Native American religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native American religion

Does anyone know much about it? I don't hear about it very much/ Do they worship deities or just spirits? What are there beliefs? Does anyone practice it hear or know anyone that practices it? I'm guessing a lot of the Indian Reservations still practice it? Do they have any charms or magic to use as well? I know nothing of it except for the dreamcatcher they tend to use.

I ask this because it doesn't seem to be brought up very often so I was just wondering.

Re: Native American religion

I don't know much about the topic, but I can say that different Native American nations have different beliefs and traditions; they aren't all one thing.

Comment

Oh I know. I just wondered if anyone knew any traditions whether it's Cherokee Traditions, Blackfoot traditions ect. Most tend to mention the Cherokee ones. I do know about the "Pow Wow" traditions and wondered if anyone has done any as well. I have heard Pagans from Europe, wanting to escape from Christian oppression, traveled to America which was "The New World" and allied with Native Americans since their traditions were similar to their own.

Comment

I've been to pow wows when I was a kid, but I don't remember much. I remember the marketing of flute music cassettes and little cardboard and rubber drums more than the actual event; that's how little I was at the time. I didn't take in anything substantial.

Comment

Part of my family on my fathers side came from the Cheyenne. Being around my father and that side of the family I always heard lots of things about that specific tribe and their traditions. Now I can't speak for all of them (although I do believe that they have lots of things in common) but especially my great grand father who was a full blooded Cheyenne always spoke of their "god" by calling him the great spirit. That was "god"........all in all the great spirit is in everything around everything and is all in all everything. It is represented through the animals of the forests and the planes, the plants in the soil, the air we breathe...the water we drink...simply everything. Magic eehhhh...so and so, depends on what you call magic. shamanism is a great part of this religion. They also have an interesting view on the after life believeing that our spirits remain here, that death is merely on "the other side"....right here amongst us. there is a great belief that we can feel our ancestors all around us...that they never leave etc.
          i could go on and on about this "religion". very gorgeous, and very dear to me. it would be way easier to know what exact info you are looking for...and again, i have no idea if all tribes are the same with these things. i only know about the things that were "taught" in my family....which can also vary i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
            Does anyone know much about it? I don't hear about it very much/ Do they worship deities or just spirits? What are there beliefs? Does anyone practice it hear or know anyone that practices it? I'm guessing a lot of the Indian Reservations still practice it? Do they have any charms or magic to use as well? I know nothing of it except for the dreamcatcher they tend to use.

I ask this because it doesn't seem to be brought up very often so I was just wondering.
            We don't bring it up because as a general rule tribal religions are heritable -- i.e. you can't convert, you are either born to it or you aren't. Not that they are secretive or rude about it, it's just not for you.

Dreamcatchers are marketing. Most of that stuff you can buy is just that, money makers. The tribal shaman I know have facilitated rituals, but they don't do them for money and you won't find books about it. I haven't personally participated, but my husband has, so I will admit, my information is 2nd hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
              We don't bring it up because as a general rule tribal religions are heritable -- i.e. you can't convert, you are either born to it or you aren't. Not that they are secretive or rude about it, it's just not for you..
              This has confused me for a while. It's a hot topic on Tumblr and I've never been able to get anyone to talk about this with me that doesn't get highly offended and red in the face about this. There's a lot of that on Tumblr.

Anyway, I can definitely see how there would be a difference in practitioners of the religion that inherited the traditions and practice from their ancestors and those who have "converted" but I've never really been able to wrap my head around why certain religious beliefs belong to certain blood lines. Why does it apply to some religions and not others? You don't have to be born from Christians or Muslims in order to be one - although I understand those are examples of religions that welcome converts in the first place, my confusion lies in why there's a difference in the first place.

I suppose if the people of a certain culture don't see their religious beliefs as a universal truth, that would make sense. For example, if a certain god created those particular people (or race?) and therefore their traditions and culture couldn't possibly be shared with other peoples, I could see how it would be a problem if someone from outside their culture decided they were going to ignore that fundamental difference and basically invite themselves to the party.

I think this whole topic breaks my brain because I'm American and we just think of religion as another thing on the buffet table. I have no experience with any culture that so identifies with it's religious aspect, I guess. Plus, I was an eclectic Pagan for years, and it kind of nurtures the idea of picking apart traditions, beliefs and practices for a, well, customized experience.

Comment

Christianity and Islam as I mentioned in another topic are the only major ones that are interested in converting. Most religious people tend to keep it to themselves, be they Jew or Native American. I ask of Native American as it isn't brought up very often. I don't think there's anyone in this forum that actively practice it, but I do wonder if eclectics involve Native American spirits and traditions in their practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                  This has confused me for a while. It's a hot topic on Tumblr and I've never been able to get anyone to talk about this with me that doesn't get highly offended and red in the face about this. There's a lot of that on Tumblr.

