Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle/Tarot Cards

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

Oracle/Tarot Cards

Okay, so I know what Tarot cards are. But what are Oracle cards? Is there a difference? I've primarily seen Oracle cards with Archangels on them, so I used to think they were just a Christian Offbrand version of Tarot Cards.... So what are they?

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

Re: Oracle/Tarot Cards

oh oh! I can answer this one as it's actually a part of the book on tarot spreads that I'm writing!!The best way to answer is to give a comparison, to which I'm gunna go over just a little bit of what you probably already know for those that might not.

Tarot cards typically come in a standard 78 card deck. You've got 22 Major arcana cards (0-21), and 56 Minor arcana broken down into four suits (typically seen as wands, cups, swords, and either coins or pentacles depending on the deck) with each containing Ace through 10 and then 4 court cards (Page, Knight, Queen, King).

Now, with 98% of tarot decks-this set up doesn't change. The Rider-Waite deck you pick up is going to have the exact same cards and set up as (for example) my Celtic Dragon tarot deck. The only difference between them will be the artwork. The cards will all still generally have the exact same meanings behind each one consistently between almost any deck you pick up.

-------

Now, with ORACLE cards on the other hand.....throw all that out. Unless you go and you buy another copy of the same deck, no two decks are going to be the same. None of the cards will be the same. None of the meanings will match between different decks. They might not even have the same amount of card numbers between the decks. My Heart of Faerie Oracle deck has 65 cards while my Oracle of the DragonFae deck only has 43 cards in it.

Now, like you said some have Archangels on them, others are faerie themed, or like my dragonfae deck......but each one is going to be individual to the person who developed the deck and the artist(s) who did all the artwork for it. So learning one deck and the meanings behind the cards wont translate over to another deck the same way as tarot decks do.

They're both tools for divination or even just for general advice-but that's the biggest difference between the two.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Tarot tends to have a unifying structure. 78 cards divided into greater and lesser arcana. Precise meanings change in shading across decks but you can also expect a decent amount of similarity in card purpose if not in detail. Oracle cards may serve the same functions but they don't follow the same structure as a Tarot deck.

i.e.
    square vs rectangle vs rhombus

least that's what a 2 minute google search tells me.

EDIT: Or just take Yorin's explanation. I really should consistently check for updates before submitting.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

You condensed it for me

Mar 2013
    Religion

Yorin... That about answered everything! Thank you ^_^

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase

Lol, you're welcome? It's no problem. The fact that I managed to do so in a way that you got it means I'm on the right track for my book ^_^

Mar 2013
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Yorin View Post
    Lol, you're welcome? It's no problem. The fact that I managed to do so in a way that you got it means I'm on the right track for my book ^_^
    huzzah! I hope your book goes well.

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Malflick View Post
    huzzah! I hope your book goes well.
    Me too, gotta finish all the artwork for it first though lol

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Celtic pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Yorin View Post
    ... Celtic Dragon tarot deck...
    How do you like that deck? I've had a few people tell me that I should get that deck. And only one of them knew that I follow a Celtic tradition and that my guardian Spirit seems to be a dragon (I think, not sure about that).

Keep in mind that it appears that I'm really not supposed to touch a tarot deck (odd things happen, and the card make no sense). Actually, I get the impression that I'm not supposed to even sit down for a reading (the readings are convoluted at best and nothing comes to pass). I have a R-W deck, just to get familiar with tarot. I'm pretty certain that divination is not what I'm supposed to be doing; and least of all tarot readings. But I would like to become acquainted with it enough that I'm not totally lost when someone is talking about it. Kind of like how I am familiar with a piano; but it is obvious that I should not touch one of them, either.

I know that every person will get different results with a given deck. And I know that each deck is different; like it has it's own personality, for lack of better explanation. With that said, do you feel a better connection with the Celtic Dragon deck than the R-W? Or maybe I should say do you seem to be able to connect or communicate easier with it?

Does the deck, or maybe the artwork, have any bearing on how the deck works... in general, or for an individual? As you say, most of the decks are the same except for the artwork. I guess what I'm trying to ask is: Is one deck better for a given type of reading than another? Or is it more because a person likes the deck and therefore, puts more of their energy into that deck?

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarn View Post
    How do you like that deck? I've had a few people tell me that I should get that deck. And only one of them knew that I follow a Celtic tradition and that my guardian Spirit seems to be a dragon (I think, not sure about that). ..
    Off topic reply but what I always found interesting is a Celtic Dragon deck when dragons are not a great part of Celtic lore. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single Celtic based dragon story. Plenty of Nordic or Teutonic, lots of later Germanic or Slavic and cross overs into Hellenic / Roman from the middle east but none originating with a Celtic influence. Many of the western ones actually tied to Christian motifs of the Knight against Satan type imagery, especially St. George and the Dragon.

I love dragons dearly but i'd not waste my money on a Celtic dragon deck as it all has to be more than just fantasy but fantasy upon fantasy at best in my opinion.