Being contacted by a deity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being contacted by a deity

Okay so things just got pretty intense for me just now!

First of all, I have been studying Cottage Witchcraft and I think I'm really suited to it. It feels natural to me. So I decided I wanted to go a little deeper and find a goddess that is centered around the home that I could align myself with. I did a little research and Hera stuck out to me. So I did a little meditation and prayer to open up that connection, and it felt right when I was doing it.

I don't want to say what happened next just because I don't think people could look past the crazy. And it sounds crazy! But the way I felt when it happened...I can't pass it off as mere coincidence.

Bottom line: I think instead of Hera, I was contacted by Hecate! It only lasted for a second, but immediately afterward, I felt like a little kid that just got scolded for something. It was almost like she was trying to say "HEY, what about ME? I'm here! Pay attention!" I'm not that familiar with Hecate, but from what I understand, she's not one to beat around the bush and can sometimes be downright scary, but she has a lot if knowledge to pass on.

Going into research mode now!

Re: Being contacted by a deity

It can be pretty intense, eh? I remember when Bast walked into my life. A wonderful, yet powerful experience.

I've never worked with Hecate, but Her followers seem to say She's a tough goddess when it's time for the proverbial business. Good luck. ^_^
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Can you explain why you think it is Hekate? Home and hearth is seldom her domain and cottage craft usually falls up under that. I really do not know of that many who've been contacted by her for that reason. However, Demeter can be home and hearth as much as Hera and at times can be as forceful and in your face as Hekate. Even then you can't rule out Persephone either as she also forms part of the triology of goddesses that make up that mystery.

The reason I doubt it was Hekate is she doesn't do things for just a moment. If she was in your face it would be for hours or days where she hammers things home not just for a second. I'd also add that Hekate does not call to pass on knowledge but calls to test and mold and the furnace is always hot beneath her stoking.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I don't think we can just cherry pick deities as we see fit: let's not forget that they're higher beings, with a lot more power than us humans. What you've experienced seems to be pretty much that god saying: "Sorry, but I've different plans for you". Sure, there's nothing to stop you from telling that particular god to go to hell, but I'm not sure if that is wise: angering beings that powerful has been known to have severe consequences. Of course, as a Christian, I'd prefer to anger that kind of being, but the most neutral stance I can take regarding this is to be very careful.
        Last edited by codesharp; 05 Dec 2013, 23:41. Reason: Missed a full stop.

Comment

I don't see it as cherry picking, so much as trying to open a connection to form a relationship with a particular goddess. Simply letting that deity know that one wants to make that connection. That doesn't mean that that deity has to do anything. They can choose to ignore me if they want. But I feel that by me trying to make that connection, I opened up another connection to one that DID want to work with me.

Monsno, I'm still researching, but I have found a few sites that have said that hearth and home is one of her domains, although its not what she's traditionally known for. I'll have to go look that up again when I get off work. Also, I could see her as one to be in someone's face continuously when she's trying to make a point. But during the initial connection, I don't think it would be necessary. Especially for those of us that have yet to make any connection with a god or goddess....like I said, it was pretty intense. If she had been in my face for hours, I may have ran the other way screaming! Lol. Why would she do that if she WANTED to work with me?

The reason I think it was Hecate is just pure gut feeling. Now, had I been wrong, I think I would have figured that out by doing research. But the research I did just kept pointing me in her direction. So I'm still convinced it was her.

Comment

I don't see it as cherry picking, so much as trying to open a connection to form a relationship with a particular goddess.
            That's kind of the definition of cherry picking.

Comment

.. Monsno, I'm still researching, but I have found a few sites that have said that hearth and home is one of her domains, although its not what she's traditionally known for. I'll have to go look that up again when I get off work. Also, I could see her as one to be in someone's face continuously when she's trying to make a point. But during the initial connection, I don't think it would be necessary. Especially for those of us that have yet to make any connection with a god or goddess....like I said, it was pretty intense. If she had been in my face for hours, I may have ran the other way screaming! Lol. Why would she do that if she WANTED to work with me? ..
              Personally I think your getting it wrong with the perspective of her wanting to work with you. In my experience she doesn't work with anyone, she selects you and tells you what your going to do and there are no ands, ifs or buts about it. Do her will and she guides you, resist her and you'll suffer until you do as she desires. Her initial connections are as intense as any other with the initial many times being a test to determine if you can take it or not. The fact you've not made a connection to any other god or goddess is of no concern in how she typically contacts those she calls upon. Though I do admit there tends to be a significant difference in attitude between those she selects and calls upon and those who decide she is going to be the one they call upon. Doesn't mean she will answer their calls for they made a wishful leap not a reply to being called.

