Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: crossed bloodlines

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    I agree with monso. Someone could be playing you for a fool. I hope not though.
    I lean in your direction, but with a slight twist. It is possible that this friend honestly believes what they have told Kpro. They are not playing kpro for a fool. They believe what they have divined is true... even though they are, most likely, wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarn View Post
      I lean in your direction, but with a slight twist. It is possible that this friend honestly believes what they have told Kpro. They are not playing kpro for a fool. They believe what they have divined is true... even though they are, most likely, wrong.
      ...or just as possibly correct. I recently read an article on genealogy that pointed out that, when doing a family tree, at twenty generations your tree has 1,048,576 people in the twentieth generation alone. I believe the article used twenty five years per generation, taking twenty generations back 500 years. In the early 1500s, the estimated population of the planet was under 600,000 people, about half the number required to produce twenty generations today. The point is we're not all simply related, we're at least double-related (and each generation back is multiplied by two, and the further back, the lower the actual global population, therefore the more inter-related we are, back to the original Seven Mothers). So if there was an actual Merlin, it's likely we are all his kin... several times. That is simply math.

As to being descended from gods, well, I believe I am. That is simply faith. I don't find the two mutually exclusive.
      Last edited by Rick; 20 Nov 2013, 20:43.
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        ...or just as possibly correct. I recently read an article on genealogy that pointed out that, when doing a family tree, at twenty generations your tree has 1,048,576 people in the twentieth generation alone. I believe the article used twenty five years per generation, taking twenty generations back 500 years. In the early 1500s, the estimated population if the planet was under 600,000 people, about half the number required to produce twenty generations today. The point is we're not all simply related, we're at least double-related (and each generation back is multiplied by two, and the further back, the lower the actual global population, therefore the more inter-related we are, back to the original Seven Mothers). So if there was an actual Merlin, it's likely we are all his kin... several times.
        thats a a unique thought. Never thought about it like that.

Comment

...or just as possibly correct. I recently read an article on genealogy that pointed out that, when doing a family tree, at twenty generations your tree has 1,048,576 people in the twentieth generation alone. I believe the article used twenty five years per generation, taking twenty generations back 500 years. In the early 1500s, the estimated population if the planet was under 600,000 people, about half the number required to produce twenty generations today. The point is we're not all simply related, we're at least double-related (and each generation back is multiplied by two, and the further back, the lower the actual global population, therefore the more inter-related we are, back to the original Seven Mothers). So if there was an actual Merlin, it's likely we are all his kin... several times.
          But a line with no descendant is still a dead line. Historically and mythology wise the best one might get is to be a descendant from any sibling he might have had. Yet that like heraldry does not grant nor suggest you have the same energy, title or prestige as that person nor right to claim descent from him. That to me is the biggest issue here. It's not unlike trying to say you descend from one of the 6 brothers or sisters the bible says Jesus has. You may come off the same parent ancestor but you can't lay claim to being a descendant of Jesus because of it. A distant cousin perhaps but descendant not truthfully.

But I do agree that there is a difference between being distant kin to a person and being their descendant. I am kin to my fathers dead brother but I can not claim to be a descendant of his. As a norm in genealogy 25 is used as the age divider between generations.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by kpro12 View Post
            A wiccan friend of mine told me that i am decendant. of the druid Merlyn and a Norse god. Can bloolines cross in such manners,
            I guess I'm one of the few people who believes that deities actually can have some sort of impact on human genetics. But I have to qualify that pretty heavily, because I do NOT believe that deities physically manifest in this world, have sex with a human, and produce a genetically hybrid human-god offspring. But I do think that a deity can be present at conception, or possess a body during sex, and therefore have some energetic influence on the embryo. I think the a living creature is a bit more complex than genetics and DNA (which is complex enough on it's own)... I think that the soul complex - the energetic part of the creature - can be influenced, adjusted, manipulated and customised by something that has the power and skill to do so.

Personally, I think that is the source of the supposed deity-hybrids or deity-offspring or deity-kin.

I also happen to believe that it is possible that a deity may have incarnated in human form and procreated with humans during that incarnation. Rick already mentioned about the stories of Rig... technically if you have an ounce of Northern blood in you (which most of us do) you COULD claim to be the kin of a Norse god (of Heimdall, specifically). But then so could the rest of us.

But at the end of the day I'm pretty much with Torey and Rick on this one.

Originally posted by kpro12 View Post
            and if so, can someone help me find the full extent of my bloodline crosses?
            The simple answer to this, as evidenced by four pages of replies, is no.

We can't help you to prove or disprove your friend's theory. We can provide opinions and theories about what may or may not be possible, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              But a line with no descendant is still a dead line. Historically and mythology wise the best one might get is to be a descendant from any sibling he might have had. Yet that like heraldry does not grant nor suggest you have the same energy, title or prestige as that person nor right to claim descent from him. That to me is the biggest issue here. It's not unlike trying to say you descend from one of the 6 brothers or sisters the bible says Jesus has. You may come off the same parent ancestor but you can't lay claim to being a descendant of Jesus because of it. A distant cousin perhaps but descendant not truthfully.

