Making Brooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Brooms

Last year, I made a couple of brushes at a class at the Farmer's Market, and this year, I've taken two classes on how to make a cobwebber and the hearth broom. I'm obviously still a beginner - I've been taught the general idea of how to make several brooms, but I'm not well-educated about how to make them professionally or anything like that. But it's something I'm becoming more and more interested in! I will have to post better photos than these, which were taken with a very basic phone and without the slightest effort, but here's the general idea of what I've made so far:

This is the cobwebber. I needed more tension on the weaving for sure, and that alone would have made a lot of improvement, but I really like the style so I still love it!

This is the hearth broom I made today - it's longer than it really should be, but I couldn't decide what I was going to use it for and decided to leave it long for now. This is the first time I used a vice, and the second attempt at sewing, which I am TERRIBLE at. I can wrap and weave those stalks all day long, but every time he tries to show me how to do the sewing, it's like he's speaking another language.

Since I'll have a baby sometime between now and Wednesday, I don't suppose I'll be able to make it to the next class Saturday, when I was planning to take another shot at the cobwebber.

Anyone else have an interest in broom making? Anyone have any suggestions for educational resources? Like I said, I'm really new to this!

Re: Making Brooms

Since I'm on my droid, I don't know how well this'll work but...

broomstick+broom+besom+.jpg

That's similar to the brooms we had hanging over our door, and in the kitchen, if one adds leaves to the joining area, at the bottom of the handle. And it's of the decorative type I'd like to make, and possibly sell.

Does that count?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
    X