The fact your finding any sites that suggest a connection to hearth and home is quite contrary to her lore and the aspect of working with her. To be honest i'd love to see those sites your referring to for most sites play heavily upon her role as goddess of witches though that hinges heavily upon her later Roman incarnation and perspective. Home and hearth especially contrary when you figure her statuary is placed at the doorways and liminal points between the home and the outside world which would not be home and hearth but the boundary between places. Even placing them at the entryways into temples, shrines and sacred areas. A placement often reflective of keeping out the dark and dangerous and wandering spirits or restless dead.

Having been sworn and blood bound to her for many years one thing I've always found via UPG, SPG and research and reading of her lore is that there is never any doubt as to her calling you as she identifies herself quite clearly as to who she is. What she wants from you may not be clear initially but then many times we don't know what we want anyway.

I wish you luck in your search but the Hekate I know says she has nothing to do with hearth and home that is Hera or Demeter's realm of influence. She's the goddess of the cross-roads, holds sway over the skies, the waters and the earth and stands between the boundaries of life & Death, Light and dark and all liminal places and times.

But of course this is all my own opinion and my experience with her so it might be different for you.

Comment

Originally posted by codesharp View Post
                I don't think we can just cherry pick deities as we see fit: let's not forget that they're higher beings, with a lot more power than us humans. What you've experienced seems to be pretty much that god saying: "Sorry, but I've different plans for you". Sure, there's nothing to stop you from telling that particular god to go to hell, but I'm not sure if that is wise: angering beings that powerful has been known to have severe consequences. Of course, as a Christian, I'd prefer to anger that kind of being, but the most neutral stance I can take regarding this is to be very careful.
                For some polytheists, it's a bit different. You can choose ("cherry-pick") who you want to work with and who you don't. You can also open yourself up to whoever sees fit to come your way. Sometimes you're not given an option. For example, at one point I wanted to devote myself to Odin, but Odin and Bast made it very clear that's not going to happen. Bast stepped in and made it known I was going with Her.

There are a lot of possible devotional/spiritual configurations in polytheism.
                Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I'm a soft polytheist; essentially the gods are a face for energies I want to focus on in my life. Hence, I intentionally choose the god or goddess that appeals to me mythologically and interact accordingly. I've worked with Hecate/Hekate (or however you wish to spell and/or pronounce it; she didn't seem to care) and she is a harsh lady, that's for sure. But she is also very fair and teaches strong lessons about inevitability. Being a hedge type, she's always factored into my life, but I don't think we can determine due to our experiences how someone else would experience a deity.

Especially from a hard polytheist standpoint, don't you think that's pretty vain to think one of us has the market cornered on how a goddess wants to behave?

Comment

Just because you're interested in a deity does not mean that they're interested in you. If they're not, then all the persistence in the world will do you little good. In fact, you may even anger them. That was my point.

Comment

Originally posted by codesharp View Post
                      That's kind of the definition of cherry picking.
                      It isnt though. Lots of people reach out to deities to form relationships with them. The deities can deline of course, but cherry picking would be expecting the deities to do stuff for you without having built a relationship first

Comment

it sounds like you had an interesting experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
                          For some polytheists, it's a bit different. You can choose ("cherry-pick") who you want to work with and who you don't. You can also open yourself up to whoever sees fit to come your way. Sometimes you're not given an option. For example, at one point I wanted to devote myself to Odin, but Odin and Bast made it very clear that's not going to happen. Bast stepped in and made it known I was going with Her.

There are a lot of possible devotional/spiritual configurations in polytheism.
                          Basically this is what happened to me. I reached out to Hera, but Hecate is the one that stepped in.

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                          It isnt though. Lots of people reach out to deities to form relationships with them. The deities can deline of course, but cherry picking would be expecting the deities to do stuff for you without having built a relationship first

Exactly my point.

I will also see if I can find the sites that said she can be linked to the home...."protection of the home" is what I think one of them specifically said, but I will double check.

And who knows...maybe that's not the reason she stepped in. I could be something else entirely that hasn't been brought to my attention yet.

Comment

Alright, I shall concede my point. You've won.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                              ..Especially from a hard polytheist standpoint, don't you think that's pretty vain to think one of us has the market cornered on how a goddess wants to behave?
                              No what I find vain is the assumption that a goddess is going to change her practice and persona because someone wants her to be something else. Unfortunately Hekate is one who has become exploited quite a bit it seems in an effort to make gods / goddesses be what ever you want them to be to make oneself feel good. It's sad in so many ways that Hekate has become seen as going out seeking converts if you go by the typical responses one see's so often today when none of her lore ever suggested such.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jacob View Post

Truthfully i'd say no. Cherry picking is often seen as selecting aspects of a god / goddesses while ignoring those aspects you happen not to like. If not ignoring them then modifying them to make your position feel better about your choice or modifying them to the point where they no longer match what is SPG among the majority of followers / devotees. The more common the god / goddess has become in neo-paganism the more they are being picked apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X