My spring altar [ATTACH=CONFIG]3831[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3832[/ATTACH]
    Lovely Spring setup.
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Re: Pagan Altars

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
      Very pretty altar, Luna!
      It's nice to see how you change it with the seasons

I've been thinking about redoing mine. I'm going to try and convince my mother to bring down my old altar out of storage when she visits in March as I'd like to have my bookcase shelf back, but I don't know if she'll bring it or not. It probably depends on which car she brings and if my Dad ends up coming too. If my Dad's coming, I'm sure he'll pack it for me.

It's a rather large wooden chest painted red; it will be nice to have the storage space for my magickal supplies again and to have more surface space for my altar too. It's the perfect height for kneeling in front of while meditating and I have a perfect spot to put it in my room.
      Thank you I tend to change it for season and for the sabbats, have another altar setup for esbates Your wodden chest sounds really nice, I love large wodden chests as they can serve as many purposes I have a bookshelf, since it is in my livingroom. In my kitchen I have a small altar and I tend to have one outside (when the weather allows it ).

I would love to see your altar when you get it up

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
      Lovely Spring setup.
      Thank you

Comment

Here is my main altar. In the basket are crystals. The table itself is abalone/pearl inlay.
        Attached Files
        "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
        And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
        They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
        The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
        - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

(Apologies for the pictures not being super clear.)

This is the main to The Morrigan; it's both a working altar and a shrine. The picture in the corner was made by me as was the pentacle in the middle. The two rings on the left are wire-wrapped by me and are clear quartz and smokey quartz.

IMG_0685.jpg

This my shrine to Bast.

IMG_0687.jpg

This was an outside altar for Ostara
          WP_20150320_18_44_19_Pro.jpg

Comment

I don't really use my altar much these days.

This was my altar about a year ago, when I was still working there fairly often;

Notice the neatly stacked books, the way everything has its place.. the recently dressed altar..

This is my altar right now;

What can I say for myself? Even my magpies (my spirit animal, if that wasn't obvious) have left the altar and are cowering in the corner. ww At least I've obviously been reading.. and not replacing the books...

See, my altar is in the study, what was my bedroom when I lived here with my friend, in the before JP days. When JP moved his PC in there and I was sent packing to a desk awkwardly placed in the corner of the bedroom, it just wasn't practical to use my altar anymore.

Now I either work without any tools at all (about 60-70% of the time), or I wait until JP is working late and then this happens to our coffee table...

Ah yes, the fun that can be had with a palm tree, a bottle wine, a jar of pee and a hammer...

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, to compare to my altar back in the day..

(I lost the original photo, so this is a blown up version of one I'd made smaller to fit on the old format pagan forum, when photos used to come out huge.. hence the poor quality).

That must have been I can't decide if I was just a try hard back then, or if I'm just not trying hard enough now...
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I wish I could see the last one more clearly, it looks like a neat setup.

I love seeing peoples' altars, so inspiring. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                I wish I could see the last one more clearly, it looks like a neat setup.

I love seeing peoples' altars, so inspiring. ^^
                Me too. I'm gutted that I don't have the original photo anymore. There's a tiny chance that it is on my old laptop, so next time I'm digging about on there looking for audio files, I'll check the photos just in case. That was when I still lived with my mum, and was probably taken about 6 to 8 years ago. It's all been taken down now. Some came here, of course, and much went to my niece when she started getting into witchcraft and paganism.

Looking at that photo, it's hard to make out but I remember the original, there's a little corner shelf on the right hand side. I used that as a sort of second mini altar if I had on-going spells (like 'tie a knot in the string every day' type spells), or I'd keep that dressed for the season if the main altar needed to be used for something else. I had completely forgotten about that little shelf.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  Me too. I'm gutted that I don't have the original photo anymore. There's a tiny chance that it is on my old laptop, so next time I'm digging about on there looking for audio files, I'll check the photos just in case. That was when I still lived with my mum, and was probably taken about 6 to 8 years ago. It's all been taken down now. Some came here, of course, and much went to my niece when she started getting into witchcraft and paganism.

Looking at that photo, it's hard to make out but I remember the original, there's a little corner shelf on the right hand side. I used that as a sort of second mini altar if I had on-going spells (like 'tie a knot in the string every day' type spells), or I'd keep that dressed for the season if the main altar needed to be used for something else. I had completely forgotten about that little shelf.
                  Ah I understand. I have very few surviving photos or relics from 8 years ago too. The little second altar shelf is a good idea... I may have to ninja that for myself when I'm back in a situation of being able to build a non-mobile altar.

