs are able to "see" things that I am not. Many times, with many different dogs, they have alerted at something that wasn't there. Yet almost every time they alerted at this non-existant thing, they followed it, looked at it, reacted to it just the same as they would have to a human or another animal. Combine this with a dog's ability to foretell the weather, and sense danger before it happens... and you may understand why I believe that dogs might be able to "see" some spirits, where I cannot. I'm not sure if they actually see it as an object, a shadow, apparition, etc.; or are they looking where they are sensing, or feeling the presence. Still working on that one.

My point? If dogs are able to perceive these "things", then I've no doubt that cats can do it as well.

Then there is all of the lore about cats being "familiars" to witches. I am one of the first people who will tell you to take all "lore" with a grain of salt. Urban legends are what myths are made of. Yesteryear's urban legends are today's myths; and today's urban legends are tomorrow's myths. Yet, no matter how convoluted the myths become, I do, very strongly, believe that each and every one of them are founded in some form of truth. For example: ever notice how similar a pterodactyl is to our modern concept of a dragon? Or have you ever notice the similarities between dragons and bats? My point is simply that if cats are associated with magic and witchcraft in myth, then there is, most likely, a good reason for it. And I lean toward that reason being that cats do have some abilities that work well with "magic".

And something that came to me as I was writing this... "The eyes are the window to the soul". I'm sure you've heard that a time or two. I am a firm believer in that adage. So consider the eyes to be a window and, just like glass, they can allow you to see what is inside... or they can reflect what the window if facing. In this case I have to wonder if the reflection you are seeing is what Nox is "seeing". This may not be something in the room with you; but it may be... Oh, let's say, his spirit guide; or his own spirit.

I have been taking pictures for over 40 years. I've developed my own film and now play in the digital darkroom as well. And I can tell you one thing for certain: There are a lot of things that show up in a picture that were not in the viewfinder. Fortunately, many of them have tangible explanations and are little more than things you didn't notice while you were composing your shot. Some are film/camera/developing failure(s). And some are down right spooky! Having no logical explanation at all. I have come to realize that in cases like that, when there is no logical explanation, then there has to be an illogical explanation for it.

So what does all that babble mean? In short, I have no doubt that Nox was meant to join you. I have no doubt that Nox is with you for a reason. I have no doubt that Nox has abilities that you do not yet, or may never, understand. I, also, have no doubt that animals can be "familiars" for us. And a "familiar" is simply an animal that can "see" or sense things that we cannot.

So go with the flow. Accept this gift that has been given to you. Accept this help that you probably have asked for in the past.

Side note: For an interesting view on this subject, try to read "Angels on Assignment" by Pastor Roland Buck. Although it is Christian based, it does give you plenty of "food for thought".

Comment

Working...
                        X