Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Is More Important? (Mundane Life vs. Spiritual Life)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Is More Important? (Mundane Life vs. Spiritual Life)

I just read a Witchvox article which began by saying that one's mundane life must be in order before one's spiritual life can follow. Perhaps it's a commonly distributed bit of advice.

I'm trying to do things in reverse. I had assumed that my mundane life being out of whack was just a symptom of the underlying issue, and that getting my spiritual and emotional affairs in order would translate into a better, more organized and calm daily life by providing an anchor of sorts.

What do you think?

Re: Which Is More Important? (Mundane Life vs. Spiritual Life)

I don't think they are separate. I don't think there is a mundane life and a spiritual life...you either have a life where you find the divine in the mundane and the mundane in the divine, or you don't. Personally, I think assuming they are separate and one comes before the other is courting imbalance.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Spirituality is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes just too much damn emotion on 'life lessons'. I'd like a year of being dumb. Thank you.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I concur with thal, there. They both coincide with one another: the mundane and spiritual worlds. Being able to have and keep balance in your life is something that a spiritual person is able to do, even if they live a lay life style. Kind of the more balanced the inside the more balanced becomes the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_coyote View Post
          I concur with thal, there. They both coincide with one another: the mundane and spiritual worlds. Being able to have and keep balance in your life is something that a spiritual person is able to do, even if they live a lay life style. Kind of the more balanced the inside the more balanced becomes the outside.
          I'm confused by your response. If they each need equal tending, how then does a balanced inside equate to a balanced outside?

Comment

Originally posted by KarrinMurphy View Post
            I'm confused by your response. If they each need equal tending, how then does a balanced inside equate to a balanced outside?
            When someone is spiritually fighting with themselves, they tend to be a mess on the outside. How can you have a clean floor if you are constantly throwing spiritual crumbs on it? Something like that. Only less Yoda like.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

There's no right or wrong answer - each individual has to find their own balance.

For me, it was the realization that I don't need to be out in the woods to feel spiritual. I don't even like the Great Outdoors unless there is a hotel with a bar, good restaurant & hot running water nearby. Once I learned that a city could be my personal sacred space, it cleared up a lot of time I had spent looking for time when I could 'get away from it all'. My tapwater is sacred, the food in my fridge is sacred and I'm sacred. When I need to reconnect, I take a hot shower or go out in my backyard & wave to the Moon, or even just close my eyes and focus on my breathing for a few minutes.

But that's what works for me - you've got to listen to yourself and find what works for you.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

you've got to listen to yourself and find what works for you.
                nice one !

that works for me too...the spiritual side of things works fine...the mundane side...blimey how many psychologists have you on hand....balance is something that every one of us has to find for ourselves

there is no right and no wrong balance....just what works

Comment

Which is more important? (mundane Life vs. Spiritual Life)

What do you think?
                  Yes.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I just read a Witchvox article which began by saying that one's mundane life must be in order before one's spiritual life can follow. Perhaps it's a commonly distributed bit of advice.

I'm trying to do things in reverse. I had assumed that my mundane life being out of whack was just a symptom of the underlying issue, and that getting my spiritual and emotional affairs in order would translate into a better, more organized and calm daily life by providing an anchor of sorts.

What do you think?
                    I think the mundane has to be in order for the spiritual to work. Consider that no matter how much the spiritual feeds your body it will die unless the mundane body is feed as well. Yet if you do not have the means to feed the mundane then the body can not be feed. So you have to have the means to obtain food to feed the body. That means a job or whatever but the mundane has to be in balance and working before you can dedicate the time and energy to the spiritual.

Sort of like social development I suppose. Artistic endeavors didn't develop until basic mundane needs were filled. Once you had a balance or surplus then you could dedicate the time to the other. Well unless you were of the religious class and others provided to you which not to many of us have today.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm with Thal that I don't see a distinction. My mundane life IS my spiritual life. It's just all my life.

However, trying to find perfect balance is like juggling knives. You are going to hurt yourself. I just try to hang on to the safety bar as the roller coaster flips over so I don't fall out. Balance is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                        Balance is overrated.
                        Yes!

I *say* balance alot...but really I don't believe in it. I believe (and despite what the dictionary says, they really aren't the same thing) in equilibrium. Because, with equalibrium, the system is always in flux depending on changing demands...in "balance" there's this subversive subconscious idea that things must be "equal".

The mundane *is* sacred, there's no separation between the two...but, sometimes something will be more "high minded" and something else more "nitty gritty", that I think makes us feel as if there is a division. More because our minds very much lean towards dichotomous thinking--very black and white...but real life is a spectrum (or, more than a spectrum...its a spectrum in 4 dimensions...or like a hyperbolic function, which you have to crochet or knit to see).
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          ....its a spectrum in 4 dimensions...or like a hyperbolic function, which you have to crochet or knit to see).
                          /start thread derail

This is totally why I struggle with crochet. I try....but it's like hand-eye coordination calculus and I'm lucky I can walk and chew gum.

Though I can totally pull a Robin Hood with a bow. I don't get that.

Anyway...

/derail

Comment

I don't think they are separate. I don't think there is a mundane life and a spiritual life...you either have a life where you find the divine in the mundane and the mundane in the divine, or you don't. Personally, I think assuming they are separate and one comes before the other is courting imbalance.
                            I agree with thalassa as well. I don't think they are separate. I just don't think they can be. The mundane is part of your spiritual life. At least that is my opinion.
                            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Yes!

I *say* balance alot...but really I don't believe in it. I believe (and despite what the dictionary says, they really aren't the same thing) in equilibrium. Because, with equalibrium, the system is always in flux depending on changing demands...in "balance" there's this subversive subconscious idea that things must be "equal".

The mundane *is* sacred, there's no separation between the two...but, sometimes something will be more "high minded" and something else more "nitty gritty", that I think makes us feel as if there is a division. More because our minds very much lean towards dichotomous thinking--very black and white...but real life is a spectrum (or, more than a spectrum...its a spectrum in 4 dimensions...or like a hyperbolic function, which you have to crochet or knit to see).
                              I agree. We (collective use) tend to use "Balance" to describe it but I agree that it's not really balance in the concept of a 50 - 50 ratio but more of a dynamic ratio that is in constant flux and movement to create a whole of 100 percent. Some days the mundane gets the total 100, some days the spiritual gets it but most times it's a constant sliding scale as it changes through out my day.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X