This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know it's winter...

...when you open your front door and are greeted by snow knocking you over on to your ass.
    well...
    apparently also when an Ice Tsunami knocks your house down... who knew.
    That is all.
    Last edited by Guest; 28 Nov 2013, 02:58.

Re: you know it's winter...

You know it's winter when it starts raining.

[4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
      You know it's winter when it starts raining.

lol you guys have such awesome winters in Egypt...I can only dream of rain being the worst thing I face in the winter... *off to dreamland*

Comment

You know it is winter when there is a whole week of sub 70F (21C) weather... and rain.

Still shorts and flipflop weather to me (I grew up where it actually snows in winter)... the locals are all bundled up like it is below freezing.

Makes me laugh.
        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I think I would hate Texas on account of weather. If sub 70 F is cold there then Texas heat would probably send me postal.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

^^^ Yeah, weather where you can bake pizza on your car hood is probably a bit much......LOL
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

When it's snowing and the dogs won't go out in the snow.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                I think I would hate Texas on account of weather. If sub 70 F is cold there then Texas heat would probably send me postal.
                In fairness, it depends on where in Texas you are (it is a big place). Where I am, being in the very southern tip of Texas, it never gets very cold (we get a day or two that dip into the 30s per year)... but also, being on the coast, it never gets very hot, either. The Gulf Breeze keeps that in check. 95-98F is about the hottest it ever gets where I live.

Granted, the humidity here makes things different. 40 here feels MUCH colder than 20-30 back home in the Panhandle. And 90 feels hotter than 100+ in the Panhandle... but, there is ALWAYS a nice breeze coming off the water to help. It doesn't take too long to acclimatize to it... Go further inland here in South Texas, though, and it is a different story.
                "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

You know it's winter when spit bounces.

Comment

Beeches, please.

You know it's winter when you have to plug your van into your block heater overnight, and it still barely starts in the morning. Then, you have to let it warm up for 15 minutes on idle because the engine still isn't warm enough to function. And then to go outside to leave the house, you have to put on longjohns, pants, wool socks, a sweater, a down jacket, a toque, and mitts (because you forgot to put mitts on yesterday, and your fingertips stuck to the door handle as you closed it, and now they are freezer-burnt), and the second you go outside, your first breath of fresh air causes a coughing fit because the moisture in your lungs freezes, and your nose-hairs freeze. And then you get into your van, and it's still not above zero celcius inside. After 20 minutes of idling with the heat on high.

Welcome to the Arctic!

(and this being said, I went out to a christmas party two nights ago in -39C weather wearing only a little black dress, and a pair of high heels with a dress jacket...I apparently acclimatize quickly)

PS: This is what I'm actually like (minus the manitoba part):

Last edited by volcaniclastic; 09 Dec 2013, 07:21.

Mostly art.

Comment

I can't blame you Vol. My first encounter with full winter came when I lived in Albany NY. I will say I was NOT accustomed having grown up in California to just how cold it was that first year. Over time I became used to it,and it snows here in NJ,but not quite as much as upstate NY. I can't really imagine how it is up there in Canada.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

V wins.

I'm still gonna whine about my 40 degree rain.

Oh! And -40 is the same, whether its F or C!!! (just for fun)
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

When people begin asking with increasing panic WHY YOU AREN'T WEARING A COAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                            When people begin asking with increasing panic WHY YOU AREN'T WEARING A COAT.
                            With increasing distress WHY AREN'T YOU WEARING SHOES
                            Puny mortal. Your snow does nothing to my feet.
                            Circe

Comment

When you scrape the ice off your windshield with a coat hanger because winter snuck up and you didn't buy an ice scraper....

Comment

Working...
                              X