Anyway, I can definitely see how there would be a difference in practitioners of the religion that inherited the traditions and practice from their ancestors and those who have "converted" but I've never really been able to wrap my head around why certain religious beliefs belong to certain blood lines. Why does it apply to some religions and not others? You don't have to be born from Christians or Muslims in order to be one - although I understand those are examples of religions that welcome converts in the first place, my confusion lies in why there's a difference in the first place.

I suppose if the people of a certain culture don't see their religious beliefs as a universal truth, that would make sense. For example, if a certain god created those particular people (or race?) and therefore their traditions and culture couldn't possibly be shared with other peoples, I could see how it would be a problem if someone from outside their culture decided they were going to ignore that fundamental difference and basically invite themselves to the party.

I think this whole topic breaks my brain because I'm American and we just think of religion as another thing on the buffet table. I have no experience with any culture that so identifies with it's religious aspect, I guess. Plus, I was an eclectic Pagan for years, and it kind of nurtures the idea of picking apart traditions, beliefs and practices for a, well, customized experience.
                  Yeah, this notion makes Heathens racists... go figure...
                  I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                  Tribe of my Tribe
                  Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                  And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                    Oh I know. I just wondered if anyone knew any traditions whether it's Cherokee Traditions, Blackfoot traditions ect. Most tend to mention the Cherokee ones. I do know about the "Pow Wow" traditions and wondered if anyone has done any as well. I have heard Pagans from Europe, wanting to escape from Christian oppression, traveled to America which was "The New World" and allied with Native Americans since their traditions were similar to their own.
                    Do you mean the PA Dutch Pow Wow cause those are considered Christian or cunning folk more than pagan. Even if they were once pagan based. They are not Native American in any way.

Comment

To be honest, I'm not in any way of native or tribal ancestry, and I'm not big into genetics being the yes/no answer for a religious belief. However,I don't understand why not either. I don't know if its by design or by accident, but I've always been more drawn to the mythology that matches my genetic make up (Celtic and Norse and Slavic). I don't think anyone should feel obligated to share their faith if they don't want to.

Tribal people have a lot of bitterness, even now, about how their culture has been absorbed and diluted and stolen. Because of this, unless it specifically benefits them, they don't usually have any desire to give away what they have left.

And, yes, that seems so stereotypical, but there are honestly very few tribal people living tribal lives left. Most of their culture has turned into painting on velvet, movies and dreamcatchers. A lot of people think "Native Americans" are one culture.

Comment

Tribal people have a lot of bitterness, even now, about how their culture has been absorbed and diluted and stolen. Because of this, unless it specifically benefits them, they don't usually have any desire to give away what they have left.
                        And, yes, that seems so stereotypical, but there are honestly very few tribal people living tribal lives left. Most of their culture has turned into painting on velvet, movies and dreamcatchers. A lot of people think "Native Americans" are one culture.
                        I suppose I never thought of it as "losing" it when you're sharing it. In fact, it grows when you share it and seems like it would only further endanger it to attempt to hold it close and keep it hidden.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post

I'll give my tuppence about this. And please note these are my thoughts on the matter, others may take another view.
                          Also I feel I should give warning that what I say may feel controversial to some.

The reason you can't convert is that it isn't a set of beliefs you can put on top of your normal life, it's a practice, or set of practices, that stems from a these particular people's view of the world and how they interact with it. So to become part of this you'd have to understand how they view the world and view it in the same way they do and interact with it the way they do. To do these rituals without seeing the world as they do and interacting with it as they do would be utterly meaningless and take away the power of these practises.

And I can understand why the People of the First Nations are more than leery of letting anyone not born as one of them in, since anything they let white Americans have, they have taken and not given back. So in their shoes, I wouldn't want to give anything more either.
                          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I don't blame Native Americans at all. All the European tribes have after Christianity came through is some tainted lore and a handful of archeology sites. If you look at tribal rituals in American or African tribes there are rites of passage and ceremonies involving detailed steps and days of spirit work. I can't imagine that at some point the European tribes had the same thing and lost them completely. Especially rites for shaman and spirit workers. They are wise to keep it as closed as possible.

Comment

I gotta be honest. I'm more than a little disturbed by "Native American religion". It isn't a religion. It's a heritage.

Inviting non-natives into your heritage is simply impossible. They can study it, respect it, explore it but it will never become their heritage.

There is one, less well known, tribe that has taken to "adopting whites" or other nationalities, at least, into their mix. One thought is that it's for tax evasion, another is to strengthen the population figures for Federal recognition in terms of more land. In any case, it's common knowledge, for many, that the heritage is gone. Completely. It's become a commercial, marketing venture in an unforgiving world, just to survive.

Which most Nations have had to do, cave in to Western Civilization, and adopt a competitive sense of survival in a free market economy. Commercialization. While steadfastly trying to protect an ever more rapidly disintegrating heritage.

Religion. Pfft.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                              X