Comment

Just made my first altar/shrine today, just using an altoids tin. Space and conspicuousness are an issue right now, but I was told that something like a tin would work. I made it for Odin, as it is "Wodensday" (Wednesday). Unfortunately I can't make Thor's tomorrow because I'll be gone out of town. I intend to say prayers and wear my hammer (probably after saying prayers) though.

I looked up short prayers to Odin and found a couple from a list (the first 2 in the pic) that resonated with me, and the 3rd I wrote myself, with inspiration from other prayers. I would also like to expand the contents of it but for right now it should work. It made me feel good to make it and say the prayers

Comment

Not sure if this will work from my phone...

IMG_20150611_085152.jpg
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

^that is the altar/shrine in my office at work

as an aside, I was able to upload the pic from my phone, but it was a PITA, and I can't go back and edit the post (on a computer) without the contents disappearing from the post and if I try the quote function the website times out on me...
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pihlaja View Post
                          [quote author=Nyx link=topic=109.msg10854#msg10854 date=1289237155]
                          I haven't had an altar in years. :-[
                          I really need to set them up. I want to do a few around my apartment, but they'll have to be small because my space is limited. Also, there is the issue that I may need to make it fairly inconspicuous so that family doesn't give me weird looks when they visit. (My family is catholic and doesn't know I consider myself pagan. :-X)
                          And surely it's also possible to put for example pictures and/or statues representng your gods away from the sight when you're family members are coming to visit? Though it might be an easier option indeed to have something symbolic representing them on the altar. For example I hold those two tealight holders on my altar for the soft, intuitive feminine side and strong, rational and masculine side (i'd say goddess if i believed in personal deities). Round and white is for feminine and the green one with sharper edges is for masculine.[/QUOTE]

Here's a thought-Jesus candle or image stands in for the God, Mary candle or image stands in for the Goddess-kind of like voodoo where it started through African slaves using Catholic imagery to represent their gods and goddesses. Also Celtic crosses are full of pagan symbols hiding all over them! Get one of the squarish ones and it's more of a sun symbol/wheel incongnito.

Comment

Originally posted by Seax_Blade View Post
                            Just made my first altar/shrine today, just using an altoids tin. Space and conspicuousness are an issue right now, but I was told that something like a tin would work. I made it for Odin, as it is "Wodensday" (Wednesday). Unfortunately I can't make Thor's tomorrow because I'll be gone out of town. I intend to say prayers and wear my hammer (probably after saying prayers) though.

I looked up short prayers to Odin and found a couple from a list (the first 2 in the pic) that resonated with me, and the 3rd I wrote myself, with inspiration from other prayers. I would also like to expand the contents of it but for right now it should work. It made me feel good to make it and say the prayers
                            The discussion about making an altar out of anything just got my mind working as I'm trying to fall asleep. For those who cannot be open with their areas of worship, I had an idea, and it would also work for portable, travel type altars as well.

Use your phone, tablet, computer, or laptop! Have a special background picked out with images and symbols, perhaps even very specific folder icons/candle gifs. For laptops and desktops, you could even create a totally separate User setting with a password lock so no one else can access it and it remains sacred and private. For phones and tablets, just prop up, get yourself ready, and away you go!

Comment

That's such a cool little altar, thal!

My car altar.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by volcaniclastic; 11 Jun 2015, 21:17.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                                That's such a cool little altar, thal!

My car altar.
                                Now that is quite cool actually, but if you accelerate too hard, do pieces fly everywhere?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                                The discussion about making an altar out of anything just got my mind working as I'm trying to fall asleep. For those who cannot be open with their areas of worship, I had an idea, and it would also work for portable, travel type altars as well.

Use your phone, tablet, computer, or laptop! Have a special background picked out with images and symbols, perhaps even very specific folder icons/candle gifs. For laptops and desktops, you could even create a totally separate User setting with a password lock so no one else can access it and it remains sacred and private. For phones and tablets, just prop up, get yourself ready, and away you go!
                                There is actually a site for us Heathens to "light a candle" and leave a message for our gods. They are virtual shrines, even though I'm not 100% sure they have high speed internet in Valhalla. Here's the link for the interested.
                                "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                                And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                                They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                                The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                                - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X