This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age Appropriate Books to Read Aloud to Children

I personally am asking because I babysit a 5 (gonna be 6 in March) year old and even though she is smart for her age and is very capable of learning I don't want to bore her or scare her away from reading by reading her things that are over her head -- but obviously this thread is for anyone who wants to pick the brains of parents when it comes to encouraging a love of reading and literature for any age of kiddos!

For the 5-almost-6-year-old I was considering reading to her The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe since she reminds me so much of Lucy anyway. Sure, she might miss some of the allegory but it's a good story nevertheless, and I read in silly voices and stuff to make it fun! But obviously, this is about her so any suggestions people have for this age group!

P.S. I let her read her own books to me so we work on reading but she's not afraid at all of asking about things she doesn't know, and she's got the memory of an elephant, so I KNOW she's ready for a challenge!
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Re: Age Appropriate Books to Read Aloud to Children

I'm all about library resources. I do know on my library website I can choose grade appropriate books there. That might help you.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black are pretty cool. There's six books with the main trilogy and the side story. They're about three kids who move into a house with fairies. There's an evil ogre and creepy elves and some interesting references to folklore. I read them as a kid and adored it.
      Circe

Comment

Roald Dahl comes to mind.

Also Enid Blyton, I was in love with the Enchanted Wood series at that age.

Comment

My absolute fondest memory as a child involves my mother tucking me into bed each night, and reading me Charlotte's Web before bed. We would do a chapter a night, and I think it took a few months to read the whole thing.

Mostly art.

Comment

You can always make up stories, or tailor existing ones to include her favorite things/animals/places, etc.

Speaking of which, favorite animals are always a good place to find reading materials (especially if she likes horses - soooo many horse stories out there, lol).
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Right now we are reading The Hobbit and the Series of Unfortunate Events books (we are on #2)...and working on a list for upcoming year.

This was our "Read Aloud Project" list for last year:
              1. Little House in the Big Woods (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
              2. Little House on the Prairie (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
              3. Farmer Boy (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
              4. On the Banks of Plum Creek (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
              5. By the Shore of Silver Lake (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
              6. The Long Winter (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
              7. The Trumpet of the Swan (E.B. White)
              8. Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)
              9. Stuart Little (E.B. White)
              10. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Raold Dahl)
              11. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Raold Dahl)
              12. Matilda (Raold Dahl)
              13. James and the Giant Peach (Raold Dahl)
              14. The Egypt Game (Zylpha Keatley Snyder)
              15. The Cricket in Times Square (George Selden)
              16. The Story of Dr. Dolittle (Hugh Lofting)
              17. The Voyage of Dr. Dolittle (Hugh Lofting)
              18. A Wrinkle in Time (Madeline L'Engle)
              19. Pippi Longstocking (Astrid Lindgren)
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I plan to read Avi's Crispin and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle to Nova when she's old enough. I really enjoyed Avi's books when I was young. And I'll probably read Tamora Pierce's books and the Pellinor series by Allison Croggan, to name a few, to pass on my love of fantasy. I want to throw in some of the deeper conceptual books, like some Thal listed, jumping off places for discussion, but I'll have to think about what I want on the list.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

My grandma used to tell me the classic Grimm's Fairytales. You can't go wrong with those.

The Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville was my favorite series growing up. The Sammy Keyes series by Wendelin Van Draanen is awesome for fourth or fifth graders, but if she's already reading by age five, she might enjoy them. She sounds pretty darn bright.

Comment

I loved the Bunnicula series by James Howe.

Comment

To me, and this is my opinion, Dr. Seuss' books are classic. I even read them to this day and I am 32.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

My mom used to read me Charles Dickens at that age. I thought the old english was super fun (of course when someone else reads it its easier to take it lightly lol).

Comment

I loved the Judy Blume books the series about SuperFudge

Comment

Working...
                          X