Help on intro to spellcraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on intro to spellcraft?

Hi guys. I was wondering if any of you had any good recommendations for websites or books where I could start researching witchcraft/spellcraft? I've always had a interest in looking into it, though I had never tried any spells. I tend to get thrown off by it when I try to search for information on my own. It seems like whenever I try to research online, I come across sites that have a bunch of flashing pumpkins and black cats, with orange glittering words all over the place. Which have spells that are based on Wicca (I'm not Wiccan), and are super simple and.. well, kind of silly. Once I start reading those short, very badly-written, rhyming poems that you have to recite three times, I exit out and give up. :=L: (I hope that's not offensive, I don't mean to be, but those types of things turn me off from it because it doesn't seem serious.)

I'm looking for information on general spell-craft, since I'm not a Wiccan, so I'm not searching for any rituals that are based on Wicca. I'm interested in learning about the different properties of items that one uses (candles, herbs, incenses, symbols, etc), and information on how people use them to form spells, charms, rituals, etc.

I hope it's okay to ask this here, I didn't see an intro thread, but I need some advice on where to find some genuine sources.

Re: Help on intro to spellcraft?

I'm exceptionally new to it to. Lots of those spells turn me off as well. I am not wiccan but I do believe myself to practise old witch craft techniques.

I have gained a lot of knowledge through forums like this myself. I've read a few books. I've looked to many in my local communities, especially in regards to romani witchcraft. I think sometimes you have to think out of the box to get more complex spell work.

Comment

As a general rule, advanced practitioners aren't posting spells on website for anyone to look at. Spell casting is serious business.

Can I ask what you are looking for specifically? If you are hoping to just start casting spells without the knowledge to back it up, at best, nothing will happen. At worst? Well, it can backfire in big ways. Every different tradition has different ways to go about spellcasting, different meanings for different ingredients, methods. There is no "one right way" as most spell casting is about intent. There are many different traditions with very strong opinions about the right way however so you probably need to start there.

Comment

Just have to add one addendum here, that being spells are not based upon Wicca though Wicca maybe the function in which they are performed. Just because the dressings are Wiccanesq does not mean the scope and construction belong to Wicca.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Oh! Oh! I can plug my FB group Beginner's Basics. Folks are absolutely welcome to come by, ask questions and get help with magical basics, or share ideas and experiences (we have a lot of old time practitioners as members). But to be perfectly honest the best teacher is going to be YOU as you try things. Trial and error can be annoying and it can be time consuming but what you learn is going to be entirely personal to you and your life/path.
          "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
            As a general rule, advanced practitioners aren't posting spells on website for anyone to look at. Spell casting is serious business.

Can I ask what you are looking for specifically? If you are hoping to just start casting spells without the knowledge to back it up, at best, nothing will happen. At worst? Well, it can backfire in big ways. Every different tradition has different ways to go about spellcasting, different meanings for different ingredients, methods. There is no "one right way" as most spell casting is about intent. There are many different traditions with very strong opinions about the right way however so you probably need to start there.
            Bolded mine.

That has been both my experience and my practice. Most of those I associate with are more than willing to discuss why we choose certain things in sympathetic magics but spell construction is usually not discussed on any boards. When we cross into high or ceremonial workings then its even less likely to be discussed indepth or practice though various componet aspects might be discussed.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Rowanwood has the right idea, without a trained mind to focus the spell and control the relevant forces, you just have a bunch of props and bad poetry. The flip side is that once you have trained your mind, you can throw a spell together out of almost anything. If you're interested in practicing magic, worry less about finding a specific spell and more about finding a good training system which fits your desires and inclinations.

Comment

One problem I've found is that while people talk about the basics that are needed, they rarely detail what those are or how they are accomplished. It's rather understandable that new folks are clueless about such things.

That said, if someone is handing out spells, that's a real good indication that you should smile and walk away. And spell begging...well let's just say I have lots of bbq sauce on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcat View Post
                  Hi guys. I was wondering if any of you had any good recommendations for websites or books where I could start researching witchcraft/spellcraft? I've always had a interest in looking into it, though I had never tried any spells. I tend to get thrown off by it when I try to search for information on my own. It seems like whenever I try to research online, I come across sites that have a bunch of flashing pumpkins and black cats, with orange glittering words all over the place. Which have spells that are based on Wicca (I'm not Wiccan), and are super simple and.. well, kind of silly. Once I start reading those short, very badly-written, rhyming poems that you have to recite three times, I exit out and give up. :=L: (I hope that's not offensive, I don't mean to be, but those types of things turn me off from it because it doesn't seem serious.)

