This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runes

It wasn't until last year that I started to get interested in runes and symbols. I would love to be able to learn about runes in their multiple aspects, one of those being how to properly use and apply them to my simple wood carvings.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Runes

Do you mean the Elder Futhark, Anglo-Frisian runes (Anglo-Saxon Futhorc), Marcomannic runes, Younger Futhark, Medieval runes, or the Dalecarlian runes... or something else?
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I have no idea at all. I had never gotten into rune previously. Other than they being from norse/germanic areas and used for a few different things I'm quite clueless. Hence my seeking out help from those who would know about them.

Comment

All of them are alphabets from ancient Germanic writing systems... the difference between them is time and geography.

They are alphabets consisting of individual letters/runes that consist of angular straight lines, due to the ease of carving a straight line versus a curved one.

Comment

I seem to recall a Russian study done on plants where identical plants were treated to the same light and water. However, one pot had "grow" drawn on it in runes. According to the article, that plant grew most.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrabus View Post
            I seem to recall a Russian study done on plants where identical plants were treated to the same light and water. However, one pot had "grow" drawn on it in runes. According to the article, that plant grew most.
            citation, by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrabus View Post
              And I watched a 'study' on Mythbusters where the plants that had death metal music played to them grew the most. lol

I actually do believe that energies can effect living things, and that a skilled rune vitki could potentially add some oomph to a growing plant... but I generally try not to take studies like that too seriously unless they've been done properly. The problem with 'studies' is that it's incredibly easy to set up the experiment in such a way as to sway the results.

Originally posted by blue_coyote View Post
              It wasn't until last year that I started to get interested in runes and symbols. I would love to be able to learn about runes in their multiple aspects, one of those being how to properly use and apply them to my simple wood carvings.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you.
              First, figure out which set you actually want to work with. As ThorsSon pointed out... there are multiple... and they're all different. Research, read, explore... and then move on from there. I can give you a list of resources to check out for the Elder Futhark, but that's not going to help you much if that's not the set you want to work with.

Comment

The Elder Futhark is the "most common" and that makes them a nice starting point. There are lots of online resources about their meaning but honestly I recommend pulling one and spending a week or so on it. Carry it, research it, read the poems about it. Then pull another.

Comment

Are there any books that y'alls would recommend?

Comment

I would point out regarding rune poems that actually, the Elder Futhark does not really have a rune poem attached to it.

My own favourites are the Anglo-Saxon runes.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The Anglo Saxon runes contain the Futhark runes. The poem does cover them. Not going to fight about it.

Comment

I figure we can just start fresh with the Heathen Q&A thread in our new Heathen forum (hot damn, we have our own forum everybody!) If anybody saved the OP from the old Heathen Q&A or the old Heathen Resources thread that was right next to it, it would be good to post those. As I recall the OP to the old

Go browse through the Heathen forum for more.
                        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                        Clan of my Clan
                        Kin of my Kin
                        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I second Rick's book list. I'm far too lazy to type it out for myself but from memory I agree with his recommendations (though I've not read Page so I can't speak to that one).

Some of the books are more expensive or harder to find, but if you start with Thorsson, Gundarsson and Aswyn that's a pretty good start. Paxson's book is very much a compilation based on the others, so while I'm not a huge fan of it myself, I do think it's a good 'first book'.

I think Plowright's book is on Rick's list also... it's a tiny little gem and you can get the ebook version a lot cheaper than the paper version. If you go Plowright and Paxson to start off with, then flesh it out with the others as you get some experience that will give you a good overview.

I also normally recommend a few other authors for alternative opinions, but that's really for when you have a bit more experience and are past the basic introductory stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                            The Anglo Saxon runes contain the Futhark runes. The poem does cover them. Not going to fight about it.
                            http://meadhall.homestead.com/untitled3.html
                            Yes, I know. But people often go looking for an Elder Futhark rune poem, so I thought I wouldl point out that there isn't one specific to it. And of course, - in my opinion anyway - if you're going to use the Anglo-Saxon rune poem to cover the Elder Futhark, you have to bear in mind that there are extra extra runes in the AS futhorc.

But... what the hell...
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Are you sure you want to spend money on books if your not sure how interested you are in them? There are lots of free online resources you could try first.

Comment

Working...
                              X