Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Mother sets fire to her daughter's gloating rapist"

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    Two years does matter in any sentence, that's a lot of time he should have spent in the big house.
    He was supposed to be out for three days, after he already served more than three quarters of his sentence. Plus, he never did get to serve the rest of his sentence because he was murdered.

Psst, here's some facts for you... the US has the highest recidivism rates in the world. Because our prison system isn't focused on rehabilitation, in other words we should be acting more like them.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
      He was supposed to be out for three days, after he already served more than three quarters of his sentence. Plus, he never did get to serve the rest of his sentence because he was murdered.

Psst, here's some facts for you... the US has the highest recidivism rates in the world. Because our prison system isn't focused on rehabilitation, in other words we should be acting more like them.
      My point is if he was being granted passes it obviously means he was on good behavior so they were starting to re-integrate him. It would lead to probation soon. But you see where re-integration led him. Mocking the mother of his victim and then being burnt to death. Clearly wasn't ready for society. Everybody behaves inside because they want to get outside to continue the stuff that got them inside.

And I can't find Spains recidivism rate but I know they're a notorious crime stronghold for they're lax theft laws. Basically you steal you get one day in lockup, literally. So with theft comes other things.
      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
      And planted firm Britannia's flag
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      And joined in love together,
      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Eff it no more talk more action, people get out your damn marshmallows. HUMAN BONFIRES lol JK sorry, I had to.

Comment

You have to take recidivism rates into account with incarceration rates. The US has the highest global incarceration rate, at 753 incarcerations per 100,000 citizens.

World Prison Population Report

Murderers & rapists in the US actually have a relatively low recidivism rate, below 3%. I imagine in quite a few places the recidivism rate is pretty low (like China) because their actual execution rates are higher. A person can't commit more crimes if they're dead.

Bureau of Justice Statistics

And for those of you who keep going back to executions being more expensive than lifelong imprisonment, it's because the Constitution makes it that way. If you get the death sentence in Saudi Arabia, they still chop your head off with a sword. It's relatively inexpensive and far less time consuming for everyone involved.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I definitely think that rape is evil. I think that this man should have been dealt with by the law. I don't think the mother should have taken the law in her hands because she herself could get in trouble through the law, though she doesn't deserve it. Personally, I would have punched the guy out and called 911 instead of dousing him and setting him on fire. SOB.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I can understand the reasons of her actions, but won't she put into jail for committing a crime under effect?
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                I can understand the reasons of her actions, but won't she put into jail for committing a crime under effect?

One would hope that she'd be held responsible for her actions. Maybe they were justified. Maybe she needs to stand trial. As a media piece, the story that the public gets is usually quite the watered down version of events. We can only guess what she ultimately faced.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

So, this thread is shorter by 3 pages. I went looking to see just how much of it was a mostly self-contained death penalty debate and found 28 posts worth. That is a rather large tangent but I've found it amusing and for others who agree

Every time I hear people clamoring for leniency, pissing about the "barbarity" of the death penalty, and going into the "poor criminal-as-victim" bla bla bla, I think about this kind of thing. If a society, with it's laws, legal system, and police force refuses to provide actual justice to victims of

please continue your death penalty discussion in the thread linked above.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I am bit late to the discussion, but I wanna throw my 2 cents in here, cause why the eff not!

I can safely say that I would not do this to my own rapist (because I, as of yet, have not.) But I happen to know that if my mother knew who he was, she would, she would hunt him down and tear him apart, or something bad. I do not believe he would live through what my mother would think of because I think I get a wee bit of my own level of insanity from her.
                    If I had a child and a man did this to her, then mocked me in the street... I think he would pray for fire before I was done with him. I would be unlikely to attack him tooth and nail there in the street, because I am not strong enough to do too much damage before someone stopped me and I know it. I would stop and plan and think and come up with the cruelest things I could, in ways that hopefully he would survive, and remember. When i was done I would wait with his broken body for the authorities, because I would do this knowing that it was a crime, and that I should go to jail. It would not be insanity, it would be perfectly reasonable and frankly, I may deserve the DP after I was done, but that would be a non-factor into me doing it....
                    Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                    And for those of you who keep going back to executions being more expensive than lifelong imprisonment, it's because the Constitution makes it that way. If you get the death sentence in Saudi Arabia, they still chop your head off with a sword. It's relatively inexpensive and far less time consuming for everyone involved.
                    Where is the line to vote for this change?
                    Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    Strong me. Brave me. Tough as shit nails me. I froze in the car and wept like a child.

