Hugin and Munin, Odin help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugin and Munin, Odin help

I'm new here, and fairly new to Asatru as well. I have an appointment scheduled to get a Hugin and Munin tattoo this coming weekend. But after hearing of different experiences with Odin, I'm not sure I should. I hear he is a very intense god, and I don't want to draw his attention, especially since I'm inexperienced. I'm not sure if he would take that as me being marked for him or not. Should I just get crows instead of specific ravens? Any input, thoughts, advice welcome! Thanks!

Re: Hugin and Munin, Odin help

I'm thinking that if you're having doubts, you have your answer.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
      I'm new here, and fairly new to Asatru as well. I have an appointment scheduled to get a Hugin and Munin tattoo this coming weekend. But after hearing of different experiences with Odin, I'm not sure I should. I hear he is a very intense god, and I don't want to draw his attention, especially since I'm inexperienced. I'm not sure if he would take that as me being marked for him or not. Should I just get crows instead of specific ravens? Any input, thoughts, advice welcome! Thanks!
      Having Hugin and Munin tattooed on your body may or may not draw Odin's attention (now a Valknut. . .). So if you have any doubts, it's best to get some crows instead of those specific ravens. This is especially important, since tattoos are more or less permanent.
      Last edited by Satu; 13 Jan 2014, 07:55. Reason: speeling derp
      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
        Having Hugin and Munin tattooed on your body may or may not draw Odin's attention (now a Valknut. . .). So if you have any doubts, it's best to get some crows instead of those specific ravens. This is especially important, since tattoos are more or less permanent.
        Right. This is more tattoo advice than religious advice, but it still stands. Don't put anything on your body you aren't totally sure about...IMHO anyway.

Comment

I think I've decided getting ravens tattooed will be alright as long as I don't specifically say they're Hugin and Munin and don't include any Odin symbols. What do you think? Thanks for your advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
          Right. This is more tattoo advice than religious advice, but it still stands. Don't put anything on your body you aren't totally sure about...IMHO anyway.
          I do agree with that very much. I have over 30 tattoos and I wasn't smart about a couple of them, hence a couple cover ups. I apologize if this was not an appropriate place to ask this! Thank you for your answer

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rick View Post
          I'm thinking that if you're having doubts, you have your answer.
          Agreed! Thank you for the input

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
            I think I've decided getting ravens tattooed will be alright as long as I don't specifically say they're Hugin and Munin and don't include any Odin symbols. What do you think? Thanks for your advice.
            As long as the intent, or the thought that, "yeah, these are kind of Hugin and Munin", are absent, you'll probably be okay. There's never any guarantees with any deity, though. And the "when in doubt. . . " advice still stands. ^_^
            Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

As There's never any guarantees with any deity, though. And the "when in doubt. . . " advice still stands. ^_^
              Yes.

This is why, despite the fact that I don't "believe" (such a loaded word) in deities as literal, physical manefestations, I don't mess with La Sirene (she and I have an understanding).

Even though I really want this as a tattoo:

Veve_LaSirene.jpg
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

As long as the intent, or the thought that, "yeah, these are kind of Hugin and Munin", are absent, you'll probably be okay. There's never any guarantees with any deity, though. And the "when in doubt. . . " advice still stands. ^_^
                Thank you so much for all of your input, I appreciate it. I'm going with crows instead

Comment

As long as you're sure. Never do anything you're not sure about.
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment