Religion
    Spiritual Humanist Atheist
    Phrase
    The cake is a lie

Can a binge eater lose weight?

I really really really want to and need to lose weight but my binge eating
    disorder is causing complications.

As soon as I start counting calories
    or anything like that I become obsessed. I see everything in terms of calories.
    When I know I have blown it due to a binge I try to restrict my intake to try
    and make up for it and end up bingeing again because I feel so guilty about it.
    I also end up weighing myself every single day.

When I am not trying to
    lose weight I can manage my binges a lot better but my weight doesnt move. I am
    not sure what to do. I do not want to be #kg for the rest of my life :/

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Re: Can a binge eater lose weight?

Why not try the South Beach Diet? You eat 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks and a dessert. There are 3 phases and I think it is a pretty good diet. You might want to try it. You won't have to weigh yourself everyday or count calories.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    The cake is a lie

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    Why not try the South Beach Diet? You eat 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks and a dessert. There are 3 phases and I think it is a pretty good diet. You might want to try it. You won't have to weigh yourself everyday or count calories.
    Sounds restrictive.
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

William Wordsworth

Jan 2013
    Religion
    Hermetics

Do you exercise? I'm losing weight atm, and it's a pain in the ass, but in the end it comes down to a reasonably balanced diet and burning more calories than you consume. It's simple math at the end of the day, calories out > calories in = weight loss. You just need to keep at it until you hit the point where you realize you hate being overweight more than you hate missing out on your favorite foods and the emotional comfort they provide. The big thing I found is to not give up: you're gonna screw up both dieting and exercise at times, skip a day or binge on shitty food, that's just life, but you can choose to use that as either motivation to keep going or an excuse to blow it off.

I personally don't think you need to count every calory, just make some sensible diet choices - cut off fast food, junk food, soft drink, brown bread instead of white, a bit of fruit/veg every day, reduce beer/wine intake if you drink them regularly, and only eat when you're hungry. Throw in exercise, and you should hit a calory deficit fairly easily.

Sounds restrictive.
    Any change you make is going to seem restrictive. You aren't going to lose weight until you come to terms with the idea of serious and permanent lifestyle changes. There's no way to lose weight while not having to invest time and effort or change your diet and give up some of your favorite foods. Your current lifestyle is the reason you're overweight in the first place, trying to keep it will just result in you continuing to gain more.

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    The cake is a lie

Quote Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
    Do you exercise? I'm losing weight atm, and it's a pain in the ass, but in the end it comes down to a reasonably balanced diet and burning more calories than you consume. It's simple math at the end of the day, calories out > calories in = weight loss. You just need to keep at it until you hit the point where you realize you hate being overweight more than you hate missing out on your favorite foods and the emotional comfort they provide. The big thing I found is to not give up: you're gonna screw up both dieting and exercise at times, skip a day or binge on shitty food, that's just life, but you can choose to use that as either motivation to keep going or an excuse to blow it off.

I personally don't think you need to count every calory, just make some sensible diet choices - cut off fast food, junk food, soft drink, brown bread instead of white, a bit of fruit/veg every day, reduce beer/wine intake if you drink them regularly, and only eat when you're hungry. Throw in exercise, and you should hit a calory deficit fairly easily.

Any change you make is going to seem restrictive. You aren't going to lose weight until you come to terms with the idea of serious and permanent lifestyle changes. There's no way to lose weight while not having to invest time and effort or change your diet and give up some of your favorite foods. Your current lifestyle is the reason you're overweight in the first place, trying to keep it will just result in you continuing to gain more.
    Yeah I do exercise. I do some walks here and there and I also do a bit of zumba here and there.

I have to be careful not to restrict too much as this triggers binges. I need to go on hunger rather than eating at particular times to manage the binging which obviously makes losing weight difficult.
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

William Wordsworth

Jan 2013
    Religion
    Hermetics

I'd try and intensify that exercise a bit, even just 15 minutes on a treadmill every day can be enough to tip you over the edge into a caloric deficit.

This might seem a bit off topic, but do you practice any kind of meditation or internal development system? I've found that the discipline these practices develop has been of huge benefit to me in getting into shape and losing weight.

You could also look into yoga, there are systems of yoga which actually give you a rather intense workout. This one comes particularly recommended from another website I read (http://www.ddpyoga.com/) but I'm sure you could find others if you want classes in person.

Jun 2006
    Religion
    Hedge Pantheism
    Phrase
    Whatever satisfies the soul is the truth

Don't diet, though eventually you will have to count/restrict calories to lose weight. Exercise is important, but it alone will not lose your fat. I speak from experience, and I've lost 46 lbs this year with about 20-25 to go to get to my happy place. I'm on a maintenance break right now, and those are important so you don't mess up your metabolism as you lose.

If you are bingeing, you need to address that first. You have to figure out why you do it, and deal with it. You have to get past the emotional baggage -- its frankly more important than the size of your body anyway. Don't expect to be perfect and never screw up, but you have to change the whole way you look at food.

I'd suggest reading some of Geneen Roth's books. They talk about the emotional side of eating that tends to be ignored when people set out on a quest for small jeans. Once you realize hunger is a trigger to eat, not stuff yourself until you throw up, the rest is easy. Less calories in than you burn = weight lost. Simple as that, and harder than it sounds.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I don't know you personally so I don't know what you're doing, but it could be that you're trying to be too restrictive. Sometimes when you cut too much, you set yourself up for failure because you feel deprived. This causes you to binge. Your best bet is to reduce calories slowly and let your body get used to the reduced intake. Replace common snack foods with alternatives you like to help keep you from binging. For example, I really like chips/crisps, so I make salted, air-popped popcorn or kale chips and eat those instead. I also really love chocolate and I find that fruit satisfies my sweet tooth a lot of the time.

If you still can't help but binge, maybe it might help you to talk to a counsellor? It's a real eating disorder for a lot of people and sometimes it can be really hard to get over on your own.

Apr 2005
    Religion
    Hedgewitch

Are you actually getting some sort of therapy or medical treatment for your binge eating? Binge eating disorder is, you know, an actual eating disorder. It's all well and good for us to talk about weight loss tips, but if you're not getting some sort of actual treatment, I don't think it's going to help much. I'm assuming you know the basics of weight loss... use more calories than you eat. That's really the only way to do it. However, as you've pointed out... very often for binge eaters, trying to control calories leads to more issues. If you legitimately have an eating disorder, you probably need more than what folks here can give. Like any other disorder or medical condition, if you're not getting the appropriate help, it's quite hard to get better...

Quote Originally Posted by dgirl1986 View Post
    Yeah I do exercise. I do some walks here and there and I also do a bit of zumba here and there.
    How often is "here and there?" Thirty minutes daily is usually the minimum I see recommended, where sixty minutes seems to be an even better goal to shoot for - especially for people trying to lose weight. I know it's not always easy trying to fit that into a day-to-day schedule (I shoot for 60 mins daily, but I can't always make it), but it might be about all you can do for right now.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenia View Post
    How often is "here and there?" Thirty minutes daily is usually the minimum I see recommended, where sixty minutes seems to be an even better goal to shoot for - especially for people trying to lose weight. I know it's not always easy trying to fit that into a day-to-day schedule (I shoot for 60 mins daily, but I can't always make it), but it might be about all you can do for right now.
    for just maintenance, I do 60 minutes cardio three times a week, plus an aquafit class, plus yoga once a week. For weight loss, I would up that to 60 minutes of something that gets your heart rate up, 6 days a week. IMO.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.