X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does evil exist in nature. /spirits?

Merry meet ) o (
    Do you think that evil exists within nature? Do you think that spirits can be evil?or do you think that evil resides within the hearts of man?

I will share something that I have never shared with anyone. Well two things kind of.

Firstly , something I was scared of sharing, im a 16 years old and I come from a muslim-christian family. Although since about 13 I have been interested in neo paganism and wicca. Although now I kind of lean more towards a celtish druid re constructionist pagan /wiccan. Yeah thats a mouthful and confusing so lets just say polytheistic pagan. I didn't want people to think that because of my age im not serious or that im immature.

My whole life I have had several spiritual experiences.. I have a medical condition , that when I wad younger caused me to stop breathing several times, one of these times I was pronouced dead after 5/6 minutes CPR on the 7 th minute my pulse resumed.

Since then I have remembered what I see as a past life . Many years ago . Now I even know my name .

Also for many years ghosts have tried to contact me. Some even have (once a woman contated me in a dream , the same night the animals in the house were going maf, as if something was there) in every house I have moved to (6 houses) there has been a ghost. My mum has even called a priest to banish one, as he was hitting my mother and throwing stuff across the room.
    I can't always see them but I feel them always , sometimes it keeps me up at night . Sometimes i see white lights , and on some occasions I think the tv is on because I can hear people speaking. but when I Come in The Room the tv is off.
    Am I crazy? The same condition I talked about has been linked to psychosis. But this is different . Any ideas?

Re: does evil exist in nature. /spirits?

Nobody here can tell you whether you are or aren't crazy, but consider that psychosis involves a lot more than specific experiences, it involves a long term process of social, psychological and neurological decline, with all kinds of symptoms above and beyond having experiences which would be considered as 'impossible' by modern reductionist-materialism science. If you are having specific experiences but are capable of attempting to understand, explain and interpret them in a rational and coherent manner, and aren't experience other symptoms of a psychotic illness (mood disorder, paranoia, scrambled thoughts/speech, etc), then it seems quite unlikely that what you are experiencing is psychosis. That isn't the same thing as saying that the experience is necessarily what you think it is, of course, it is still possible to misunderstand or misinterpret something.

For what it's worth, you don't come across as insane or psychotic, and I've seen that kind of behavior before. Remember that there are a huge number of intelligent, healthy and functional individuals out there who have had similar experiences and believe them to be valid. They might be wrong about the nature of those experiences, but they certainly didn't undergo them as a result of psychosis.

Comment

Well I believe in ghosts. I have experienced them before. As for evil. I do think there can be evil in the heart of man. How else do you get serial killers and rapists and such? At least in my opinion. Evil in nature? I'm not sure. There could be. I agree with Aeran though, you don't seem insane to me.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Often evil is just in the eye of the beholder. I think there are people who have no ability to control their impulses which makes living in a society impossible. And it can be horrible, but I'm not sure if that's "evil."

I don't believe in a lot of supernatural things, but this is one I've experienced, so I do know how it feels. I don't think you are interacting with 'ghosts.' From my experiences, ghosts are really rare and are more like recorded memories than conscious beings. They rarely are aware of you.

I wouldn't classify them as evil either. That sounds like typical poltergeist behavior. From my own experiences, young women tend to attract them as I know I did. What they are? I don't really know, but I'm fairly certain its not a conscious thing and its not evil. I think personally its the same phenomena other cultures call faeries or brownies. If it's bothersome, you might want to try some of the traditional methods to appease them. That seems to be more effective than actually trying to communicate with something that isn't really capable of that.

The other possibility is that you are actually causing the phenomena. That seems to happen sometimes too, and that you will usually just lose as you get older.

Good luck! I know going through this sort of thing is hard. Just remember, its actually something plenty of people have experienced, just most won't talk about it, claiming it was youthful hysteria.

Comment

I believe that everything must be balanced. There is good, which is balanced with evil. Like water and fire.

