How to REALLY train up a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to REALLY train up a child

Parenting advice that doesn't require PVC pipes - give it here!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: How to REALLY train up a child

I treat my kid like a drunk person...you know, someone who deserves respect and love, but doesn't always make the best decisions on their own.

(It's more complicated than that, of course, but I love putting it like that.)

Comment

My goal is to raise future adults. Like, the one's I wouldn't mind as neghbors, not the ones that end up in jail for holding up a 7-11. As such, I try not to lie about things they will one day need factual information on without ripping away the beautiful rose-colored glasses of childhood.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I'm not a mom yet, but one tip I remember my mom telling my pregnant cousins was instead of giving them fancy teething stuff, give them larger peeled carrots to chew on. That way they had something to chew on, and were getting healthy nutrients at the same time.
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

I come from a community, which is wonderful when you have kids. They learn how to be kind and help out with each other and the community. They also don't seem to have as much drama as those children that are raised alone, maybe because it isn't all about them. I think the greatest gift having a community gives my kids is freedom. Kids can run around and be kids together without all the fear that seems to follow single kids.

From my perspective, the main thing I believe in is to keep them safe without taking life's excitement away from them. That's the balancing act that we all mess up with from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
            I'm not a mom yet, but one tip I remember my mom telling my pregnant cousins was instead of giving them fancy teething stuff, give them larger peeled carrots to chew on. That way they had something to chew on, and were getting healthy nutrients at the same time.
            When you do have kids...don't do this unless you enjoy the Heimlich maneuver. Carrots break. Teething babies can't really chew.

My kid choked on a little chunk of apple once. I don't wish that freak out on anyone.

Comment

From my own experience, parents shouldn't tell their children something like "Don't play with those kids!" before even getting to know them.
              It's just not right.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                When you do have kids...don't do this unless you enjoy the Heimlich maneuver. Carrots break. Teething babies can't really chew.

My kid choked on a little chunk of apple once. I don't wish that freak out on anyone.
                We gave them dill pickles... Soft enough, and crunchy/chewy/cold.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't enough to love your kids, you have to also like them.

In fact, if you like them, love may not even be necessary (but loving will be very, very easy).

When people love others, they make all kinds of excuses for hurting them, but, when they LIKE somebody, they enjoy time with them, have common interests, and treat them with respect.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Let your child get hurt (not run over by a car or electrocuted, just a boo boo or ten). Let them be cold. Let them feel pain. Let them lose. Let them be angry. Let them feel hunger and thirst. Let their feelings get hurt.

Teach them to deal with these conditions. Teach them to name them, to cope with them, to fix time or work through with them. But don't let them go out into the world without having them as experiences. Because fixing everything so they never have unpleasantness is bad parenting.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

If I had a kid I would give them candy to shut up. I would give them Nyquil. I would give them whiskey. I would give them Zanax. And probably opium.

Which is why I haz no kids.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

With acceptance.
                      I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Comment

Working...
                      X