This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hellenized Gods

How do you lot feel about deities like Serapis?

Do you ignore them?

Do you incorporate them? If so, do you worship them in a pure Kemetic way or a Hellenic way or a bit of both?

Re: Hellenized Gods

I ignore them, for the most part, because that's not the time period I work with. I do have some Greco-Roman aspects to my practice, just not enough for me to worship Hellenized Egyptian deities.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I ignore him, because I try to avoid external influences on the Kemetic culture by different peoples like the Romans, Greeks and others.
      For instance, I also try to use the first Egyptian names of the Gods like Aset instead of Isis, Usir instead of Osiris....
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I do want to randomly jump in here and point out that Aset and Isis are generally considered seperate deity's from what I have seen, but they are very similiar. It really depends on what period you're drawing from within the egyptian history, and what sources you're using, as egyptian gods sort of evolve over the course of Ancient Kemet.

As for the OP's question, I think it personally doesn't matter which name is used, as one name can resonate with a person more then another. What I've noticed, is it mostly boils down to exactly what type of path one is wanting to fallow. If one is very hellenic in their practice, they might want to use the hellenic names. Same for if one is leaning more towards a kemetic path.

It could also not matter at all what the practitioner feels is most accurate, because the deity in question might chose the name they most prefer to be known as to said practitioner.
        Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Domiel View Post
          As for the OP's question, I think it personally doesn't matter which name is used, as one name can resonate with a person more then another. What I've noticed, is it mostly boils down to exactly what type of path one is wanting to fallow. If one is very hellenic in their practice, they might want to use the hellenic names. Same for if one is leaning more towards a kemetic path.
          In regards to the Kemetic gods, in all likelihood Their "real" names are hidden, since in ancient Egyptian thought, names are tools of power. Even if not, we don't know how the language was pronounced and we don't have the vowels, so it's possible we're saying some of the names incorrectly. And yet. . . the Netjeru still answer.

It really does boil down to what you're doing and what resonates with you. A lot of Kemetics use the more traditional forms of the Netjeru's names because those names feel closer to what the Netjeru were actually called in the context of ancient Egyptian society.

I've met a couple Kemetics who only use the Kemetic names when worshipping or speaking with other Kemetics. The Greek forms of the names are more well known and thus using them makes talking with non-Kemetics a little easier sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
            In regards to the Kemetic gods, in all likelihood Their "real" names are hidden, since in ancient Egyptian thought, names are tools of power. Even if not, we don't know how the language was pronounced and we don't have the vowels, so it's possible we're saying some of the names incorrectly. And yet. . . the Netjeru still answer.

It really does boil down to what you're doing and what resonates with you. A lot of Kemetics use the more traditional forms of the Netjeru's names because those names feel closer to what the Netjeru were actually called in the context of ancient Egyptian society.

I've met a couple Kemetics who only use the Kemetic names when worshipping or speaking with other Kemetics. The Greek forms of the names are more well known and thus using them makes talking with non-Kemetics a little easier sometimes.
            True. I wish there were some Kemetics in my area too, so I can learn from them and share opinions, rituals and practices.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
              True. I wish there were some Kemetics in my area too, so I can learn from them and share opinions, rituals and practices.
              I wish there were a couple more Kemetics in my area, too, sometimes, but I'm also pretty fed up with the fractious Kemetic community. I've moved to almost exclusively online because of it.

Actually, I've about had it with religion period. That's a bit beyond the scope of this thread, though. LOL.

Anyway, if you ever have any questions or anything, you can PM me. I'm not an expert (three years in--just a baby Kemetic, really), but beggars can't be all that choosy.

Comment

That's a very thought provoking point. Thanks.
                Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

I wish there were a couple more Kemetics in my area, too, sometimes, but I'm also pretty fed up with the fractious Kemetic community. I've moved to almost exclusively online because of it.

Actually, I've about had it with religion period. That's a bit beyond the scope of this thread, though. LOL.

Anyway, if you ever have any questions or anything, you can PM me. I'm not an expert (three years in--just a baby Kemetic, really), but beggars can't be all that choosy.
                  Thanks
                  I am three years in it myself. And yet, I have learned a lot of interesting stuff, though I still have a long way to go.
                  I am open to questions as well. Communicating with people through On-Line is great, though people can't unfortunately gather for conducting a ritual, whether it's one or another.

I would like to add something to the "real" name thing. -It happened a lot when people didn't even know their real name and used the one given to them from birth.

Comment

Could anyone recommend a good starting point for someone who has a particular interest in the Hellenic Egyptian deities? I know someone who has always felt close to gods of the Egyptian pantheon but who seems to engage them in a very Greek way and adores Greek mythology. I'm not sure about Serapis, but I think Hermes Trismegistus may have tried to contact this person, as well as Horus (or a Greek equivalent) and possibly an Egyptian analogue of Heracles.
                    OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                    The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                    Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouranos Ouroboros View Post
                      Could anyone recommend a good starting point for someone who has a particular interest in the Hellenic Egyptian deities? I know someone who has always felt close to gods of the Egyptian pantheon but who seems to engage them in a very Greek way and adores Greek mythology. I'm not sure about Serapis, but I think Hermes Trismegistus may have tried to contact this person, as well as Horus (or a Greek equivalent) and possibly an Egyptian analogue of Heracles.
                      You can try approaching Them from a Hellenic or Kemetic angle. For nearly-completely Hellenized deities such as Isis and Serapis, I would recommend starting as a Hellenic. For deities who have mostly a "Hellenic gloss" like Heru-sa-Aset or even Zeus-Ammon I would recommend starting as a Kemetic.

From there, it depends on what you want to do. For those who have a preference for Hellenic stuff, go that direction. Ditto for those with a preference for Kemetic stuff. Others find themselves mixing both, because there are those out there who find that the Kemetic and Hellenic "versions" of certain deities are close enough that They can be considered the same.

Also read stuff about ancient Egypt during the Greco-Roman times.

Comment

You can try approaching Them from a Hellenic or Kemetic angle. For nearly-completely Hellenized deities such as Isis and Serapis, I would recommend starting as a Hellenic. For deities who have mostly a "Hellenic gloss" like Heru-sa-Aset or even Zeus-Ammon I would recommend starting as a Kemetic.

From there, it depends on what you want to do. For those who have a preference for Hellenic stuff, go that direction. Ditto for those with a preference for Kemetic stuff. Others find themselves mixing both, because there are those out there who find that the Kemetic and Hellenic "versions" of certain deities are close enough that They can be considered the same.

Also read stuff about ancient Egypt during the Greco-Roman times.
                        Thanks for the advice!
                        OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                        The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                        Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

Working...
                        X