This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religious Hostility

By Tom Heneghan, Religion Editor (Reuters) - Violence and discrimination against religious groups by governments and rival faiths have reached new highs in all regions of the world except the Americas, according to a new Pew Research Center report. Social hostility such as attacks on minority faiths or pressure to conform to certain norms was strong in one-third of the 198 countries and territories surveyed in 2012, especially in the Middle East and North Africa, it said on Tuesday. The Washington-based center, which is non-partisan and takes no policy position in its reports, gave no reason for the rises noted in hostility against Christians, Muslims, Jews and an "other" category including Sikhs, Bah'ais and atheists. Hindus, Buddhists and folk religions saw lower levels of hostility and little change in the past six years, according to the report's extensive data.

So I just read this article about religious hostility increasing in all of the world except the Americas. Its a scary thought, and I'd like everyone's take on this, especially since we have members from outside of the Americas.

Why do you think this is on the upswing? Or is it not that there is more violence, just that is is finally being reported or maybe that those in minority faiths are finally saying they've had enough?

Re: Religious Hostility

0_0 glad I am in America apparently.

Note that it classified War and Terrorism as social hostility though, that kind of skews things a bit from "people are upset" to "holy wars suck".
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I think its because religion has its finger in too many pies. That used to be okay, because religion also had "the answers"...now we know it only has "some of the answers for some of the people some of the time". Religion is wielded as a tool to Other.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

The article was talking about Jews facing hostility. I thought we got past that when Hitler started War World II and the Holocaust. Did we not learn anything as human beings? I just don't understand why people still want to be hostile against Jewish people.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Yes. Religion is used as a tool of repression in some countries. And people are getting sick and tired of it.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

To me, as long as there are people with the mindset of "I'm right and everyone else is wrong," there's going to be religious hostility. The fact that it's growing (really just a bit) probably means that the world is on its way to a great change, possibly in the form of the collapse of at least a few of the biggest world religions. Not completely eradicated, but at least the biggest global drivers of said religions would be gone. Such as the Vatican for Christianity/Catholicism.

Sorry if that stopped making sense towards the end. I kind of lost my train of thought.

Comment

Here in Australia, I can't say that I ever hear of any cases of religious violence against Christians, Muslims, etc. In fact, I don't hear much about religion at all here unless it's about the "street preachers" here in Adelaide harassing the attendants of the gay pride festivals and parades.

I don't really have much to add that others haven't already addressed. I do feel that it may indeed be a mixture of literal increased violence against perceived or factual oppressive religious regimes/institutions as well as increased visibility within the media.

It would be difficult to say how many religious attacks occur worldwide against people of minority faiths, but it does seem that if practitioners from any of the Abrahamic faiths are killed for their beliefs, it is rather sensationalised and drawn attention to.

Comment

the way things are going here in the UK i wouldn't be surprised to see religious intolerance start to become a problem

a sham government doing an appalling job looking for scapegoats....inciting by their policies an anti anyone who is different culture (ok hands up...thats always been there) but getting worse with the anti EU & etc rhetoric

will have to wait and see what happens

Comment

First thought was 'Well the reason America hasn't reached a new high is because it was the highest already" :P But that's just a LOL. Don't take offense.

Australia has problems with Muslims, and Arabs, occasionally, because idiots think they are all terrorists. Taxi drivers, businesses and such being assaulted. Not so much in recent years, but a few years ago.

On the flip side, I am seeing WAY more pentacles around. I don't think there are more pagans, just that more people feel safe wearing them.
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I agree with Thalassa in this area. Especially it's tense in the Middle East (we all might know why).

In my opinion, it's because many religion followers think that their path and beliefs are the correct and right ones and everybody should follow them.
                    Even ordinary modern and I say again MODERN Jews in my area who get a "no" for the "Do you believe in Judaism?" question have mostly the next face:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_m7ebtepGb21r2isst.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	352204
                    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                      First thought was 'Well the reason America hasn't reached a new high is because it was the highest already" :P But that's just a LOL. Don't take offense.

Australia has problems with Muslims, and Arabs, occasionally, because idiots think they are all terrorists. Taxi drivers, businesses and such being assaulted. Not so much in recent years, but a few years ago.

On the flip side, I am seeing WAY more pentacles around. I don't think there are more pagans, just that more people feel safe wearing them.
                      It's just that anything that could be consider hostile in any way, including derogatory flatulence and bad jokes make the news here and someone gets arrested. All in all, its very safe in the US to be openly whatever you want.

Though I think being openly a furry makes it makes it hard to get a job. It's the bunny ears. People just don't take them seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                        http://news.yahoo.com/religious-grou...150713420.html

So I just read this article about religious hostility increasing in all of the world except the Americas. Its a scary thought, and I'd like everyone's take on this, especially since we have members from outside of the Americas.

Why do you think this is on the upswing? Or is it not that there is more violence, just that is is finally being reported or maybe that those in minority faiths are finally saying they've had enough?
                        It really isn't. All supposedly "religious" conflict is rooted in something economic or political to begin with anyway. Many of these supposed conflicts in the modern era are actually ethnic in nature. If I remember correctly it's actually down overall.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                          The article was talking about Jews facing hostility. I thought we got past that when Hitler started War World II and the Holocaust. Did we not learn anything as human beings? I just don't understand why people still want to be hostile against Jewish people.
                          Really, it is mostly because of the Israeli abuse of the Palestinians, which the Islamic world feels has more of a right to the region, regardless of if you think the Israelis have already had it rough, being abused doesn't give you the free pass to do the same to others.

- - - Updated - - -

Really I don't think the hostility has gotten worse, I think that it has actually gotten much better, really I think it is mostly how much smaller the world has gotten, so events that would be insignificant in the past, especially to very religious areas, like say someone of the religious minority being killed for their beliefs, not get televised and seen and reported.

Comment

I'm seeing reports of Buddhists killing Muslims in Burma...
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think there are a few reasons:

Mass production of weapons.
                              Advancement of weapons
                              Media

I think all these things attribute to it.

A lot of people are stubborn to. With media showing things they disfavor like sex ect they feel the need to protect their beliefs more. Expose they children to extremes, ideals ect. If that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X