I'm looking for information on general spell-craft, since I'm not a Wiccan, so I'm not searching for any rituals that are based on Wicca. I'm interested in learning about the different properties of items that one uses (candles, herbs, incenses, symbols, etc), and information on how people use them to form spells, charms, rituals, etc.

I hope it's okay to ask this here, I didn't see an intro thread, but I need some advice on where to find some genuine sources.
                  I am not a witch, nor do I play one on TV, but Mrs. Rick teaches non-wiccan year-and-a-day classes IRL, and she recommends the works of Dorothy Morrison.
                  I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                  Tribe of my Tribe
                  Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                  And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I'm not looking to start casting spells without knowledge. Nor am I looking for spells, at all. I was hoping for some help on researching the techniques people use, the ingredients and what they mean/symbolize, learn how people figure all this out basically. I have never done a spell, nor even the simple silly ones online because I take it very seriously and would not want anything to backfire, so I am aware of that and hence never have done anything.

The thing is I need help because, you say there are many different traditions and to start there. Well, I need help because, I have no idea what these traditions are. :=L: How many are there, what are their names? See, I'm kind of really starting from scratch here! lol. I just want to reassure everyone, that I am not planning on performing any spells. That's not how I roll this stuff, I'm just hoping to start learning about it.

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                    Rowanwood has the right idea, without a trained mind to focus the spell and control the relevant forces, you just have a bunch of props and bad poetry. The flip side is that once you have trained your mind, you can throw a spell together out of almost anything. If you're interested in practicing magic, worry less about finding a specific spell and more about finding a good training system which fits your desires and inclinations.
                    So as I said, I'm not looking for any specific spell. If I ever get knowledgeable enough, I'd think I'd want to make my own spell, so I can personalize it to any specific needs I have.. But I can't say anything for sure, since I still am ignorant. But I'm not some young teen that is looking to do a love spell tomorrow, lol. I seriously would like to start sincerely learning about it - so, obvious question to me, how do I train my mind? What are you referring to when you say that?

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                    One problem I've found is that while people talk about the basics that are needed, they rarely detail what those are or how they are accomplished. It's rather understandable that new folks are clueless about such things.
                    Yes, this is my confusion here! I'm not sure what these basics are that everyone is referring to. I know I need to start at the very beginning, my question is: what is the beginning? lol.

And thank you for linking to that FB page, I will check it out.

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    I am not a witch, nor do I play one on TV, but Mrs. Rick teaches non-wiccan year-and-a-day classes IRL, and she recommends the works of Dorothy Morrison.
                    Thank you, I will look up those works.
                    Last edited by wildcat; 23 Nov 2013, 08:48.

Comment

I'm recommend digging around in the forum as a great place to start, if you are just looking to get an intro. There are faiths of multitudes represented here. There are sub-forums for similar practices and there are offshoots all over the place.

A lot of books will have a Wiccan direction, primarily because that's what some people think is the PC term for witchcraft. It's not, but a lot of people use the words interchangeably. There are good beginning Wiccan books out there, along with intros to ceremonial magic etc. They tend to just scratch the surface and talk about the most basic of basics, but that's probably where most of us started. Heck, once I even owned a book by Silver Ravenwolf before I knew better. But even if that book was full of stupid, it helped me identify fantasy vs reality.

Read everything you can get your hands on, but don't limit yourself to the occult section. Read comparative mythology, read Joseph Campbell, read Jung, read the Illiad. Walk in the wood, or splash in the tub, think too much. Stay awake late and get up too early. Burn incense and figure out how the smells make you feel. Paint and see how the colors effect you. Breathe in cold wind and smoke from a fire and salt spray and dirt under your fingernails. Soak it all in and eventually, a path will appear....just like magic.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcat View Post
                        The thing is I need help because, you say there are many different traditions and to start there.
                        At this point, I wouldn't worry about traditions. Finding a tradition you like is a lot of leg work and sampling as you see what fits. And really, this would be step two in my book. Step one is basic energy work: Grounding, Centring and Shielding. IMNSHO, your first priority should be to get familiar with sensing and directing energy, because if you can't do that then pretty much all magical work (even things as simple as casting a circle) will be out of your reach.