I wouldn't call that crazy. Some people might have the abilities to see, or contact ghosts, spirits etc'. Some time after one of my grandmothers died (my father's mother), she had contacted with me in a dream; I even had a conversation with her. My grandfather who has also passed away, came to visit one night as well, though through his so called visit, he said only a few phrases.

I recommend you to not be afraid of the ghosts, unless you know they want to hurt you. Try to determine their wishes, then act accordingly. But be careful during the process.

I hope it helped.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I believe that everything must be balanced. There is good, which is balanced with evil. Like water and fire.
            I agree that balance is key, but personally I believe that evil isn't one end of the dualistic equation, but rather is the result of straying too far from the center. 'Evil' is fueled by negative thoughts and feelings, which are caused by imbalance. Too little love becomes apathy, too much becomes jealousy, too little bravery is cowardice, too much is foolhardiness, too little trust is paranoia, too much is naivety, etc etc.

Of course nothing is quite that simple, but I find it to be a good starting point for understanding the question of evil.

Comment

My beliefs are a bit helter skelter at this time so I am simply sharing what kind of thoughts I have pondered after reading your post.

"Do you think that evil exists within nature? "
              I do not think that "good or evil" can be base representatives for what occurs in nature before the influence of other coherent beings. Order and chaos seem more correct in this sense, as that would reflect that while pleasant and unpleasant things occur there is no alter motive behind the occurrences. If a bridge collapsed and killed many people that in itself does not mean the bridge is evil. It did not intend to kill the people. Maybe the structure was not built as soundly as the people who designed it had planned? This too does not indicate an evil intent anywhere. But if the bridge was compromised by someone who has malicious intent, there the "evil" comes into play. But the bridge is not evil still, it was just a tool for the one who intended harm. "Good and evil" is also circumstantial. What if the people killed on the bridge were actually a group intent on crossing said bridge to cause harm to people on the other side? That suddenly makes their death circumstantially "good" for their own victims. I think good and evil are energies that are charged by the intentions of the beings involved in the situation. I know there are a multitude of holes in my explanation and it leaves many arguments to be had, but my illustration is to show my view on your first question.

"Do you think that spirits can be evil?"
              If the spirit is a coherent being then yes I believe they can have malicious intent. I've read somewhere before that poltergeist are considered not true, coherent beings. Rather they are echos of past energies that continue through time long after the original being had left. I have no standing to argue if this is the true nature of poltergeist since I never researched it beyond that, but it was a simple enough explanation that I accepted and left at that. With that explanation I could see them cause harm if the original being before them charged the "echo" with malicious energy.

"So you think evil resides within the hearts of man?"
              If they wish/allow for it to be there. Negative feelings and intentions are easy to nurture into something long lasting and malicious. It's easier for people to be hateful, fearful, ignorant, and doubtful. These feelings can easily assist with the breeding of discord in a person's self.

As for your experiences, I hope you find what you are looking for in this. Like I started before, I'm pretty new to all of this and have no expertise to offer.

Comment

Thank you everyone for those excellent replies. Greatly appreciated.
                Im trying to work on not being scared of these spirits, as the vast majority I feel are just "passing through" I made my bedroom into a sacred space . So maybe they just like it here. Some try and Contact me or Purely wont let me go to sleep.
                I can honestly say that only one spirit I have thought may want to do me some harm. That wasn't it this house.
                I do have depression. (diagnosed) . But apart from that , nothing.
                Blessed be ) o (

Comment

All evil comes from the hearts of humans. They are the only creatures capable of becoming unbalanced. Evil spirits are not spirits in the sense we often think of. They are negative attachments that outlive the ones who held them rather than primordial and endless.

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
                    All evil comes from the hearts of humans. They are the only creatures capable of becoming unbalanced. Evil spirits are not spirits in the sense we often think of. They are negative attachments that outlive the ones who held them rather than primordial and endless.
                    I think I have to take issue with this idea that only humans can be "unbalanced." Mental illness can be caused by a chemical imbalance in a brain, and anything with a brain is hence susceptible. Humans are not so special.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                      I think I have to take issue with this idea that only humans can be "unbalanced." Mental illness can be caused by a chemical imbalance in a brain, and anything with a brain is hence susceptible. Humans are not so special.
                      I agree.

