This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Silly Things that Annoy You About the Community

It may not be quite along the lines of silly....but the constant inner bickering between the different paths drives me up a wall. "Oh you can't follow _____ because you're not _______" o.O seriously? I mean, is that really necessary?
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Comment

What really annoys me is when a thread gets going but because of the time difference between UK and US (plus the fact that I tend to go to bed fairly early anyway) I miss most of it, and then by the time I do get up and online again, it's been locked.

So... I shall take this golden opportunity to point out (in respect of a recent thread) that yes, Christians did occasionally sacrifice human beings. The sixth century CE author Procopius reported that even Christianity was no bar to making a human sacrifice of the enemy’s women and children at a bridge (Gothic War, 2.25 .10 f.).

There, got that off my chest, didn't I?
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Let's not get this thread locked too please.

I pronounce it eh-kah-tee with emphasis on kah. I always always always write it Hekate.

Something else that annoys me is when people associate the MMC with cultures that did not even have that concept. Associating deities in a triad is not the same as saying that they are all aspects of each other.

Comment

Starting every sentence with "Merry Meet" and ending every sentence with "Blessed Be".

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
            Let's not get this thread locked too please.
            Have to agree, lets not let it get locked please.

Something else that annoys me is when people associate the MMC with cultures that did not even have that concept. Associating deities in a triad is not the same as saying that they are all aspects of each other.
            I agree on the MMC (Mother-Maiden-Crone) thing or the MMWC (Mother - Maiden - Warrioress - Crone) aspect. When I hear people try to push it on the Olympian pantheon I try to push back with the trilogy of Hekate - Persephone - Demeter and my understanding of the Elusian mysteries and how all three played together. Gets me irritated when they try to push the trilogy of Artemis - Hekate - Selene (Diana - Hekate (occasionally Juno) - Luna) when they are all the moon or aspects of the moon but have little to no aspects of one another.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              magick, majik, majyc, magique, majik, majic, majique

Did I get them all?
              Someone I know recently quoted something Coyle wrote, wherein she uses the spelling "Feri" and I just wanted to die. I can't even handle it when people pick baby names and spell them differently, like "Kaytelynn" instead of "Kaitlyn" or "Ellyn" instead of "Ellen". All it does is complicate things, because then they have to inform you of how it's spelled when they say it or clarify how the name is pronounced when someone sees it.

Just... use the word. No need for all that extra work.

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              When people try to replace 'god damn it' and 'Jesus Christ!' And 'oh my god' with the polytheistic counterparts. These words are all societal commonplace now. Just because I say 'Jesus, I can't wait for...x' doesn't mean I believe in Jesus. It's just a phrase.
              I'm guilty of saying "Oh my gods" but it was a habit that built up on it's own - I don't remember intentionally trying to do it. However, NO ONE says "Jesus!" or "Jesus Christ!" more than I do. And Jesus means nothing to me whatsoever. I just like the sound it makes coming out of my mouth. Something about the way it sounds perfectly expresses the height of surprise or frustration to me.

I really, really dislike "Oh my Goddess". That's way too much.

Comment

The thread isn't in immediate peril for the reference made. I would avoid going much further on the topic because reviving the discussion in the near future will kill threads but this thread isn't currently on death row.

EDIT: not a response to Raph
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Mea Culpa... it's just annoying when I wake up, go online and find a thread has been locked just when I had something I wanted to add to it. But I promise not to refer to THAT MATTER again.

Well, not here, anyway...
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

When people try to replace 'god damn it' and 'Jesus Christ!' And 'oh my god' with the polytheistic counterparts. These words are all societal commonplace now. Just because I say 'Jesus, I can't wait for...x' doesn't mean I believe in Jesus. It's just a phrase.
                    I say oh my gods a lot...Then again I say Jesus Christ too. Maybe I'm an odd duck
                    Circe

Comment

I switched out to "Holy Cheezewiz!" Because when my kids used to set up the manger scene at Christmas, they called Jesus "baby cheeses."

I've been told we're all going to hell...
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

White people who say "Namaste", or who brag about their Native American roots when they're actually about 1/32nd Native. I'm careful when referencing that stuff, myself; I prefer to make self-depreciating jokes about it (e.g., "I think maybe my right pinky is Native. The rest of my bloodline is pretty-much a mutt of Scottish, Irish, English, and lots of farmer/redneck.") because seriously, let's be real. It just bugs me on a deep level.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                          I say oh my gods a lot...Then again I say Jesus Christ too. Maybe I'm an odd duck
                          Gods above, by the gods, and gods be damned are all perfectly acceptable. 'Oh my gods', 'oh my goddess', 'goddess bless' and the such make me roll my eyes.

Mostly art.

Comment

Gods above, by the gods, and gods be damned are all perfectly acceptable. 'Oh my gods', 'oh my goddess', 'goddess bless' and the such make me roll my eyes.
                            When I hear them say "Oh My Goddess!" I think they have been reading the comic or playing the game. Of course it might piss off those who follow a Nordic pathway as the whole game / world is modeled after the Norse Pantheoan and the world tree / worlds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ah!_My_...me#Video_games

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by RainbowDemonic View Post
                            White people who say "Namaste", or who brag about their Native American roots when they're actually about 1/32nd Native. I'm careful when referencing that stuff, myself; I prefer to make self-depreciating jokes about it (e.g., "I think maybe my right pinky is Native. The rest of my bloodline is pretty-much a mutt of Scottish, Irish, English, and lots of farmer/redneck.") because seriously, let's be real. It just bugs me on a deep level.
                            That doesn't get me as much as the "Native American Pantheon" of gods / goddesses. As soon as I read that I tend to toss the BS flag and pay no further heed to their postings or position. When a Nation or Tribe is mentioned it almost is always either Sioux or Cherokee, not even using their name of Lakota, Dakota, Ug LA LA and Teton I think is the other for the Sioux or Tsgali (sp) for teh Cherokee.

My self if asked I say I am supposed to be a descendant two Eastern nations but so far back it's not even on the Dawes Rolls and would be closer to the start of the 1800's.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm too lazy to type it all out so ___________________ (insert annoying thing here).
                              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

People assuming that because I'm a pagan and they are a pagan that I want/am okay with their wishing me anything from THEIR gods. And then getting huffy when I say "no thank you" and repeatedly wishing their gods whatever on me anyhow.
                                "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X