Herbs for Nausea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbs for Nausea?

My stomach has been quite upset lately, despite no change in diet aside from smaller intake. The results are nausea and stomachache (among other less than savory side effects on my digestive process). Any herbs good for upset tummies? Any herbs for digestion?

(totally off topic but it would be super cool to have an Herb Q&A thread so I could ask these silly questions without cluttering up the place with new threads)
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Re: Herbs for Nausea?

Ginger is the standard go-to, but depending on the cause of the tummy issues, you can also go with fennel. They make an OTC thing called Gripe Water for little kids that's essentially herbs and sweeteners. My kid hated, but it worked great for me.

Comment

Iirc scopolamine, a drug used as an anti-emetic, is found in several of the nightshade plants. Most of them have some pretty nasty effects iirc, so you possibly wouldn't want to consume them, especially in herbal form, but it can't hurt to start looking in that direction.

Comment

Ginger is best, but you could also try peppermint (tea) for nausea.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Oh, as queen of the indigestion people, you may also want to look at papaya or pineapple enzymes, and/or yogurt in your diet as these issues can be caused by screwed up digestive juices or gut flora. I still have some issues, since I have GERD, but adding yogurt to my diet has helps my digestion a lot. That will take time though, but it does work better than the "probiotic" pills they sell. Those never seemed to help me.

Comment

Everyone's really on the ball up there ^^

It's tried, true and GRAS (generally regarded as safe - unless you have ragweed/Compositae allergies) - chamomile! Catnip's also mild and effective. Licorice is good if you don't have high blood pressure or fluid retention issues. Peppermint, spearmint & other mints are good for indigestion and to stimulate appetite, but if your stomach pain is ulcer-related, they can cause extra irritation.

Fennel, anise, parsley, cilantro and caraway are all 'carminatives' - they help move gas along. Honestly, almost any 'kitchen' herb is carminative.

Some physical things you can do if your issue is acid reflux and/or heartburn - when you lay down, lay on your left side to use gravity to hold your stomach contents in place, and try not to do any toe-touching type movements before bed. Stretching & gentle belly/lower abdomen massage before meals can ease things like IBS & constipation. Another exercise to try, about 20 minutes before meals, lay on your stomach, grab your ankles w/your hands and rock yourself gently back & forth. Unfortunately, many people with diarrhea find that any kind of stimulating movement can send them running, so if that's the issue at hand you probably wouldn't want to try the exercises, rubbing or stretching immediately before/after meals. Stretching can help move gas & gas cramps, too, though.

Some people get a lot of nausea relief from plain ol' Coca-Cola (or Cola Syrup, if you can find it).
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Some aloe vera juice might help. I've taken it before to help with ulcers/acid reflux. It re alkalizes the body, helping out the stomach and intestines.

Comment

Ginger, peppermint (I have some of this upstairs, yay!), fennel, papaya, pineapple, yogurt, scopolamine, Gripe Water, chamomile, catnip, licorice, anise, parsley, and Coca-Cola.

You guys rock. I'm gonna make a big batch of peppermint and chamomile tea and see if I can't drum up some anise (for now). Everything else will require a trip to the grocery store.

EDIT: ALOE VERA JUICE. That sounds awesome. What's it taste like?

Comment

It's a bit salty and viscus at first. I'd take about a shot glass before bed and chase it with a shot of water. You get used to it after bit though.

Comment

Granny used to keep old-fashioned peppermint candy canes (the ones that are thick and sorta chalky in texture) for upset stomachs... and, occasionally, for use as candy...
                    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                    Clan of my Clan
                    Kin of my Kin
                    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_coyote View Post
                      It's a bit salty and viscus at first. I'd take about a shot glass before bed and chase it with a shot of water. You get used to it after bit though.
                      Oh god. My head is in the gutter.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                      Granny used to keep old-fashioned peppermint candy canes (the ones that are thick and sorta chalky in texture) for upset stomachs... and, occasionally, for use as candy...
                      Hey, lookit that smart Granny! I think I actually have some of those...

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post

EDIT: ALOE VERA JUICE. That sounds awesome. What's it taste like?
                        It tastes like slimy ass.

Also, non herbal, but...as someone with digestive issues, I find when herbs fail, a straight up handful of Tums, or a zantac work wonders too.

But fennel seeds (I just chew 'em) or ginger (in the form of tea, or candies, or ginger Gravol) works pretty good, too.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                          It tastes like slimy ass.

Also, non herbal, but...as someone with digestive issues, I find when herbs fail, a straight up handful of Tums, or a zantac work wonders too.

But fennel seeds (I just chew 'em) or ginger (in the form of tea, or candies, or ginger Gravol) works pretty good, too.
                          Yeah, and at her reply, my brain spiraled straight into perversion.

I'll have to get some candied ginger. I've never taken a Tums or a Zantac but if this shit persists then I might consider it. I don't want to take them but I will if my tum doesn't get it together!

Comment

Be careful using Aloe vera juice/latex internally. It can cause or prolong diarrhea (as can products containing any of its compounds - aloin, aloe-emodin, and barbaloin). It's commonly used as a laxative because it stimulates peristalsis.
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                              Be careful using Aloe vera juice/latex internally. It can cause or prolong diarrhea (as can products containing any of its compounds - aloin, aloe-emodin, and barbaloin). It's commonly used as a laxative because it stimulates peristalsis.
                              ACK, I certainly do not want anything that encourages diarrhea -- quite the opposite would be preferable!

Comment

Working...
                              X