This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Hijabi Day!

So yeah, world Hijabi day is coming up on Feb 1st. I'm sorta considering doing this. Because when I was thinking of reverting, I found a deep connection to true feminism and Muslimahs. I can't think of a stronger group of women who are on the frontline of fighting for their rights. So I'm thinking I might do this. What are your thoughts? Wanna do it? Don't care? Can't stand it?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: World Hijabi Day!

This is totally off topic, and I only though about it because of the girl in the video with a face-full of (IMO, way too much) make-up (unless you're going clubbing or something)...but when I go to pick up Sharkbait from school, there's two moms in hijab, and completely and utterly skintight clothes and clubbing make-up....which always seems to me like a WTF is the point then?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      This is totally off topic, and I only though about it because of the girl in the video with a face-full of (IMO, way too much) make-up (unless you're going clubbing or something)...but when I go to pick up Sharkbait from school, there's two moms in hijab, and completely and utterly skintight clothes and clubbing make-up....which always seems to me like a WTF is the point then?
      I've wondered about that too. Isn't wearing one supposed to be about modesty? Wouldn't the body-con outfits and eyeshadow sort of negate that? Maybe I don't get it. Likely I don't....

Comment

It's World Hijab Day, not Hijabi, but I digress.

I am participating in it again this year. I wear the headscarf all the time and I love it

Hijab is modesty in general, not just the scarf, and it is required for men too. In fact, a verse in the Qur'an refers to men covering their modesty before women.

So for women, they are supposed to cover their arms, legs, and hair, and men are supposed to cover everything from their navel to their knee. To be honest, I'm not sure what navel is, but there you have it. I can get the actual verses if y'all want me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
          I've wondered about that too. Isn't wearing one supposed to be about modesty? Wouldn't the body-con outfits and eyeshadow sort of negate that? Maybe I don't get it. Likely I don't....
          there are a lot of meanings to a hijab. for some, it means modesty. for others, it's a sign of their faith. the same way that a christian might wear a cross, or a wiccan might wear a tripple moon necklace. so a muslim woman who chooses to wear a hijab is just as likely to dress however she wants as a woman who wears a cross. hijab doesn't dictate dress, personality, or anything else.

I feel like only muslim people should wear hijabs though. when people of other religions do it, it's pretty appropriative. it's like taking an item for fashion purposes and removing all meaning from it. same way someone who wears a pentacle but thinks it's a sign of satan instead of a symbol of protection. if you're not part of the religion, you're not going to apply the same meaning to it and it's kind of disrespectful

Comment

Originally posted by owlsandtigers View Post
            there are a lot of meanings to a hijab. for some, it means modesty. for others, it's a sign of their faith. the same way that a christian might wear a cross, or a wiccan might wear a tripple moon necklace. so a muslim woman who chooses to wear a hijab is just as likely to dress however she wants as a woman who wears a cross. hijab doesn't dictate dress, personality, or anything else.

I feel like only muslim people should wear hijabs though. when people of other religions do it, it's pretty appropriative. it's like taking an item for fashion purposes and removing all meaning from it. same way someone who wears a pentacle but thinks it's a sign of satan instead of a symbol of protection. if you're not part of the religion, you're not going to apply the same meaning to it and it's kind of disrespectful
            Actually, World Hijab Day is for any woman, Muslim or non-Muslim. It says so on the World Hijab Day page. When I was thinking about covering my hair full-time, I asked my Muslim friends and Muslim women online and they all said it is fine, just don't wear the headscarf with short shorts or anything really revealing.

So the days I would like to wear shorts or a dress for a party, I of course do not wear the scarf.

Comment

.. I feel like only muslim people should wear hijabs though. when people of other religions do it, it's pretty appropriative. it's like taking an item for fashion purposes and removing all meaning from it. same way someone who wears a pentacle but thinks it's a sign of satan instead of a symbol of protection. if you're not part of the religion, you're not going to apply the same meaning to it and it's kind of disrespectful
              Totally off topic but if the hijab should only be worn by Muslim women then shouldn't that by default apply to anything that comes from another culture? It's like your descriptor says White Witch and follower of Athena yet what items do you wear that are reflective of that belief but culturally belong to someone else? Especially items that held or hold a spiritual / religious significance in their respective cultures that can not be passed outside those culture's without loosing something in the translation.

As far as the Hijab and its cultural meaning it seem's correct to wear it as one would be expected to wear it if in one of those countries though they are not Muslim. Given in this instance it also seems to be suggested to show support it seems correct to do so. Granted being male I don't see myself doing so but that does not mean I do not support the purpose behind it.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                Totally off topic but if the hijab should only be worn by Muslim women then shouldn't that by default apply to anything that comes from another culture? It's like your descriptor says White Witch and follower of Athena yet what items do you wear that are reflective of that belief but culturally belong to someone else? Especially items that held or hold a spiritual / religious significance in their respective cultures that can not be passed outside those culture's without loosing something in the translation.