Regarding mental illness in the animal world, dogs and cats (amongst pretty much any other animal) often present with actual mental illness - my wife, as a vet nurse, regularly sees depression, anxiety and chemical imbalances in animals of all descriptions in her work. While aspects of mental illness such as psychosis and delusion are not measurable within animals (due to their inability to communicate their thoughts) to same degree as they are within humans - it's a safe assumption to make that mental illness, chemical imbalance and brain disease can have the same manifestations in an animal as in a human being.

"Unbalanced", in relation to an imbalance of "good" and "evil", is really about perspective. Evil, as Anne Rice said, really is "a point of view". I think that in order to determine (even if subjectively) whether or not "evil" exists in Nature, one must define "evil". What actions are seen as "evil"? Murder for fun? Rape? Torture? Incest? Stealing? All of these actions happen in the animal kingdom - we see them as defined differently. Murder for fun in the animal kingdom becomes "a bobcat killing a mouse for hunting practice and leaving its body to rot instead of eating it". Rape becomes "a male animal displaying its dominance over another". Torture, could then be seen again as the bobcat relentlessly, and slowly, maming and injuring an animal - or hyenas eating another animal alive. Incest - well this occurs regularly in nature. Stealing - one animal taking from another in order to survive.

What differentiates us from the animals in these cases? Some would argue that we have the ability to reason and to understand the "wrong" in our actions and this is what some consider to be "evil" - knowing that what one is doing is wrong or "immoral", yet doing it regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by unityquest View Post
                        Do you think that evil exists within nature?
                        Evil is a purely subjective construct that is entirely reliant on a human moral compass. Without human morals and ethics by which to measure it, there is no 'good' or 'evil'. There is 'harmful' and 'beneficial' and things like that, but what is beneficial or harmful to me is not necessarily the same as for you.

So no, I do not believe that evil exists within nature. Harmful things happen in nature. But not evil. Is the lion evil because he practices infanticide in order to ensure his genetics are the ones passed on? Is the mother bird evil when she kicks her babies out of the nest and abandons them because it's too hot? Is an influenza virus evil because it invades host cells and causes death? No.

Do you think that spirits can be evil?
                        Again, not really, because 'evil' as a concept is very much HUMAN. And not all spirits are human. In fact, very few of them are. However, I do believe that there are spirits who are harmful to humans and sometimes even malevolent. Most 'negative' or harmful spirits are actually just parasitic, and so are no more malevolent than a tapeworm is. They cause damage, but they don't do it out of any sort of malevolence or malice towards the person.

I also agree with Rowanwood that a lot of 'hauntings' and 'ghosts' are actually just imprints or energetic memories; or unconsciously created egregores that are made of emotionally charged energy, which usually end up being harmful. That's not to say that actual earthbound human spirits don't exist... or that human spirits can't talk to us from the Lands of the Dead. Or that entities can't use the image of a human spirit as an interface for ease of communication with us. But again, none of that is 'evil'.

Also for many years ghosts have tried to contact me. Some even have (once a woman contated me in a dream , the same night the animals in the house were going maf, as if something was there) in every house I have moved to (6 houses) there has been a ghost. My mum has even called a priest to banish one, as he was hitting my mother and throwing stuff across the room.
                        Usually, when every house you have been to has 'ghosts', it's not the houses that are haunted, but the people. Either there are energetic egregores attached to the family (which often come about via chronic emotional imbalance, fighting, stress, that kind of thing), there is poltergeist activity (which is a similar thing and usually manifested by girls going through puberty or stress of some kind), or there are actual spirits or entities that travel with the family or an item you possess (which could be parasitic or could be benevolent... for example ancestors or protective spirits).

Am I crazy? The same condition I talked about has been linked to psychosis. But this is different . Any ideas?
                        I don't know you so I can't answer that. The only thing I can say is that you are not the only person who experiences what you have described.

Comment

"evil" exists every where. It lies in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Working...
                          X