This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The art of Listening.

So in my study of Druidry, I read a lot of people mentioning that they 'listen to the tree' or the landscape. I have outright asked someone what they meant by this, but I didn't get a reply. So, who sits in nature and 'listens?' What are you listening for? How do you 'listen?'

Sometimes, I will sit in one of my spots and pay attention to what the natural world is doing around me. Even a quiet spot can get quite loud. It's just that I'm opening my natural senses and becoming hyper aware. Is this the same thing?

Re: The art of Listening.

In my opinion, that may be exactly what some people are talking about. That is what I do. However, I have also read that some will do this by sharing a spiritual or emotional connection.

Hope I'm not interjecting where I don't belong.

Comment

Thanks, Cobra ^.^ Your answer is encouraging. Anyone may answer - you belong. I posted the question in here because that is the context in which I am learning. Though, I think Druidism/Druidry is really eclectic in its practises from what I can tell so far. It's mark is mostly in its way of thinking. So I think anyone's answer could be relevant.

Comment

I certainly do not know anything about druids but it seems to me that if this ISN'T what people are talking about, that it must be well on its way to becoming that.
        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I think it may have to do with allowing one's self to become properly aligned with the energies of the surrounding environment.Every living thing, stones, crystals, earth, has its own frequency it communicates on so to speak. It's allowing yourself to become aware. In just loving and appreciating a simple house plant or wild flower one can be able to connect.

Comment

I found this exercise the other day that I think would guide listening. It's a little more exploratory and active than what I currently do. It's probably more in line with what you were saying Blue Coyote about being in tune with the energy of the environment.
            One thing it instructs which wasn't immediately obvious to me was leaving an offering and disconnecting from the energies you've just opened yourself to. Anyway, here's the text.
            Take some time to go to an ancient long barrow. If there are none accessible, take yourself there in your imagination. Either way, be sure to take with you an offering for the spirits, for the ancestors, their gods and the guardian of the site. Remember that offerings should be quickly biodegradable or edible for local wildlife: ideally there should be no trace left after just a few days.

Before you approach the grave, sit quietly and relax, calming yourself to a point that you will be able to listen. Then, quietly and with respect, walk up to the barrow. Walk around it, down its length, sitting relaxed, listening. Spend time in the area before the entrance and allow your mind to drift, envisioning what might have happened there. What would the role of the priest have been? If the barrow is open, when you are ready and if you wish, enter the passageway. What do you feel?

Leave your offerings, in peace and with thanks. As you leave the site, do so consciously, disconnecting from its energy with respect.
            And here is the link to the source: http://www.whatisdruidry.org/two.html

That passage is located under the heading The Earliest Traces

Comment

Working...
            X