Questions about Baldr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Baldr

I'm a little new to Norse paganism, so I've been trying to do as much asking around as I could before committing to anything specific. Last night I did a little meditation and praying, and I felt something that felt like a calling from a god, and it felt as though it came from Baldr, though I'm not entirely certain. After doing a little research, there is something drawing me to him, but it has been very hard to find information about him beyond the story of his death.

I was wondering if anyone could link me to or recommend any information sources about Baldr and his worship?

Re: Questions about Baldr

Beyond what little mention there is in the Eddas, and any speculation you might find in a wiki, there is little info on Baldr. As far as I know, there was no historical worship of him.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Norse myths...but doesn't Baldr's death (caused by Loki) sorta kick of the Ragnarok?

Comment

Originally posted by redhairjoe View Post
          I'm not familiar with the Norse myths...but doesn't Baldr's death (caused by Loki) sorta kick of the Ragnarok?
          Nope. Not sure if Loki's kids are taken first cause the lore is iffy as far as sequence. I have always thought Loki's action was retribution for his own children's kidnappings and Fenrir's imprisonment. Basically Baldr is now trapped by the other side. Loki's punishment does produce the story of Sigyn and the bowl. There is always some question as to whether or not Loki is still tied up or free to move around physically.

Comment

Originally posted by redhairjoe View Post
            The traditional answer is "yes"... sort of... it is often seen as, if not the first, at least as the tipping point in an inevitable chain of events that culminate in Ragnarok.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Saxo Grammaticus has an entirely different version of the Baldr narrative which I prefer. In his, Baldr is a human that is fighting (the also human) Hodor for his love, Nanna. The gods and other supernatural entities get involved in thie fight but ultimately Baldr is slain. I'd recommend reading it if not for a little more character depth on Baldr.

Comment

Working...
              X