Happy Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Thanksgiving

I want everyone to have a happy Thanksgiving.
    I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

happy thanksgiving peoplez

Comment

I 'd like to talk about Thanksgiving in a more general sense.

Not just about the one holiday in the United States, but about simular feasts all over the world and in different cultures an religions.

Here in Germany we had the "Erntedankfest" last Sunday.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is some information about the German way of "Thanksgiving":

Thanksgiving in Germany, or Erntedankfest, has a long tradition, particularly in rural areas. It’s a celebration to give thanks for the successful collection of the harvest which guarantees another year without starvation. While in the United States, Thanksgiving is an important secular holiday, including a weekend, with the emphasis on family get-togethers and the consumption of a turkey as the central celebration, Erntedankfest in Germany is a religious occasion. Church services dominate the day, and it’s a religious festival equally celebrated by Catholics and Protestants. Well known is the Erntedankgottesdientin Berlin, Germany’s capital,with three services during the day. Erntedankfest is usually celebrated on the first Sunday in October.

Erntedankfest is Germany's thanksgiving day, celebrated on the 1st Sunday in October. It has more religious elements than the American thanksgiving, but also celebrates the harvest. Traditions are explained, and a list of vocabulary is available.

And who knows about "Thanksgiving" in other countries?

Comment

I'm throwing Thanksgiving dinner, Canadian style, tomorrow. I usually do it on Sunday (even though the actual holiday is on Monday...it's not an official holiday in Germany so no one has the day off), but my boyfriend has to go back to Cologne on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          it's not an official holiday in Germany so no one has the day off ....
          The German "Erntedankfest" is always on a Sunday - so everybody has the day off.

------------------

Und what is Thanksgiving Canadian style as opposed to Thanksgiving US-Style?

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
            The German "Erntedankfest" is always on a Sunday - so everybody has the day off.

------------------

Und what is Thanksgiving Canadian style as opposed to Thanksgiving US-Style?
            It's in October and we usually have dinner in the evening. All of my American friends do dinner in the Afternoon. I could never really stomach it and it's a huge pain to get organized for a big meal by 2 pm. I'd rather sleep in and start cooking at 1!

No one celebrates Erntedankfest in Berlin, unfortunately, so my Thanksgiving celebrations are kind of unique here!

Comment

I had no idea other countries had some form of Thanksgiving. I'm guessing you all raided and conquered your indigenous peoples too?
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                I had no idea other countries had some form of Thanksgiving. I'm guessing you all raided and conquered your indigenous peoples too?
                I am really grateful for all the four year old, hispanic slaves that sew my shoes together. :P

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  I am really grateful for all the four year old, hispanic slaves that sew my shoes together. :P
                  shoot. We still doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    Does it only count if they keep tbeir conquests? If temporary possessions are valid....

two participants in this thread are German.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

3. Mother's side is german/mexican. Father is Spanish/mexican.

I'm conflicted.

My great grandfather's name was Adolfo Steinfield. No jokes.
                      Get this Arizona Republic page for free from Thursday, December 10, 1959 Thursday, December 10,1959. Arizona Republic, Phoenix, Arizona.. Edition of Arizona Republic

Holy shite. I just googled this for funs and giggles. My great great grandfather owned Steinfeilds dept store in Arizona (where my mother was born) Lena Steinfield Morales is my great grandmother. And my middle name. Woah.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        Does it only count if they keep tbeir conquests? If temporary possessions are valid....

two participants in this thread are German.
                        It occurs to me that I'm using SB humor on PF and that historically this is ends unpredictably so to explain the joke in advance, take a look at how many nations Germany successfully annexed right before invading Poland. If all those areas had been successfully held and integrated than Germany would successfully have conquered a number of indigenous people in the late 1930s.

Also, note, the complete lack of mention about who was running Germany at the time? It's deliberate.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

My ex is German,Russian mix,so my kids are English,Irish,dutch,Italian,French,German,and Russian mix,so grand-kids add in the Mexican Indian...They are their own United Nations....
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I am awaiting a book I ordered about celebrations around the world, so my thoughts seem to have inclined in this direction as well. I will post any surprising discoveries.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                              I am awaiting a book I ordered about celebrations around the world, so my thoughts seem to have inclined in this direction as well. I will post any surprising discoveries.
                              I have one, called "celebrating the seasons". It ain't bad.
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment