Looking for a mentor/teacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a mentor/teacher

I've been following my path for a few years now, but I still feel stagnant. I feel like if I had more direction from someone with more experience than me, I could learn so much more.

My problem is, I live in a very small, conservative town and I don't know anyone who practices besides myself. I've tried looking online for people in my area, but seem to hit a dead end.

I'm thinking online is the way to go. It's easier for me to access information and gives me the ability to be more flexible with my schedule.

I've heard that when the student is ready, the teacher will come. So I guess this is my way of putting myself out there to see what manifests. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Looking for a mentor/teacher

It might help if you could describe your path a little. Most people here are open to answering questions, but if you're looking for specifics, it helps to have people in the same sphere of influence.

For example, if you're Wiccan, you'd want to speak with a more experienced Wiccan instead of say, a Zoroastrian.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I've been following my path for a few years now, but I still feel stagnant. I feel like if I had more direction from someone with more experience than me, I could learn so much more.

My problem is, I live in a very small, conservative town and I don't know anyone who practices besides myself. I've tried looking online for people in my area, but seem to hit a dead end.

I'm thinking online is the way to go. It's easier for me to access information and gives me the ability to be more flexible with my schedule.

I've heard that when the student is ready, the teacher will come. So I guess this is my way of putting myself out there to see what manifests. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
      What is your path?
      No sig for you.

Comment

"The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

From a personal perspective but, why would someone take you as a student? You've not answered any of the previous postings asking what your pathway is. It's been a few days so one would think you'd at least say something along the lines of "Let me think about it and i'll answer it in a bit" to let a perspective teacher at least know your serious and have actually given consideration to the time and effort your asking them to dedicate to you. Have given serious consideration to your own commitment and what all that will entail as well. The least of which is you have an idea of what your doing now and where you want to go for the teacher at best serves to show you the pathway to get there not to show you the destination you seek.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            why would someone take you as a student? You've not answered any of the previous postings asking what your pathway is. It's been a few days so one would think you'd at least say something along the lines of "Let me think about it and i'll answer it in a bit" to let a perspective teacher at least know your serious and have actually given consideration to the time and effort your asking them to dedicate to you.
            First of all, I wasn't asking anyone to take me on as a student. I was simply looking for input from people that have found a mentor or have taken on the task of mentoring someone as to how they went about it so that I could consider my options.

Second of all, I'm sorry that I didn't respond in what YOU might consider a timely fashion but I do have a full-time job and run a household. I do what I can as far as getting on here and trying to learn as much as I can, but it isn't always going to be an every day thing. I get busy just like I'm sure everyone else does.

Now, in response to the OTHER comments, I'm Wiccan, but I'm learning as much as I can about other traditions. I'm drawn to Native American spirituality especially. Also, the Greek and Celtic traditions.

Comment

There are online classes and schools you could try. I'm normally skeptical of such things, but I've been participating in one for the last 2 months and found it incredibly beneficial, so there are good ones out there, although I don't know any for Wicca specifically.

Comment

First of all, I wasn't asking anyone to take me on as a student. I was simply looking for input from people that have found a mentor or have taken on the task of mentoring someone as to how they went about it so that I could consider my options.
                Well excuse me for actually reading how you titled this thread. Looking for a mentor / teacher. I suppose then we should totally disregard this aspect
                I've heard that when the student is ready, the teacher will come. So I guess this is my way of putting myself out there to see what manifests
                Nothing there about looking for options or discussion of possibilities.

Second of all, I'm sorry that I didn't respond in what YOU might consider a timely fashion but I do have a full-time job and run a household. I do what I can as far as getting on here and trying to learn as much as I can, but it isn't always going to be an every day thing. I get busy just like I'm sure everyone else does.
                Then your not ready to be a student or serious practitioner and commit the time and dedication one needs in my opinion. I wouldn't attempt to speak for others but i'd not even consider taking on someone as their mentor, guide, teacher if they couldn't make the time to meet the commitment that would be asked. The fact that many others have equally or greater demanding lives but find the time to pursue their desires and dedicate the time needed to pursue those desires and / or goals speaks volumes in my opinion. Any one can make excuse for why they can't or won't do a thing, but in the end its still just an excuse.

Now, in response to the OTHER comments, I'm Wiccan, but I'm learning as much as I can about other traditions. I'm drawn to Native American spirituality especially. Also, the Greek and Celtic traditions.
                Lets see Native American Spirituality covers approximately 350 different nations with each having a different way of doing things with just the US / Canadian nations which typically doesn't touch Central and South American native practices which are also Native American Nations and their practices. That not touching difference that may occur within a given nation such as the difference between say the Western Cherokee and Eastern Cherokee for instance. So that's a rather broad mouthful to try and digest much less claim. Especially considering when people speak of it (Native American Practices) it usually seems to be pertaining to Lakota (Sioux) or Cherokee (Tsagli) peoples and then cultural appropriation. Hellenic (Greek) is also another complex system if one tries to do more than ape whatever the latest Book initiated Wiccan or Neo Wiccan author or publisher is trying to push as Wicca. Considering Celtic is a language group and not a pantheon like Greek or Roman again makes a challenging adventure unless again one resorts to the typical Book initiated Wiccan or Neo Wiccan published practices.

