This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runes

I need to know, as completely as possible, the meanings of the runes. How they can be placed together. What they will mean when placed together. How an ordering is able to change the mean and/or energy of the runes and of the piece they are being engraved upon.

Comment

re: Sweyn Plowright's book, Rune Primer, a free pdf version is available if you sign up for the Runenet email list. It's in the files section:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
      Tribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_coyote View Post
        I need to know, as completely as possible, the meanings of the runes. How they can be placed together. What they will mean when placed together. How an ordering is able to change the mean and/or energy of the runes and of the piece they are being engraved upon.
        It takes years of study and work with the runes to get to this point...

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        re: Sweyn Plowright's book, Rune Primer, a free pdf version is available if you sign up for the Runenet email list. It's in the files section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RuneNet-l
        ... and this would be a good place to start.

Comment

That link doesn't like me and I have apparently forgotten how to work the internet after being offline a few years. So, I went to amazon and ordered "Rune Primer." It should be arriving by Monday.

Comment

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Try that one... yahoo has re-done their email groups, and there are a lotta bugs...
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
            Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

don't know if it's on the list

tony willis - the runic workbook

Comment

I'm an Elder Futhark kinda gal.

I came across the Paxson book for the first time the other day in Dymocks... Was tempted. I think I'll try and go back to get it before I leave the city - it's not one I've read (and it's easily available for once!)

BC: I like this website, and used it a lot when I was a teenager. I think it's a nice start http://www.sunnyway.com/runes But I also agree with others that (once you look at some stuff) make a decision about what direction you want to head in, then come back and ask again. There's also some more stuff in the Heathen board.

And there's no way to do this quickly, and completely. Be prepared for time
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

a question, akin and relevent

i gave my set away and feel like creating again - as soon as I can stand and cut at the vice (maybe 2 months time)

your runes...what have you made them from...what kind of wood are they..or bone or antler etcetc..

what have you found works well for you??

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

i gave my set away and feel like creating again - as soon as I can stand and cut at the vice (maybe 2 months time)

your runes...what have you made them from...what kind of wood are they..or bone or antler etcetc..

My current set is actually of obsidian (I know, bad "untraditional" me). But I've thought about making my own wooden set for a long while and I'm settled on pine as my medium-of-choice. Mostly because that's the tree I have a very strong affinity with. My stone set works well though. If you ever make a set, you should post photos of your work! I love handicrafts.

Comment

no problems with obsidian - natural glass...any chance of a photo or two ??

was going to use some beech because it's nice to work...but then thought yew...a lovely wood yew..polishes gorgeously...however not so easy to get hold of

Comment

Mine are hematite. I wanted hematite runes my entire life. I was so happy when I found them. At this stage I have no intention of making wooden ones. Mine work just fine, and they are BEAUTIFUL.

These aren't mine, but this is how mine look, all random shapes, engraved, with gold paint Click image for larger version

Name:	RST01_-_Hematite_Rune_Stone_Set_(Full).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	352190
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

no problems with obsidian - natural glass...any chance of a photo or two ??

was going to use some beech because it's nice to work...but then thought yew...a lovely wood yew..polishes gorgeously...however not so easy to get hold of
                          I thought yew trees were to be found in every old cemetary in England?

Blood and Country
                          Tribe of my Tribe
                          Clan of my Clan
                          Kin of my Kin
                          Blood of my Blood

Comment

Mine are semi-precious stones (and a few not precious ones lol) that were all individually picked out in consultation with the Runespirits. Each rune has a different stone. I've never worked with a wooden set of runes and I don't believe the runes for divination need to be from fruit bearing trees... I'm not reconstructionst nor even traditionalist. The Runespirits have always worked with me through stone and paper and nothing at all... so that's what I go with.

Traditionally, runes are carved into wood (Tacitus tells us in Germania that the wood of a fruit-bearing tree is used).
                            (I know you know this, Rick... I just have to say it for the sake of transparency and accuracy...)

Traditionally, the only thing that we absolutely know for sure about runes is that they were carved into stones and metal objects for purposes that didn't include divination. We don't actually know that the 'certain signs' Tacitus describes were runes, as he never explicitly uses those terms. We don't even know for sure that runes were used for divination at all.

The whole 'cut from the branch of a fruit bearing tree' thing comes specifically from Tacitus' writings in Germania... and we can't prove or disprove that he was talking about runes. Many reconstructionists, traditionalists and purists make the calculated assumption the Tacitus was talking about runes and say that this is the only 'correct' way to create a divination set of runes. But that's certainly not my (or Rick's, or many other rune casters') experience.

Agreed. And I have nothing further to add to this that Rick didn't already say.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                              (I know you know this, Rick... I just have to say it for the sake of transparency and accuracy...)

Traditionally, the only thing that we absolutely know for sure about runes is that they were carved into stones and metal objects for purposes that didn't include divination. We don't actually know that the 'certain signs' Tacitus describes were runes, as he never explicitly uses those terms. We don't even know for sure that runes were used for divination at all.

The whole 'cut from the branch of a fruit bearing tree' thing comes specifically from Tacitus' writings in Germania... and we can't prove or disprove that he was talking about runes. Many reconstructionists, traditionalists and purists make the calculated assumption the Tacitus was talking about runes and say that this is the only 'correct' way to create a divination set of runes. But that's certainly not my (or Rick's, or many other rune casters') experience.
                              Absolutely. There are examples of runes used for magic throughout the Sagas, but I can't recall any examples of runes used for divination. I used to do rune readings professionally, and I'm pretty good, if I do say so, but as I've come to realize that runes are, first and foremost, a system if magic (and divination with them is sort of an accidental side effect), I pretty much don't do rune readings anymore. Rune magic, on the other hand, is a regular practice. All that said, if you read runes and get good results, then by all means continue. These observations are meant to stimulate discussion, not sway anyone any particular way.

Blood and Country
                              Tribe of my Tribe
                              Clan of my Clan
                              Kin of my Kin
                              Blood of my Blood

Comment

Absolutely. There are examples of runes used for magic throughout the Sagas, but I can't recall any examples of runes used for divination. I used to do rune readings professionally, and I'm pretty good, if I do say so, but as I've come to realize that runes are, first and foremost, a system if magic (and divination with them is sort of an accidental side effect), I pretty much don't do rune readings anymore. Rune magic, on the other hand, is a regular practice. All that said, if you read runes and get good results, then by all means continue. These observations are meant to stimulate discussion, not sway anyone any particular way.
                                Bold mine; and that's absolutely right. I cast runes for divination, and they've always seemed amenable to to that. But my main relationship with them is for rune magick. And in that sense I often don't rist them onto anything at all... galdr on it's own is a powerful magickal tool if you have the skill. I often rist bindrunes into stones for amulets, or on paper for spells, or on my skin for various reasons... but they also form part of my invisible house and property wards, blessings and shields. There's a great deal more to working with the Runespirits than divination.

Comment

Working...
                                X