X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runes

Originally posted by Rick View Post
    All that said, if you read runes and get good results, then by all means continue. These observations are meant to stimulate discussion, not sway anyone any particular way.
    All I've ever done is read runes. And it works. I can't see why rune magic wouldn't. But I know nothing. You've stimulated the discussion now! We need a rune magic thread so I can learn!
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      All I've ever done is read runes. And it works. I can't see why rune magic wouldn't. But I know nothing. You've stimulated the discussion now! We need a rune magic thread so I can learn!
      It's a really common misconception that the main purpose of the runes is divination. Personally I think that's because neo-pagans tend to be obsessed with divination, and because divination is the supposedly 'easy' side of working with runes. There's a sort of groove in the collective unconscious that an unskilled person can tap into with popular divination methods... runes and tarot included... especially when layouts are used rather than castings. That makes divination far more accessible than rune magick... because to work effective magick with them you have to have a much deeper relationship, and develop the skills it takes to properly propitiate, invoke and harness the energies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        It's a really common misconception that the main purpose of the runes is divination. Personally I think that's because neo-pagans tend to be obsessed with divination, and because divination is the supposedly 'easy' side of working with runes. There's a sort of groove in the collective unconscious that an unskilled person can tap into with popular divination methods... runes and tarot included... especially when layouts are used rather than castings. That makes divination far more accessible than rune magick... because to work effective magick with them you have to have a much deeper relationship, and develop the skills it takes to properly propitiate, invoke and harness the energies.
        Yeah I can believe all of that. No doubt. I won't lie, I got into them through the Wicca/Neo-pagan aspect. People often think I'm taking the easy way out, using runes rather than tarot. Dicks.

But me wants to learns!
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Hehehe... I'm not sure you should have given that one to Heka, Mrs. Penry... she may practice on her poor husband...
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
            Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

It sounds like something I'd meddle with, too.

Back on the subject of creating, if I smooth and cut various wooden pieces for people to to work on, how many, do you think, would be a fair start? And how many blanks (nuggets) per person, if they were keen on making a set?

Or am thinking too optimistically, again? lol

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

that's a how long is a piece of string question

The Elder Futhark, three groups of eight = 24 runes
                The Younger Futhark = 16 Runes
                Anglo-Saxon = up to 33 runes
                Marcomannic= 23 I think
                and I'm sure i've missed a few

so it's decide which system first and make accordingly...why is life constantly so confusing

Comment

That's kind of my problem, Chris. Too complicated. If I was making my own, it's a simple decision. But making up some blanks, either for carving or woodburning, for a sort of class, DIY project, or even raffling off, then it becomes complicated. Which is why I asked about suggestions.

Seriously, I'm at the point of making lists for when I can start putting together materials, and all, that may interest some of our guests/attendees. I find it slightly overwhelming. The micromanaging and menial decisions, I'm in need of second opinions, others' take on "common" usage, and just how far to take the task of making runes at this festival.

Which, of course, leads me right back to: I think I bit off more than I can chew.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                    That's kind of my problem, Chris. Too complicated. If I was making my own, it's a simple decision. But making up some blanks, either for carving or woodburning, for a sort of class, DIY project, or even raffling off, then it becomes complicated. Which is why I asked about suggestions.

Seriously, I'm at the point of making lists for when I can start putting together materials, and all, that may interest some of our guests/attendees. I find it slightly overwhelming. The micromanaging and menial decisions, I'm in need of second opinions, others' take on "common" usage, and just how far to take the task of making runes at this festival.

Which, of course, leads me right back to: I think I bit off more than I can chew.
                    i think i'd settle on the 24 as the elder futhark seems the most popular...or even 25 if you want Blum's blank rune - personally I don't

i'd love to make a set out of cherry...lovely wood when polished...possibly with inset something..kept in a deerskin bag perhaps

first though I need a rowan staff - again gave my old one away

other ideas for "show" drinking horns, beakers.....bone spoons...tablet weaving cards and combs and of course the raw materials and tools...sorry wandering now

Comment

I would SO love the drinking horns! I have a buffalo skull but the horns stay. We're also limited on other raw materials, here. If I get some volunteer hikers, though, I'm sure we could locate some (deer) bones for carving up. But my carving skills are limited to path signage atm.

What started me off, on this, is actually a downed cedar (of really decent size) and I don't want to cut it up to burn, if I can put it to other uses.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DrinkingHorn2012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	352192Click image for larger version

Name:	DrinkingHornend.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	352193Click image for larger version

Name:	HornMouthDecor-1.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	352194

actually very simple to do...the cast terminal was the hardest part

Comment

Just remember, KEEP THE POINT DOWN.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                            I have never had much luck with using them for divination. I use them for spell work and meditation. They are great to galdr while meditating the visuals are amazing.

Comment

Horns like that remind me of how Edward II was assassinated... gruesome, gruesome.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                                Just remember, KEEP THE POINT DOWN.

Ya can't get the mead out if ya keep the point down...
                                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                                Tribe of my Tribe
                                Clan of my Clan
                                Kin of my Kin
                                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X