This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very random and vagueish question: hearth spirit

I'm a writer, and I remember a tabletop game with a heavy foundation in real world pagan and shamanic traditions talking about a specific kind of spirit. I cannot, for the life of me, remember what that spirit was called. I figure the name was pulled from real traditions, and so thought you good people might be able to help me.

I'm looking for a spirit, probably western European in origin, which dwelt in the hearth, I think, and protected the household--building and inhabitants. I want to say the name started with a 'w,' but I can't be certain. I know it was not domovoi, and I'm 90% certain "wight," or variations thereof isn't it either.

Any idea what this word I'm racking my brain for is?

Re: Very random and vagueish question: hearth spirit

There are many entities and kinds of vaettir that dwell in hearths and other areas of the home, as well as a number of deities who are said to rule over the hearth. But off the top of my head I can't think of any that start with a 'w'.

Is there a specific reason you are looking for that particular name?

Comment

Familiarity, I suppose. I know how it was used in my experience with the word, and at least gives me something to look up to make sure I'm using it in an acceptable manner, or can at least knowingly use a term which isn't a precise fit but will work for a work of game fiction. vaettir doesn't sound quite right, but I'm thinking it might be close. My family is polish on one side, so I'll sometimes think a word pronounced with a "v" is spelled with a "w"

- - - Updated - - -

I just remembered it, but I can't find anything about it, so I'm not sure on the spelling. Something like wighter/wyder/witer. Any clue?

- - - Updated - - -

Looking again at your post, yeah, it's something to do with the vaettir, just possibly gone through a few hoops and filters, as it were. So that gives me something to work with. I'm writing about an inn/brothel where anything can be acquired, and was looking for sort of inhabiting spirit that can attend to guests' requests.

Comment

In the Germanic/ Scandinavian sense, you're sort of describing Husvaetter...
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Korbl View Post
          Looking again at your post, yeah, it's something to do with the vaettir, just possibly gone through a few hoops and filters, as it were. So that gives me something to work with. I'm writing about an inn/brothel where anything can be acquired, and was looking for sort of inhabiting spirit that can attend to guests' requests.
          'Vaettir' is the Old Norse term that is thought to be the origin of 'wights', and it just means 'spirits'. The singular is 'vaettr' and the plural is 'vaettir'. There are a number of cognate terms in Old English, Middle English, German and other Germanic languages that are basically variations of 'wight'.

A vaettr in itself is not specific to anywhere... it's a generic term. Rick mentioned husvaettir, which is a word used in modern Heathenry and Northern Traditions that translates to 'house spirit'. If you were wanting a vaettr that resides in the hearth than that would be the most appropriate term from the Northern paths (it's Old Norse).

Is there a cultural or religious flavour to your book? You may find that using this word, even though you are familiar with it, is not as immersive as using a word from a culture that closely matches the one you are writing about.

Comment

It's for D&D. The cultures are so confused that there's little chance of breaking immersion. Thanks for your guys' help!

Comment

Working...
            X