Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demon days + New Year - when, where, how?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demon days + New Year - when, where, how?

Many cultures have their own new-year. Each has an unique form of celebration.
    But I can't find an exact date for the Kemetic new year and the Demon days that last before it. As far as I know, the Demon days last approximately between late July and August (Before the Kemetic new year).
    In addition, it can't possibly end with only offering something to the Gods and celebrating. How do you guys celebrate these days?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Demon days + New Year - when, where, how?

Oh I have just found the first half of the question. The Demon Days last like this:
    14th of July - Birthday of Wasir
    15th of July - Birthday of Hor
    16th of July - Birthday of Seth
    17th of July - Birthday of Aset
    18th of July - Birthday of Nebet-Het (Nephthys)
    In addition, during this period Djehuty is recommended to be mentioned because he participated in the Senet game with Khonsu.
    I didn't know what to offer during these 5 days, but likely I have found this link: http://thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/...ffering-guide/
    And as I understand, the Kemetic new year is on the 19th of July. I don't know how long it is unfortunately....
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Re: Demon days + New Year - when, where, how?

The Kemetic New Year--Wep Ronpet--is different depending on where you live. It is dependent upon the heliacal rising of Sopdet (Gr: Sirius). For example, in Colorado and New Mexico, Wep Ronpet generally falls around Aug 1.

The "Demon Days" preceding Wep Ronpet are almost uniformly unlucky (one of them is lucky, but I can't remember which. Ausir's birthday, probably.) At this time of year, the ancient Egyptians especially feared the Eye goddesses--Sekhmet and Bast mostly--, as They have some influence over the fate of mortals and have control of the Seven Arrows that can cause plague, make fertile land infertile, and dry up waters. Since the Eye goddess can be associated with the coming of the Nile, and the Nile's inundation happened around Wep Ronpet, there might have been a sense of, "will the Eye goddesses bring the Nile back?" And we can't forget the Netjeru at Elephantine.

One Netjer or another also has the Book of the Year, which foretells who will live and who will die.

Every few years, the ancient Egyptians' calendar would get skewed and so there would be an extra month. That month was dedicated to Djehuty, if memory serves correctly.

Wep Ronpet and the days preceding it are a great time for execration rites. They're a good time to renew wards, charms, etc. as well.
      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Working...
      X