This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Altars

My altar tends to just be a couple of baking trays that I put my candles etc.. on to avoid damaging the carpet. When not in use; I keep all my occult stuff (candles, book, essential oils, crystals...) in a sideboard.

I don't have space for a permanent altar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      Oh V it's fab! It was nice before, but the idea of mounting the cabinet to the wall is great! I know what you mean about getting into a rut with your altar. I love mine as it is, so I bet it stays basically the same for a long time. I am planning on putting up some shelves at the sides (not over where the candles are though), but now I'm wondering if the wardrobe would be strong enough to take two corner cabinets at either side. Yeah, thinking of stealing your idea. Haha

Oh btw, if anyone knows of a kitten-proof way to light candles on my altar, I'm all ears. I was so thrilled at being able to leave the doors open and keep an eye on candles I've left lit, but now little Pie is just too easily attracted by all the feathers and shiny things.. I've still been sitting there and speaking to my gods, but I don't dare light candles unless Magpie is sleeping or playing in the yard.
      Thanks! It's taken me a bit to get used to the new set up, but I'm really digging it. It feels so much better and 'right' than it did before.

Also, your kitten attacks candles? You know, I bet she singes her paws once, and she won't pat at them again.

Mostly art.

Comment

My first post here. I like topics like this, seeing other people's altar.
        I can't post my pictures, probably because I don't have enough posts.
        You can see my altar here:

s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx35/Aine-Vampire-Queen/witchcraft/My%20altar/

Comment

Not really an altar, but it's a great place to sit and let my mind wander.

Comment

The sea!! 1320582265486.jpg
            ~ flowers are our only garments
            only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

111_6653.jpg part of my personal "working space"
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

This year's Solstice altar:
                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

My alter table is the only table in the house kitty is afraid to climb, and the only space I can put a tree... so it's currently a tree...
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                    This year's Solstice altar:
                    I'm so jealous of the holly and the oak, Clive! We don't have either one of those growing in northern BC.

- - - Updated - - -

okay, okay - here's mine. The only thing I've added since this pic is some carnelian and some aventurine. I collected the cedar a few hours from town, since it doesn't grow this far in from the coast, and the grapefruit slices are dried and candied. Sorry for the somewhat crappy quality to some of the photos - the sun wasn't fully up when I took a few of them, and they're a bit blurry.

Mostly art.

Comment

Your altars are all so lovely! I like the way some of you have left pics of your favorite spots, too! My altar hasn't changed much in the last "X" amount of years but I have a pic around here somewhere. So lets see if I have enough posts to leave a pic... Or I'll just describe it for now.
                      My mother and grandfather had a little project back in the 70's where they made a few cabinets, (3 in total, 2 plus a connecting corner piece), and come the early 90's I found them in the garage rotting in the corner. So I took the better looking of the 2 flat wall cabinets and drug it up to my room. I haven't let it go since. It houses all my supplies (that can fit!) and the surface houses my more important pieces. Statues, representation of the quarters, and the center prayer candle that burns most of the day and night (I like my house and don't wish to burn it to the ground at the moment). I change the decor to reflect the present season. So if no picture pops up in this post I will add one when I can.

Comment

Yay I love these threads!

My altars have changed, been torn down, put back up, and basically evolved over the years. Recently I have picked my pagan studies back up and as usual when I pick something up that I had dropped at one point or other I started again from scratch.

This altar is in my basement (the only place I have any kind of privacy) and the cats haven’t destroyed it yet. Its in its bare bones stage currently evolving from a very simple meditation altar to a working altar. I will up date pictures once I get threw my current chapter of study which is all about altar building. It looks very Wiccan and “witchy” despite my not being either because I’m following the authors instructions in an effort to learn from doing rather then scoffing at his advice outright… its all about humility.

Altar barebones.jpg

This is a close up/uncovered pic of the green center cloth. I panted it after an image I found on the internet quite a while ago so mad props whoever had the original design.

2013-03-03_10.49.52.jpg
                        I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
                        because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
                        I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
                        for a might have-been has never been,
                        but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

Oh, so many pretty altars! Thanks for charing!
                          My blog
                          On Instagram
                          On Witches' Voice

Comment

We change them a lot, but tpyically any flat shelf works as long as we clean it, with a specific towel set down, a jade buddha in the center mostly as a focus, with a pair of very old animal skulls on either side, a few rune tablets, a matched set of candles and a large chest of stones of many sorts and types for us to use as needed, along with a old synthetic celtic skull, something of a mix of faiths really from buddha to voodoo to celtic and a few incense burners but it all meshes smoothly.

Comment

I'm not going to post a picture of mine, because it's a bit of a personal thing that I would rather not photograph, but I'd be happy to describe it.

I had been trying for some time to think of a good place for an altar in my home, and as it happens the perfect place was already in my front yard, just waiting to be discovered! Up on the hill in front of my house there is a formation of three large rocks, one with a natural shelf in it and two reaching out like arms of an armchair on either side. The rocks are beautiful, old and mossy and full of sparkly minerals. When the late afternoon sun is right it comes down in golden rays through the pine needles and turns it into a magical place where one can truly feel a communion with the earth around you. This is the spot where I go to burn incense, make offerings, or just relax, clear my mind and feel like a part of the earth.

I think that for faiths which revolve around natural energies and the earth, an outdoor altar can be a wonderful thing, especially if it is truly natural and all you have to add is yourself

Comment

I frequently change my shrine/altar areas. Practically every other week. This is what it currently looks like:

Picture 146.jpg

That's my shrine to Archangel Uriel. Red candles are one of the few colors I can find abundantly, so I have no issue burning them. Other colors -especially black- are generally not burned because I don't know when I'll be able to get another batch (probably once a year around Halloween, sadly.)

Comment

Working...
                                X