This man committed murder in my book. Part of me is dead. And if I saw him now I would burn him. With marshmallows. In a single heartbeat. And my mother? She would have burned him too. But I never told any of my family. Ever. I've said this before. When rapists leave their victims alive, expect to find them with these sort of hostile regards. If they don't like it, they should make sure to kill those they rape.
                    I still would not be able to get this close...
                    The same logic was used to justify lynching black people. Justice cannot work that way, it is absolutely barbaric. The dude down the street ran over my dog and was a complete prick about it. If I slashed his tires I'm still a criminal and rightly so, because I would have done so knowing it was a bad thing to do. To hurt him, like he hurt me.

If you want to brutally murder someone who wronged you or yours in one of the worst ways possible, I can understand that just fine, but if you do so you are still a murderer.

We have systems in place for dealing with this kind of stuff for a reason, because emotions make us stupid. If you have a problem with the system, then try to make it better. We can't have people killing others in the streets because they feel like it.
                    I absolutely agree. This, however does not change my mind in the least.
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I think that's the thing about vigilantism. It's personal. No public entity can do enough to right that wrong, so to speak. Particularly, in my opinion, for victims of rape or molestation. Even if the S.O.B. is executed by a firing squad, armed with 'personal massage' products attached to jackhammers. It still doesn't FIX anything. It's far too personal. And the punishment is entirely too little. And too late.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post

Maybe.

I don't know enough about Spain's justice system (by the way, this story took place a couple years ago, but I've not been able to find anything more on what happened later) to say if she would be (or was) or not...but here in the US, I'm pretty sure she'd get off (on the basis of the media report, at least). If you read the article, she's had a history of emotional/mental problems since her daughter was raped...so that is in her favor. And, tbh, a number of juries would likely be quite sympathetic to a mother (a fine upstanding citizen, traumatized by her inability to keep her only child safe), taunted by her child's rapist, in shock and finally realizing what has happened--that her child's rapist is walking the very streets that her family walks, going in a torching the child molesting bastard. If she was convicted of anything, it would likely be a lesser charge, for which she'd probably get off fairly lightly.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Brilliant, i could not help but laugh at the fool's obviously deserved fate.

Comment

The same logic was used to justify lynching black people. Justice cannot work that way, it is absolutely barbaric. The dude down the street ran over my dog and was a complete prick about it. If I slashed his tires I'm still a criminal and rightly so, because I would have done so knowing it was a bad thing to do. To hurt him, like he hurt me.

If you want to brutally murder someone who wronged you or yours in one of the worst ways possible, I can understand that just fine, but if you do so you are still a murderer.

We have systems in place for dealing with this kind of stuff for a reason, because emotions make us stupid. If you have a problem with the system, then try to make it better. We can't have people killing others in the streets because they feel like it.
                            Emotions can help us too but it's bad if we let it control us. By definition murder is the unlawful killing of an INNOCENT. He was obviously not innocent and vigilantes do just as much if not more justice than their own government who is supposed to apply justice. Besides let's not pretend the government is totally innocent either. Many criminals are released or are on parole. And obviously you say you wouldn't kill them but if your daughter was raped, you would want him dead as well. This is the problem here. Those against the death penalty will defend the criminals if those criminals killed others, but if the criminals killed THEIR family or raped them, than they are eager to kill them. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                              He was obviously not innocent and vigilantes do just as much if not more justice than their own government who is supposed to apply justice.
                              Sure, it's easy to support vigilantism when you agree with them. But what about the guy who blinds a child with spraypaint because they tagged his fence, cuts off a pickpocket's hand, or kneecaps someone for trespassing?

That is why justice can't be personal. If you want harsher or lighter sentences for crimes, or whatever, then you work within the system of law to change how it is enforced.

Justice needs to be reasoned and impartial or it isn't justice, it's revenge. Revenge begets only revenge, that's why they say an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Justice isn't about hurting people, it's about protecting the common good.
                              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Sure, it's easy to support vigilantism when you agree with them. But what about the guy who blinds a child with spraypaint because they tagged his fence, cuts off a pickpocket's hand, or kneecaps someone for trespassing?

That is why justice can't be personal. If you want harsher or lighter sentences for crimes, or whatever, then you work within the system of law to change how it is enforced.

Justice needs to be reasoned and impartial or it isn't justice, it's revenge. Revenge begets only revenge, that's why they say an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Justice isn't about hurting people, it's about protecting the common good.
                                I agree. But when justice clearly fails we can't just say oh well. Good game guys. And pat each other on the butt. There are times when you have to take a stand. Especially like this. Justice shmushtice. You rape my kid. I set you on fire. Done.
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X