As far as the Hijab and its cultural meaning it seem's correct to wear it as one would be expected to wear it if in one of those countries though they are not Muslim. Given in this instance it also seems to be suggested to show support it seems correct to do so. Granted being male I don't see myself doing so but that does not mean I do not support the purpose behind it.
                I also try and avoid cultural appropriation. any aspects of a faith I incorprate in my beliefs I research, study, and make sure I'm doing respectfully. I do not wear any signifiers of my faith, other than a simple necklace I made myself that does not appear to have any religious connotations unless yo uknow the meaning behind its sections. while there is a certain amount of information lost in translation of anything over time, such as practices and beliefs, there is a difference between, say, following a greek goddess and having one or two symbols of her on my alter so that I can better commune with her, and wearing something that I do not have religious attachment to despite the fact that it has vast religious and cultural meaning.

Comment

I also try and avoid cultural appropriation. any aspects of a faith I incorprate in my beliefs I research, study, and make sure I'm doing respectfully. I do not wear any signifiers of my faith, other than a simple necklace I made myself that does not appear to have any religious connotations unless yo uknow the meaning behind its sections. while there is a certain amount of information lost in translation of anything over time, such as practices and beliefs, there is a difference between, say, following a greek goddess and having one or two symbols of her on my alter so that I can better commune with her, and wearing something that I do not have religious attachment to despite the fact that it has vast religious and cultural meaning.
                  I can respect that. I do tend to think many times usage also hangs upon whether one has been to a place or lived within the culture where the spiritual / religious maybe lost upon the observer. It's like I lived in Japan for 6.5 years so have some of their cultural practices I picked up from living there that have some religious / spiritual (Shinto specifically) meaning. It's like Foo Dogs, I have them in my home with them facing one another as they should be. Yet while I know the dogs represent the visible shortness of ones life in the Buddhist faith per the temples I visited I still remind myself of that. Yet to most they are simple decorations like Tori gates are in many things.

Cultural appropriation gets really iffy at times. What makes it so difficult at times in my opinion is that many times the culture itself "Sells" off its own symbology as something other than what it means on so many levels. Being in the military for 23 years and stationed in Asia and Europe / Med region I saw that a lot as those things were the visible imagery of a culture. I recall pulling into Rhodes and seeing so many images of the Colossus of Rhodes for sell that the cultural meaning was lost for the tourist dollars.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm doing it. To show my support. It's a form of being modest. Something that is NOT attributed to Muslims only. Ever wonder why Roman Catholics wear veils in church or Jewish women wear wigs? I didn't mean to start a debate. Just something I wanted to do for my Muslimah friends to show support.

Comment

Count me in. I have a lot of respect for women who wear the hijab. During Ramadan a few years ago, a Muslim friend taught me a lot about what it means to be a hijabi and clarified a lot of confusing issues and misunderstandings I had at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        I'm doing it. To show my support. It's a form of being modest. Something that is NOT attributed to Muslims only. Ever wonder why Roman Catholics wear veils in church or Jewish women wear wigs? I didn't mean to start a debate. Just something I wanted to do for my Muslimah friends to show support.

That's my fault (the debate)...it was just an idle thought, when I saw the video... The school the kids go to has a very diverse (ethnically, religiously, and nationality-wise) since there's a sizable military and international military presence in the area. We have a group of Muslim moms, some of which wear the hijab, and some that do not...and all of them look at the two moms that show up looking like they are heading to the club, but with a head covering, with more than a bit of exasperation. There's a little boy in Sharkbait's class whose mom wears a niqab...which seems smart in January, but looks miserable in September.

I think if someone's going to do it, they should do it right.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          That's my fault (the debate)...it was just an idle thought, when I saw the video... The school the kids go to has a very diverse (ethnically, religiously, and nationality-wise) since there's a sizable military and international military presence in the area. We have a group of Muslim moms, some of which wear the hijab, and some that do not...and all of them look at the two moms that show up looking like they are heading to the club, but with a head covering, with more than a bit of exasperation. There's a little boy in Sharkbait's class whose mom wears a niqab...which seems smart in January, but looks miserable in September.

I think if someone's going to do it, they should do it right.
                          Don't worry. They will probably get stoned eventually.

/being naughty

Comment

I didn't mean to debate either. I just wouldn't do it, since honestly my hair is like half my damn persona. But those scarves can be super pretty. So hey, why not?

Comment

Working...
                            X