• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Altars

Nice, Seax_Blade; especially the wolf!
    It's so awesome getting to see how other people set up their altars :^^:

Comment

I'm still designing the construction of mine which will be outdoors (it has to be) after I found a remarkable ring of holly trees, ritually significant as a native evergreen, with a hollow about 1.5-2m in diameter, with quite a dense canopy, like a roof, over the top. I've been thinking over whether this is right and have been visiting the site a few times since I first set my mind on it. Last night at Avebury felt very intimate amongst the stones and I felt, after the labyrinth, that I was having my choice affirmed. Today during a walk I took my wife to show her the site and lo and behold, we discovered a profundity of mushrooms. The presence of this guide to other worlds, I felt, was a token of the affirmation. You may wonder why this is significant, but these were mushrooms.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
      Okay, well, since I've decided that this is the year that I start doing things more on my terms and to not do so much based off of what other people feel is right ... To coincide with my first holiday observation (as I mentioned in the Halloween thread), I started on making an outside altar. As of right now, it's very simple, without any real bells and whistles, but I sort of feel that that is part of it's charm for me.

This is in my back yard, almost as far back as possible, tucked into a little alcove with forsythia bushes on both sides. All of the logs are from trees that fell in my yard during a major ice storm a few years ago, interestingly enough a storm that hit ON Halloween. I've had them in a pile at the end of my driveway ever since, saving them for some reason. I just started to grab the ones that felt right, and placed them where they seemed to fit. The stone in the center I had etched myself, the bowl was one of my very first purchases when I became pagan, and I've kept it all this time. The spear has been in my family for at least 30 years. It was given to my grandparents by my uncle after he had visited Africa, and it was supposedly made by the Maasai. I inherited it along with the house after my grandparents died. And well, the rope is pretty new, but I know in time it will lose that white look and will become weathered and dark, matching the rest.

Next week with be it's first ritual outing, the first of many to come.
      That's a real nice altar you have there
      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
      But that day you know I left my money
      And I thought of you only
      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
        I'm still designing the construction of mine which will be outdoors (it has to be) after I found a remarkable ring of holly trees, ritually significant as a native evergreen, with a hollow about 1.5-2m in diameter, with quite a dense canopy, like a roof, over the top. I've been thinking over whether this is right and have been visiting the site a few times since I first set my mind on it. Last night at Avebury felt very intimate amongst the stones and I felt, after the labyrinth, that I was having my choice affirmed. Today during a walk I took my wife to show her the site and lo and behold, we discovered a profundity of mushrooms. The presence of this guide to other worlds, I felt, was a token of the affirmation. You may wonder why this is significant, but these were mushrooms.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a real nice altar you have there
        nice alter !

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippie View Post
          nice alter !
          Were you meaning to quote Munin-Hugin on their woodland altar?
          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
          But that day you know I left my money
          And I thought of you only
          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
            Were you meaning to quote Munin-Hugin on their woodland altar?
            ___________yes_________

Comment

My altar in it's current form...

Have to setup in my shop downstairs, some of the extended family is not ready to accept everything.

Comment

Originally posted by unseen1 View Post
                My altar in it's current form...

Have to setup in my shop downstairs, some of the extended family is not ready to accept everything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4493[/ATTACH]
                Unseen1, your image link hasn't worked as the PF image uploader doesn't recognise it as a valid image. You can try to post it again, or you can use an off-site image hoster (I use Photobucket) and link the image from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
                  Does anyone have any piccies of their altar (if you have one) and/or any tips on creating one?
                  One thing I've learned is that simpler altars are better. Right now, my altar has way too much stuff on it and it gathers dust. All the items on the altar make it difficult to clean, which means the dust piles up, and that's just not cool. I have all kinds of bottles, stones, jewelry, candles, and even knives which accrued during the time that I didn't really understand the Kemetic concept of offerings. I tried to compensate by just buying a lot of stuff and giving it to the gods. Now I need to find something to do with all that stuff, so that I can respectfully dispose of it and get my altar back to a manageable state.

But right now, when it's clean, my main altar looks like this:

altarflowers.jpg

It's been a while since it's been that neat, though. I could do away with everything except the cabinet (which holds my divine images), the Bast-cat oil diffuser/incense burner, an oil lamp or votive candle holder, and some small dishes for libation and bread offerings. The Eye of Heru might be useful for some rituals, too. Other than that, it's unnecessary clutter.
                  With kind regards,
                  Banu

Comment

Lets try this again, renamed file & shrunk it a bit

altar.jpg

Comment

Here's my altar setup for Yule 2015.

DSCF0001.JPG

It's very basic, but I like it that way.

Comment

I like it! There is little to distract you and all the elements are present. Well done!
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

My home is small 12' X 18' so I plan to have a small one indoors and also one outdoors

Comment

Here is how mine looks now

IMG_0297.jpg

Comment

Mabon, this year. I don't have any kind of proper Yule altar, this year; just some winter decor. I'll have to get a picture of my standard year round set up, in a couple of weeks, when I take winter down. 1.jpg

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X