The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

What the heck is Alchemy?

Before the crash of 2010, I had a "Ask an Alchemist" Q & A thread. It wasn't the most popular "Ask a.." post ever, but I've gotten enough PM's asking me about Alchemy that I thought I'd just put this up, just in case.

Since most people don't know much about real Alchemy, except for that "turning lead into gold thing," I'll give a quick explanation of the gaols of Alchemy (as I practice it), and we can take it from there -

Alchemy is an art/science based on experimentation, the gaol of which is to bring the self and the world into tune in such a way that the individual is able to function at peak efficiency - symbolically, the self in an undeveloped state is "lead" while the perfected self is "gold" (hence the "lead into gold" thing).

The experiments are both physical and mental/spiritual. You can't deal effectively with the world if you do not understand it the way it really is, so I experiment to find out what is really real, and what isn't. And you can't do much with yourself if you do not understand what you really are, so I have to experiment with my mind to find out what I actually am.

That's it for now. If you have questions or comments, post 'em here!
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Atheist. The Satanic Temple.

Re: What the heck is Alchemy?

Could you go a bit more in depth about what exactly these experiments entail?

1. How would you go about discovering that you needed to perform an experiment in the first place?

2. Do you use any tools for these experiments? Is it like a ritual? Help me see more clearly

3. Could you explain the homunculi to me?
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Oct 2010

would any of it entail mixing aluminum shavings with rust (iron oxide) and igniting it with some magnesium? mmmm.... thermite.... <3 lol burns up to 4500
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=105.msg473#msg473 date=1286670156]
    Could you go a bit more in depth about what exactly these experiments entail?

1. How would you go about discovering that you needed to perform an experiment in the first place?[/quote]

Sure - Alchemy postulates that the
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Alchemical Shamanism?

corbin, i have read a handful of books since last year and i have a grasp on the basic basic basic phylosophy of alchemy. i emphasise that it is such a minor grasp because i can feel that this is only the tip of the iceburg.

my question is what reading material would you recomend for someone who is more than a beginner, but a far cry from a journeyman? what moderate leveled stuff could you point out for me? i have read manly p halls secret societies throughout the ages, a bit of the i ching (still dont fully understand the theory) and i am beginning learning about the tree of life. i have no ability to do lab work on account of not having the space to do it. also, children are in my living space and i want to avoid anything potentially damaging getting into the environment of this household.
    any sugestions?

Nov 2005
    Religion
    Pagan Polytheist, primarily Dionysian

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=105.msg784#msg784 date=1286724650]
    Sure - Alchemy postulates that the
    [/quote]

Thal, hun, what did you do?

LOL

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

You can always try the more herb/incense/stone approach to alchemy. I'm not sure the term, but the apothecary near me held an alchemy class and we did the incense/oils/perfect elixir work with necromancy and how that applies to alchemy. I still have to copy my notes for a friend, could post them here too I guess hehe.
    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=105.msg975#msg975 date=1286763283]
    Thal, hun, what did you do?

LOL
    [/quote]

I didn't do that!!!

I just fixed the code, there was a missing [ that messed up the bolding--when I was done, it was fine, I swear!!

...although, I find it interesting that the same thing happened in another thread (the feminism thread in the debate section)---something ate 3/4 of my post a couple hours after I posted it...

THE FORUM IS ALLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! ...and hungry
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=105.msg992#msg992 date=1286765901]THE FORUM IS ALLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! ...and hungry
    [/quote]

Feed it more!
    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Nov 2005
    Religion
    Pagan Polytheist, primarily Dionysian

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=105.msg992#msg992 date=1286765901]
    I didn't do that!!!

I just fixed the code, there was a missing [ that messed up the bolding--when I was done, it was fine, I swear!!

...although, I find it interesting that the same thing happened in another thread (the feminism thread in the debate section)---something ate 3/4 of my post a couple hours after I posted it...

THE FORUM IS ALLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! ...and hungry
    [/quote]

Hahaha... I figured it was the same problem as before, I was just teasing