Thread: Awesome Holiday Treats

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

Awesome Holiday Treats

Figured for anyone stuck making holiday cakes, pies, and cookies and whatnot that I'd put up a few recipes of some of my favorite things to make that seem to get people calling for my blood if I don't make them and bring them to functions lol.

First up, what seems to be one of everyone's favorite cookies that I make:

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups (or 3 sticks) of butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup packed light brown sugar (I usually use a mix of light and dark though)
    3 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    3/4 salt
    4 cups (24 oz package) of Hershey's Semi-sweet chocolate chips (I usually use a mix of one 12 oz bag of semi sweet and one 12 oz bag of dark chocolate chips)

Step by Step:

~Preheat oven to 375F
    ~In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy
    ~Add eggs and vanilla then beat til it's light and fluffy
    ~In separate bowl, stir together flower, baking soda and salt, then gradually beat it into the butter mixture
    ~Once all added, slowly add in the chocolate chips
    ~Drop in rounded teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet
    ~Bake for about 8-10 minutes depending on if you like softer or crunchy cookies

Feel free to do the standard cool for a few minutes before transferring them to whatever either a wire wrack, or plate and whatnot.

Enjoy your yummy delicious cookies <3 Fair warning though, depending on how big you make the cookies, these can make upwards of like 7 dozen. It's a huge recipe, but REALLY yummy and great if you have to worry about making them for a big group for holidays and what nots.

(Now someone else post so I can add more recipes lol)
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Re: Awesome Holiday Treats

Quote Originally Posted by Yorin View Post

(Now someone else post so I can add more recipes lol)
    I'll be happy to!!

I got this recipe from taste.com.au. I really wanted to make a Christmas Cake without having to prepare it for months. This recipe is mostly cake with just a little bit of fruit through it. Really, it's all about the Florentine topping.. which is amazing!

The Night Before Christmas Cake

Ingredients:
    • 175g unsalted butter, softened
    • 225g brown sugar
    • 275g self-raising flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 175ml buttermilk
    • 2 eggs
    • Grated rind of 1 lemon
    • Grated rind of 1 orange
    • 225g fruit mince
    • 2 tbs brandy

Florentine topping:
    • 50g hazelnuts
    • 50g blanched almonds
    • 85g brazil nuts
    • 140g red glace cherries
    • 100g golden syrup

Icing:
    • 2/3 cup (100g) icing sugar
    • 2 tsp lemon juice

Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line base of a 20cm springform cake pan. Beat butter and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy, sift flour and baking powder and stir into butter mixture with buttermilk and eggs. Stir in rinds with fruit mince and brandy. Spoon into pan and bake for 1 hour.

2. Meanwhile, for florentine topping, place nuts, cherries and golden syrup in a saucepan and warm over a medium heat. When cake has cooked for 1 hour, remove from oven and spread topping over. Return for a further 15-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

3. For the icing, mix together sugar and lemon juice, place in a piping bag with a small nozzle and drizzle over cake. Decorate with ribbon, if desired.

Notes: You definitely want the springform cake pan. Don't worry too much if you pull out your skewer and it comes out a touch sticky. You don't want it to be completely clean because the cake will be a little bit too dry. The stickiness is probably just from where the golden syrup has seeped into the top of the cake.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/4675...christmas+cake

This is one cake that look better than the picture!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

We make this cake every Sabbat, its "The Sun King's Birthday Cake", as Chickadee puts it.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

This is another favorite that I get called out for if I don't bring it to functions, and it's super easy to make cause you don't have to worry about all the weird baking crap.

Irish Cream Cheesecake with Chocolate Chip Cookie Crust

Crust Ingredients:
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate chip cookies

Filling Ingredients:
    8 oz semi sweet dark chocolate
    8 oz milk chocolate
    1/4 cup of sugar
    1 1/2 cup cream cheese
    2 cups heavy whipping cream (lightly whipped)
    3 tablespoons Irish Cream Liquer (like Baileys or Emmets)

Optional Stuffz:
    whipped cream or strawberries for topping
    pre-made cookie crust, in case you're in a hurry

How to make:
    ~Lie bottom of an 8in pan with parchment paper and brush the sides with oil
    ~put the butter in a saucepan and heat til melted then stir in the crushed cookies
    ~press to the bottom of the cake pan and chill in the fridge for an hour

~or just buy a pre-made one and you're ready to go~

~To make the filling, put the dark and milk chocolates into the top of a double boiler and stir til melted. (or just heat slowly in a sauce pan and make sure not to burn it) then let it cool a little bit
    ~Put the sugar and cream cheese into a bowl and beat together til smooth, then fold in the cream. Next, fold in the melted chocolate into the cream cheese mix, and finally add the liqueur.
    ~Finally, spoon the mix into the cake pan and smooth out the surface and let it chill in the fridge for a few hours or until it's firm.

Odd things to point out from experience making it:

Honestly, it is a royal pain to find an 8oz bag of chocolate chips. Most I've seen come in 12 oz bags. It's OKAY to just dump the two 12 oz bags in there. It'll be a bit extra, and if you're using the premade crusts, you might wanna have two instead of just one. Other thing, don't worry if there's extra liqueur in it. It'll taste the same either way, I usually add a bit more to mine though
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress