X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Forum's Ultimate Book List

Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for Success by Frater U.D
    ---------
    It's a pretty informative book. Good for reference.
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Lessons in Palmistry: Studies of The Eye and Planetary Influences by Cornelia Ten Eyck Gaffney
      ------------
      This is an excellent stand-alone read. It's hard to come by due to it's year (1897), but there are PDFs available of it online.
      "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

I have just discovered THE VERY BEST INTRODUCTORY PAGAN BOOK EVER.

It is comprehenisve, it is accurate (in a general sort of way), it is HISTORICALLY ACCURATE, it is intellectually honest, and its well organized.

Introduction to Pagan Studies
        by Barbara Jane Davy

This is totally my new go-to newbie or "what is paganism again" book. I'm going to buy a copy of this for every military chaplain's office in the Navy.

(btw, you can preview a good chunk of it on google)

ETA: Can you tell I'm really excited about this? I feel like jumping up and down and shouting "AT LAST, AT LAST!!!" But my coworkers would look at me funny.
        Last edited by thalassa; 01 Jul 2015, 06:11.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Books on the philosophy of paganism

Steven Dillon. The Case for Polytheism.Contents: What is a god, Is there a god, How many gods are there, Are the gods good, Unanswered questions.

John Michael Greer. A World full of Gods.
          Contents: The one and the many, How do we know about the Gods, Arguments for theism, Arguments against theism, Religious experience, The logic of polytheism, What do we know about the gods, Polytheist worship, Polytheist spirituality, Polytheist ethics, Myth and its meanings, Time and eschatology, Changing of the gods.

Something on ethics

Rosalind Hursthouse. On Virtue Ethics.
          This is by a professional philosopher, but accessible to the general reader. Virtue ethics was the commonest theory in Greece and China, and is increasingly accepted in modern philosophy. If you feel that the rede is not enough and don't believe in gods who say "thou shalt not", this is worth looking into.

Comment

Walking with the Gods: Modern people talk about deities, faith, and recreating ancient traditions / W. D. Wilkerson.

Wendi Wilkerson is a professional ethnographer and a practitioner of Vudu. She interviewed 120 people, collected via the web, on their religion and here we get the interviews with 24 of them, chosen as particularly interesting. Their practices vary, her only requirement being that they should be real polytheists: not monists, dualists, or worshipers of their own mental archetypes.

Some are well known, like Tess Dawson and P. Sufenas Virius Lupus, others anonymous. The results range from the profound to the entertaining. Laura, a Santeria devotee, got adopted by Loki: I loved the account of his detailed instructions to her on crocheting a woolly hat to wear during worship! I was also touched by Lupus's desire to remember British gods who've been forgotten after being famous in Antiquity: "Everybody knows Apollo ... nobody ever goes, 'Oh yeah! Good old Cocidius!'"

Comment

*bump*

I need a good book recommendation. The problem with being pagan for over 20 years, is that...all the books are 101. All of them.

A friend lent me Witch, by Lisa Lister, and I'm returning it two chapters in, because it's a bunch of transphobic written-for-instagram garbage.

Does anyone have any good book recommendations for a pagan-flavoured book, that doesn't teach me about all the paths, or explain how to draw a circle?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                *bump*

I need a good book recommendation. The problem with being pagan for over 20 years, is that...all the books are 101. All of them.

A friend lent me Witch, by Lisa Lister, and I'm returning it two chapters in, because it's a bunch of transphobic written-for-instagram garbage.

Does anyone have any good book recommendations for a pagan-flavoured book, that doesn't teach me about all the paths, or explain how to draw a circle?
                Comes a time when the scholar has to burn the books, and go on alone.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

*bump*

Sadly I haven't come across any of those... like you said they are basically all beginner books with the same information.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

*bump*

I really enjoy Penczaks Temple series. The first couple books are very 101, but I felt like I was encountering new info once I hit the Shamanic Temple book.

That said, I've been going toward source material the last few years. I started with listening to Damh the Bard's Mabinogi series (he just released thre third branch). Then I listened to another version of ther Mabinogion. Now I'm listening to the Edda Prose (just got the audiobook today).

And, all of that said, I think you reach a point where you've covered the fundamental knowledge you can get from books and the rest becomes much more philosophical. And some experiences are really hard to have alone and impossible to get from a book (like PSGs Sacred Hunt that has Hunters, Drummers, and Villagers). At that point you just have to dig into the experience.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Hello! Perhaps writing your own "advanced" book?

Comment

The Horned Altar by Tess Dawson.
                        I would have never known about Canaanite Gods until I read this book. Very good introduction and also very good information.

Hittite Myths (second edition) by Harry A. Hoffner, Jr.
                        Scholarly translations of ancient texts of the Hittite myths.

For both, it's worth knowing about lesser known pantheons.

I also recommend Persian Myths by Vesta Sarkhosh Curtis. Includes both ancient myths and stories from Zoroastrian religion. Also scholarly translations.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't think I clarified what I was thinking very well. I'm not interested in instructional books, or 'advanced magic' - I was more thinking along the lines of the prose Edda, as Shahaku suggested. Or environmental activism. Or non-fictional memoirs, or fictional books, or scholarly history articles. Things which are not exactly pagan (or are), but which deepen your understanding and appreciation for the world, other religions, other cultures, nature, etc.

I didn't know Damh the Bard was still doing stuff. I'll check that out!

Mostly art.

Comment

All the books I listed helped me learn and understand ancient Middle Eastern Gods & myths. Never knew about them beforehand. Very moving.

Comment

I have wrote a 23,000 word true story,it details a very powerful coven from the late 1950,s,i was a child then and met the high priestess under bad circumstances.My book tells the life of a woman that migrated from England to America,bought land and built a lake and island and two story covenstead.My book describes the initions,sabbaths,use of summoning table on island,circle casting with hot cauldron broth.As soon as moderator will allow me i will post the name.

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
                                I have wrote a 23,000 word true story,it details a very powerful coven from the late 1950,s,i was a child then and met the high priestess under bad circumstances.My book tells the life of a woman that migrated from England to America,bought land and built a lake and island and two story covenstead.My book describes the initions,sabbaths,use of summoning table on island,circle casting with hot cauldron broth.As soon as moderator will allow me i will post the name.
                                We don't allow a new person to market their products, because it comes off as phishing, and that's not what this forum is about. Once you've introduced yourself in the Introductions forum, and contributed to the community as a whole (by posting non-spam content), then we have a section called Plugs that we allow you to post to. Links are not allowed until you've made 15 posts.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X