Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

As to debates,I think perhaps we need at least one Mod to be on top of the debates,as a moderator to at least keep some order in this type of thread.

So perhaps a mod named "Keeper of the sane and polite discussion of difficult subjects"
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

lol, that got people's attention!

I'm not committed to the idea either way--its just something to toss out there as an idea.

I think too, when we discussed it staff-wise, we were pretty much against it.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

We need a "Awesome Traditions" entire board to discuss my superiority in every way.

Other than that I do like the idea of suppressing the Debate forum and make more use of the debate tag.
        And I also like Malflick's idea of merging Hobbies and Entertaining.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Another idea about "Debate",make it so when entering into the thread one MUST click an agreement as to rules of the debate,and if you are found to have "Broken" those rules you would be banned from entering any debate for a set period of time.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Since we've got a lot of them, and we love talking about them, how about adding a 'Pets' subtopic to 'Friends & Family'?

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            Another idea about "Debate",make it so when entering into the thread one MUST click an agreement as to rules of the debate,and if you are found to have "Broken" those rules you would be banned from entering any debate for a set period of time.
            I like that. Seconded.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Sice Perze already seconded, I would like to third this. I love the debates, it's one of the reasons I hang out so much in this forum rather than anywhere else, it's probably one of the few places where you can have a debate without being bullied. But I know how easily it is to get carried away during an argument, so a friendly reminder when we start one as to keep it civil and mind our manners would probably be a good things.
              Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

So...what I'm getting thus far is something like this:

Religion and Spirituality (board)
                Abrahamic Faiths
                Atheism/Agnosticism
                Eastern Religions (or whatever we decide to call it)
                Paganism
                • Greek and Roman
                • Egyptian
                • Heathen
                • Celtic

Divination and Astrology
                Magic and Ritual

Living (board)
                Health, Healing, & Prayers
                Hearth and Home
                • PF cookbook
                • herbalism

Friends and Family
                • Parenting
                • Pets

Hobbies and Entertainment
                • Arts/Crafts, etc
                • PF Portfolios
                • Reviews and Plugs

Holiday

Lounge (board)
                General Discussion
                LOL's and Games
                Rants and Decline of Humanity
                News and Current Events
                Academics
                Debates

I'm not sure how simple of a thing this is to do or not...but I like the idea.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Something else we've been talking about is a "beginner friendly" or "no attack zone" sort of place where judgement is lightened at bit--not suspended, just...our sometimes harsh criticisms are made a bit more tactfully and friendly. If we are honest with ourselves here, we do a good job at welcoming people and we do a good job at being helpful, mostly...but sometimes we also do a good of a job scaring off the new people (and when I say new people, I mean new to Paganism, not new to the forum).

Look, most of us weren't born into Paganism and raised with it, we've all evolved through our paths...I'm willing to guess that I good number of us believed and did things that would make us cringe now and think stuff like "fluffy bunny" or "special dark snowflake". But...some people WANT to be special dark snowflakes and fluffy bunnies...and that's their business. There are a couple of other fourms that have them, and (staff-wise), we've discussed it a little bit, and I really think it might be a good idea to try.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Something else we've been talking about is a "beginner friendly" or "no attack zone" sort of place where judgement is lightened at bit--not suspended, just...our sometimes harsh criticisms are made a bit more tactfully and friendly. If we are honest with ourselves here, we do a good job at welcoming people and we do a good job at being helpful, mostly...but sometimes we also do a good of a job scaring off the new people (and when I say new people, I mean new to Paganism, not new to the forum).
                    I haven't been about much lately, something I hope to rectify, but I wanted to throw my two pennies in and say I think this is a really good idea. Not only does it remind people to go a little easier on the beginners but it also makes them feel more comfortable posting if they have somewhere specially for that reason.
                    http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Look, most of us weren't born into Paganism and raised with it, we've all evolved through our paths...I'm willing to guess that I good number of us believed and did things that would make us cringe now and think stuff like "fluffy bunny" or "special dark snowflake". But...some people WANT to be special dark snowflakes and fluffy bunnies...and that's their business. There are a couple of other fourms that have them, and (staff-wise), we've discussed it a little bit, and I really think it might be a good idea to try.
                      This is a good idea on ANY forum. There is nothing worse than being a newbie and having the sort of newbie questions that others would think are obvious or dumb and not having a place to ask them without getting teased for it.
                      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I'm not sure how simple of a thing this is to do or not...but I like the idea.
                        I can't comment on debate specific TOS pages in the way Anu is outlining. Subforum specific bans however can be pulled off with VB. It just involves setting up a usergroup that can't post in debates that offenders can be thrown into. Hmm, come to think of it...

will return to this issue later.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm not 100% sure how to code this either, but dear gods this is a beautiful idea. Half the reason my posts are so low is because I dont feel like walking into the hellstorm that is a "debate" on here half the time. We have a tendency to get pretty vicious at times.
                          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                          sigpic

Comment

I like the Pets thread idea.

I like the idea of keeping Debates, but putting more stuff on it, like an agreement, or a user group or something.

I'm not fussed about changing the name of the Heathen board. I quite like Heathen, but I'm happy to change it. As long as I know where to go for my Heathen-related stuffs, it's all good. But I'm not a fan of Teutonic. That name just has never sat well with me, I dunno... But whatevers.

I also like the idea of Newb board. Then people can avoid the Newb topics if they get overly frustrated by those sorts of things. We're a community of fairly developed individuals here. I don't think I would have stuck around long when I was a Newb, so making it more Newb friendly is probably a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

lol, dragon lady :P
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'd actually volunteer to be a mod for that. How people treat 'fluffy bunnies' (and even the term 'fluffy bunnies') has always been one of my biggest beefs about 'the Internet Pagan Community'.
                              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

So...if we were to have a newbie board...what would we call it? N00bz r us just doesn't sit right
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X