But I do agree that there is a difference between being distant kin to a person and being their descendant. I am kin to my fathers dead brother but I can not claim to be a descendant of his. As a norm in genealogy 25 is used as the age divider between generations.
              There is no way to know if A. there was an actual Merlin (or Merddwyn, or etc), or B. if he had offspring, if he was real. But so far, you're the only one bringing up any 'energy' descending from him (the OP made no such claim). The Sagas are full of examples of dying men bequeathing their haminga ('luck,' or ability to affect one's Wyrd) to any person they chose. So in your example, someone wouldn't necessarily have to be a direct descendant of Merlin to 'inherit' Merlin's 'energy.'
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

There is no way to know if A. there was an actual Merlin (or Merddwyn, or etc), or B. if he had offspring, if he was real. But so far, you're the only one bringing up any 'energy' descending from him (the OP made no such claim). The Sagas are full of examples of dying men bequeathing their haminga ('luck,' or ability to affect one's Wyrd) to any person they chose. So in your example, someone wouldn't necessarily have to be a direct descendant of Merlin to 'inherit' Merlin's 'energy.'
                Main reason I hang onto the issue with Merlin is that he is not Nordic and I can't think of any Briton / Welsh tales of someone bequeathing their Luck or any such thing to another. The closest I can think of that even comes close is the notion of the Kings Litch or Tween which ties into the King and the Land are one type scenario. But then it is given to the king or ruler not some common joe type situation. But still very much Briton or Welsh not Nordic in nature. Yet within both those mythologies and lore Merlin has no offspring. Figure the depths the mythologies go to with Arthur and Mordrid you'd think any off spring that could be attribute to Merlin would be pretty well covered or even suggested, but there are none.

Considering the conflict that existed between the Britons and Welsh and the Saxon or Nordic peoples who invaded it seems highly unlikely there would be any connection between a Nordic god / goddess and Merlin. Of course that is assuming a Welsh / Briton Merlin actually did exist.

So it seems odd to me to consider that Nordic mythology would be aligned against Briton / Welsh mythology and practice. In many ways it seems to fall into the Cherry Picking product of taking a bit here and a bit there and forcing it to fit. Thus why I have mainly spoken about Merlin and not the Nordic gods / goddesses other than to say I understand some do claim a lineage to their gods / goddesses but not all.

Comment

I guess at the end of the day, it doesn't matter unless that relationship is part of your faith, i.e. Norse traditions, etc. And then it would just mean you are like everyone else with that blood, including me.

In my opinion, all that matters is what you do in the life you are living now. If it helps you to think you are of a special lineage, then you just go on believing it but please be wary that many people will judge that, and that's part of that package.

Comment

I am an hereditary human being.

And I'm fine with that. (I think. )
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                      I guess at the end of the day, it doesn't matter unless that relationship is part of your faith, i.e. Norse traditions, etc. And then it would just mean you are like everyone else with that blood, including me.

In my opinion, all that matters is what you do in the life you are living now. If it helps you to think you are of a special lineage, then you just go on believing it but please be wary that many people will judge that, and that's part of that package.
                      Going off topic reply

While in general I agree with this I can't help but wonder. Is it not also part of the reason so many insist that paganism as a whole is just teen's acting out and rebelling thus making it a fad vice a legitimate pathway. One of the first faces of paganism seems to be that of the Teen who finds Wicca and goes looking to become one of the charmed ones.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                        Going off topic reply

While in general I agree with this I can't help but wonder. Is it not also part of the reason so many insist that paganism as a whole is just teen's acting out and rebelling thus making it a fad vice a legitimate pathway. One of the first faces of paganism seems to be that of the Teen who finds Wicca and goes looking to become one of the charmed ones.
                        That's going to happen with anything that less mainstream that relies on faith. Well, that and the fact that many of the most vocal are rebellious teens and a lot of us discovered we could decide on our own what to believe at that age. I was 16 when I left the church. I was 20 when I did a self dedication as a pagan. I was pretty flaky at that point in retrospect but I had to go through all that to end up here. So foolish as it may have seemed at the time, I have no regrets.

I hope the OP gets to that point someday too.

Comment

Guys what if the Merlyn they said was not the one from legends...? But rather a guy named Merlyn lol...could this be possible and just be a confusion? Whos to say there was only the one from legends, there could of been a guy with that name and when told to this fine member the divination got confused by accident. At times this can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sondst View Post
                            Guys what if the Merlyn they said was not the one from legends...? But rather a guy named Merlyn lol...could this be possible and just be a confusion? Whos to say there was only the one from legends, there could of been a guy with that name and when told to this fine member the divination got confused by accident. At times this can happen.
                            While that is always a possibility i'd think it unlikely. Figure it'd be equal to someone claiming they are a descendant from Cleopatra, by name usage you'll automatically jump to the conclusion its Cleopatra VII because of cultural and historical symbology. The fact there were 6 other Cleopatra's in Egypt doesn't matter the strength from the name comes from Cleopatra VII and her association to Julius Ceasar and Marc Anthony.

From a reader, seerer or oracle perspective such a mistake would be unthinkable. One would think if there was even a remote possibility of there reading being incorrect that would be pushed more than what the actual reading was. However, I still think it highly unlikely such a determination was arrived at via a reading of ones aura. It seems far more likely name dropping, and names that would mean something to the person hearing them in my opinion. The sort of stuff one would expect to find at a carnival with their tarot readers or other divination offerings.

Comment

My eldest brother's best man at his wedding was called Merlyn. Both Merlyn, Merlin and Merddyn are very common first names where I live. And down the road is a place called Merlin's Bridge!
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X