See the blog link in my signature? Go there. I give how-to instructions on a lot of things. Just remember that this is MY way of doing things. It's not the only way out there.

Comment

So as I said, I'm not looking for any specific spell. If I ever get knowledgeable enough, I'd think I'd want to make my own spell, so I can personalize it to any specific needs I have.. But I can't say anything for sure, since I still am ignorant. But I'm not some young teen that is looking to do a love spell tomorrow, lol. I seriously would like to start sincerely learning about it - so, obvious question to me, how do I train my mind? What are you referring to when you say that?
                          In short, you're looking for a system of meditation, ritual work etc. which will develop your concentration and your ability to sense/accumulate/control metaphysical forces ('energy'). I'm not sure what your background is, but I can recommend some (or just a general reading list) if you want when I'm back here tomorrow.

Comment

I'm recommend digging around in the forum as a great place to start, if you are just looking to get an intro. There are faiths of multitudes represented here. There are sub-forums for similar practices and there are offshoots all over the place.

A lot of books will have a Wiccan direction, primarily because that's what some people think is the PC term for witchcraft. It's not, but a lot of people use the words interchangeably. There are good beginning Wiccan books out there, along with intros to ceremonial magic etc. They tend to just scratch the surface and talk about the most basic of basics, but that's probably where most of us started. Heck, once I even owned a book by Silver Ravenwolf before I knew better. But even if that book was full of stupid, it helped me identify fantasy vs reality.

Read everything you can get your hands on, but don't limit yourself to the occult section. Read comparative mythology, read Joseph Campbell, read Jung, read the Illiad. Walk in the wood, or splash in the tub, think too much. Stay awake late and get up too early. Burn incense and figure out how the smells make you feel. Paint and see how the colors effect you. Breathe in cold wind and smoke from a fire and salt spray and dirt under your fingernails. Soak it all in and eventually, a path will appear....just like magic.

I'll definitely dig through all the threads on here and get familiar with what I can. I have picked up and read through a few Wiccan books, but I felt I didn't get as good an explanation on magick as I would have wanted. They were beginner books, it was full of directions on a ritual, but of course I didn't do it. But that's like someone telling you the steps of a math equation, but not explaining what "X, Y and Z" actually stand for in the equation and what it means. And they didn't explain how to prepare mentally for it.

I read a whole lot, mythology, psychology, Homer. I'm not a stranger to polytheism, but magick I'm a pure beginner. I'm a nature-worshipper, so what you suggest sounds great about getting in touch with how I feel about certain things and start to form what associations I can with how they make me intuitively feel.

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                            At this point, I wouldn't worry about traditions. Finding a tradition you like is a lot of leg work and sampling as you see what fits. And really, this would be step two in my book. Step one is basic energy work: Grounding, Centring and Shielding. IMNSHO, your first priority should be to get familiar with sensing and directing energy, because if you can't do that then pretty much all magical work (even things as simple as casting a circle) will be out of your reach.

See the blog link in my signature? Go there. I give how-to instructions on a lot of things. Just remember that this is MY way of doing things. It's not the only way out there.
                            I took a quick look at the blog, it seems great, thank you, I'll read it! I think you are right about starting with focusing on energy work.

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                            In short, you're looking for a system of meditation, ritual work etc. which will develop your concentration and your ability to sense/accumulate/control metaphysical forces ('energy'). I'm not sure what your background is, but I can recommend some (or just a general reading list) if you want when I'm back here tomorrow.
                            My religious background you mean? I was an Hellenic polytheist, and now am a Naturalistic Polytheist/Nature-worshipper. No background with magick. I would appreciate any reading list you can recommend, thank you.

Comment

Personally to get started I would recommend starting a daily mediation and grounding/centering. Also staring to do warding, cleaning and such around the house. Start researching herbs. All this can be researched online with no cost. As far as spells bottle spells are nice to start. Bottles you can save after they are empty and once you decide what you want to do you can research your herbs, colors, ingredients and write up any words you want to use. Helps with learning and focus.

Comment

Working...
                              X