With regards to Wicca, sorry i'm old school in that aspect which means one has to have a lineage to be called a Wiccan and recognized as such. Otherwise they are simply Book initiated Wiccan's, Neo-Wiccan's or Pagan's who pick and choose but never really touch inner court mysticism or experiences. Not to say they are lessor only that they are not practicing Wicca as I understand it to be.

But I do hope you can find someone who is willing to work with you on your schedule. Though it may not sound like it i'll be glad to help you if I can so please feel free to ask.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The OP withheld comment for roughly three days, not three weeks. I've withheld comment for longer in threads of interest just to see what type of discussions would pop up without me being active. I'm especially guilty of it with small threads. Regardless of that point though, there's a difference between what type of time can be committed to instruction and the amount of time that's just generally available. I can work my schedule into a pretzel. I'm not going to when I'm just testing out an idea or making initial queries. That type of commitment is offered later on after I have some idea of what I'm looking at and where I'm going. Expecting the same degree of commitment at the initial query stage as one would expect from a pledged student is ill-advised.

General notice and this is not in green-speak because tone doesn't convey well in text and I'm choosing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Stay frosty people. General unpleasantness toward fellow members is a restricted privilege and I don't share well.
                  Last edited by MaskedOne; 14 Nov 2013, 20:02. Reason: cutting down excess grumpiness
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Alright, if you want my opinion/experience as both a student and a mentor, it's that a teacher will expect you to work around THEIR schedule. While they will likely be accommodating in regards to many things (I could often call my mentor up and head over to her place in 15 minutes time, without a problem) at the end of the day, they are the one that gets to call the shots.

A person I met recently in my town asked me if I could teach her energy work. I said "Sure, but it will have to wait until next Monday." She has to wait a week. Why? Because I'm bloody exhausted. I had the social commitments from hell LAST week and I was taking THIS week to recover.

Just something to think about, since I've run into a lot of would-be students with seriously annoying entitlement issues.

Comment

I would like to second what Masked One has posted. I would also like to add that I - personally - feel that the OP's point has been completely missed. Of course, I could be misinterpreting the initial request. If I were to put myself into the OP's shoes, I would find some of these responses condescending and not very helpful. Isn't part of helping someone find their direction asking (the right) questions and not assuming you know exactly everything there is to know about the situation?

That said, I feel that in a situation where someone may find themselves living in an area where there is very little exposure to be had or support for an alternative path or lifestyle, often times the Online world is a great medium to find answers. Nera, have you checked out community sites or groups like on Facebook? Or Witchvox.com perhaps? I think once you find one or two networks that follow your interest, you may come across someone who may fit the bill or even an online support group of sorts that share similar struggles?

I consider myself lucky, in a way. My mentor was the same person as my mother's mentor. She found her mentor by happenstance on AOL (back when that was still a big/ger deal) in a pagan oriented chat room. My mother, at the time, was a single mom with three kids and a full time job and things still worked out. Our mentor was always available and even set up a network for all her students of varying levels to communicate and educate each other via yahoo groups, and now facebook groups. I think it works great to keep in touch with like minded people even when there's the obstacle of thousands of miles between them.
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                      Sneak Attack
                      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Realistically we are all shooting in the dark here. And until the OP clarifies, that's all anyone can do. Perhaps even after clarification is given. Miscommunications are common place in text based media as the written word it an art form with many levels of nuances...or perceived nuances which are really one's own bias.

As far as my own mentoring style goes, I'll ask questions, but I do so in the hopes off getting the other person to think things through for themselves more then anything else. Some people thrive on that. Some don't.

I really, wouldn't recommend facebook as a source for mentoring. Even though I run a group called Beginner's Basics over there. The sheer amount of tripe one must wade through in facebook is ridiculous.

The biggest probably I have with online mentoring is that it's very, VERY hard to teach energy work or anything similar over the internet. It's amazing what energy work permeates in a whole host of paths/practices.

Comment

My bad for not specifying the facebook group I am in is a private one and only approved people from the group leaders can gain access. Public/Open FB groups, I share your sentiment and I personally don't bother unless I'm looking for something specific.
                          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                          Sneak Attack
                          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                            My bad for not specifying the facebook group I am in is a private one and only approved people from the group leaders can gain access. Public/Open FB groups, I share your sentiment and I personally don't bother unless I'm looking for something specific.
                            Mine is a "closed" group. And while we have plenty of knowledgeable people from a variety of paths, I doubt anyone would want to be an online mentor. Engage in discussion, answer questions, posts ideas, sure. But not mentor a specific person. I honestly think that mentoring needs to be one-on-one and take place in meatlife.

Comment

Quite a warm and fuzzy place you've got here! Lol

If I haven't been clear, I apologize, but what I said is where I stand. I practice Wicca and I'm still new at that - just kind of finding my own way.

Monsno, thanks but no thanks. I think our schedules would probably clash. I think a mentor should have more patience than you have shown me. So I'm going to pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X