Question About Altars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Altars

I have an unusual question, which is more complicated at first glance.

I've been Pagan for about ten years now. I'm just getting into Asatru. I was drawn to Thor, but as I was researching the other gods, someone on this forum mentioned that Loki is the god who teaches us to question everything, specifically social norms. For me it was a great big OH MY GODS, YES! moment.

My house is in mid-remodel at the moment, but I began instantly planning an altar for Loki.

Now to the actual question. I know that I don't *have* to have a statue of Loki on the altar, but I'd like to. I've been looking for one and I can't find any I like. They either depict him as a leering drunkard, or a horned monster. As some of you may have guessed by my name and user pic, I collect dolls and action figures. I could kitbash a figure of Loki for my altar. The thing is: most of the action figure parts I have access to would make up Marvel's Loki, as played by sexy beast Tom Hiddleston. And I just don't know how I feel about putting that on an altar.

On the one hand, Tom Hiddleston is a sexy beast and I don't think Loki would be offended to be portrayed by a man at least 3/4 of the population wants to hump. Also, I'm not 'out' to all of my family, and an action figure on an altar would just look like one more action figure to someone who didn't know better.

On the other hand, it's just a silly movie! A very silly movie! I'd kind of like to keep a distance between the comics and actual Heathenry. I don't want to disrespect the faith, you know?

Also, why is Loki always depicted with horns? Most of the statues I've seen of him have them, sometimes on his helmet, sometimes just growing out of his head. Maybe a bleed over from Christianity? He does have the nickname 'the Northern Satan'.

Anyway, I'd like to hear other's thoughts on this.

Re: Question About Altars

I use printed pictures from the internet for my altar. This page has some lovely pictures of Loki that are not Marvel or sinister. http://www.northernpaganism.org/shrines/loki/index.html

Comment

Printed pictures are definitely a good alternative.

If you're going to use non-traditional images (like a Hiddleston version of Loki), double-check with the deity in question first. If the deity is happy, and that's your only option for now, why not? Oh, and if the image is going to be too much of a distraction, don't use it.
      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I think that might backfire on you.

Loki from the movies is nothing like Loki from mythology. I think it might lead you to not take him seriously enough. He does lead you to question, but he is also a dark trickster and killed his own brother out of spite. You have to handle him with care.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
          I think that might backfire on you.

Loki from the movies is nothing like Loki from mythology. I think it might lead you to not take him seriously enough. He does lead you to question, but he is also a dark trickster and killed his own brother out of spite. You have to handle him with care.
          What brother, exactly, would that be?
          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
          Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I do have a statue of Cerunos but I also have printed pictures too.
            Attached Files

Comment

I haven't actually seen the movies, just stills and posters. They must have been pretty bad, though. Loki didn't like the action figure idea at all, so I'm not going to do it.

I like the images Ula posted. I might use one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahll Haus View Post
                I haven't actually seen the movies, just stills and posters. They must have been pretty bad, though.
                Actually the movies are great (to me). But, I don't treat them as "Marvel interpretations are the be-all end-all of the Norse gods." The Thor movies are just another way for me to geek out, sometimes playfully point out flaws. Point is: Marvel Loki is a character, based rather loosely on the real thing. But while we're on the subject of characters: me and some friends use the Norse gods in RPG and Loki is a rather fun one to write.

Loki didn't like the action figure idea at all, so I'm not going to do it.
                Good call. I don't have an altar, nor do I set up shrines, but I've actually opted not to put static images as portrayals of the gods I honor. That's just my preference though.

Ultimately, I'll stress what Rowanwood said. Loki isn't someone to take whimsically. I have worked with him once. I prefer to withhold the details, but I will say there will not be a second time. Not that I was harmed, nor was there a true "breach of contract" on his part, but I felt uneasy about the whole thing. I may playfully call myself Sith, but I'm more of a do-gooder than someone who dabbles with chaos. So my advice, if you decide to continue with your Loki venture: just be careful.

Comment

I've already realized Loki is not for the faint of heart! I've not felt threatened or uneasy so far, but strange noises in the night pets acting strangely never bothered me. Especially when the magic words 'Okay, I won't put Tom Hiddleston on your altar! I promise!' Makes it all go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    What brother, exactly, would that be?
                    I don't know why my brain make them brothers. Aren't Loki and Baldr sort of step-brothers or am I just cross referencing since he tricked his actual brother into actually doing the deed? I'm no Heathen, so I cross reference my mythology sometimes. I know that ticks you guys off. Sorry about that.

Comment

Loki is blood-brother to Odin, but no actual relation to Baldr.

Comment

Baldr is the son of Odin and Frigg. Thor is the son of Odin and Fjorgyn. Loki's parents are Farbauti and Laufey.

I cannot recall at the moment that Loki and Thor are actual brothers/half brothers/step brothers/etc. I think this is Marvel story line. (This is most likely my ignorance and newness.) I can recall reading "the foster brother of Odin" somewhere in regards to Loki though. This mostly stood out because I decided to look more into it, not starting it is fact. I mostly was coming in on the genealogy part.

PS My spelling is rotten, I'm limited by my malfunctioning device. I apologize.

Comment

baldr's brother was blind hodr who was tricked by Loki into killing Baldr with a dart made from mistletoe - the only plant which Frigg (mother of Baldr and Hodr)had not secured a promise not to harm baldr from - because it is so floppy and safe - so the throwing of plant darts at baldr became a game as they wouldn't hurt him....

Comment

This isn't mine so I am linking to it. This is someone's altar from Tumblr. It's simple and lovely and a picture. http://holdasown.tumblr.com/post/710...y-went-full-on

Comment

I knew the name Hodor from GoT was Norse somewhere! baha
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment