Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pagan Forum's Ultimate Book List

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan

Re: Pagan Forum's Ultimate Book List

I don't think anyone's mentioned Rae Beth yet - her book Hedgewitch was one of the books that got me started, and is clear and easy to follow. I also second the mention of Ronald Hutton - just about anything he's written is worth reading (though he's also written books on the English Civil War which are not about paganism).

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    once Thal posts with her massive book list

lol...I need to update that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Evaine View Post
    I don't think anyone's mentioned Rae Beth yet - her book Hedgewitch was one of the books that got me started, and is clear and easy to follow. I also second the mention of Ronald Hutton - just about anything he's written is worth reading (though he's also written books on the English Civil War which are not about paganism).

Probably because there are some people on here that have issues with that book. Its not a bad book, per se...but I wouldn't call it a book about how to be a hedgewitch.

I'm pretty sure that someone will eventually mention Ann Moura too...and its not that her books are necessarily bad (they aren't my cup of tea), but its not really what I consider being a "green witch" either...but now that she's turned it into Green Witch™ it sort of sucks for everyone else that had a path that they considered eco-centered witchcraft that called it by the same name.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2006
    Religion
    Hedge Pantheism
    Phrase
    Whatever satisfies the soul is the truth

Oh don't even get me started on the hedge witch books. I don't even use the term in casual conversation with other pagans because they all think I'm a kitchen witch then. Meh.

Not that there's anything wrong with kitchen witchery but it is not the same. Entire other discussion.
    Last edited by Rowanwood; 02 Feb 2014 at 18:07.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Pagan
    Phrase
    "Remember that paganism is a path of experience, not of dogma."

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    You listed two of my favorites V. "Drawing Down The Moon" by Margot Adler and my first book on Wicca "A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. I also liked "Living Wicca" A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner also by Scott Cunningham. I also like "Grimoire for the Green Witch" by Ann Moura. I know this type of book listing is subjective to ones personal likes and dislikes and there are few perfect books in the world. I do enjoy seeing what other people read and checking those books out. Thanks for bring this thread back to life V.
    I mentioned Ann Moura early in the post and like most of my books I use it as a reference source and not the final word by any means. I like to read from different authors and amend what I find feels right to me and cast off that which leaves a bad taste in my head. Not everyone likes or agrees on all things and this goes doubly with books and authors of resource(As I consider most books on Pagan/Wicca) materials. Especially ones who come across as having the final word on the subject(read ultimate expert.)combined with the attitude of you have to do it this way or your wasting your time. I do like authors like our own Tylluan Penry's whose book "Seeking the Green" and Carl McColman's book"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism. Because they are just that "guides" and both offer information with basic concepts on the topics covered in them. They also promote further exploration on the readers part along with encouraging finding what is right for you without the attitude of because I said it and that's the way it is.

I hope I don't sound pissed because I'm not, I just tend to come off sounding that way.
    Last edited by Monk; 03 Feb 2014 at 07:09.
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    pagan ,Celtic influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    " and Carl McColman's book"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism. Because they are just that "guides" and both offer information with basic concepts on the topics covered in them. They also promote further exploration on the readers part along with encouraging finding what is right for you without the attitude of because I said it and that's the way it is.
    this is good book. it will definitely give a basics of the major aspects of the more popular paths of Paganism. so I would definitely second it.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Aug 2014
    Religion
    pagan i dont care for labels or titles

can we sticky this?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by loststarshine View Post
    can we sticky this?

sure!

(PS I updated my book list a little bit)
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Aug 2014
    Religion
    pagan i dont care for labels or titles

. thank you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Dang it, Thal, I just got done reading through that list this morning to take some titles down to the library... Now I have to do it again?!
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Shinto
    Phrase
    That being said...

Kami No Michi: The Way of the Kami: The Life and Thought of a Shinto Priest by Yukitaka Yamamoto

The book is written by the Guji (High Priest) of the Tsubaki Grand Shrine, Yukitaka Yamamoto, who is the 96th Guji to serve the shrine from the Yamamoto family consecutively. Its a pretty short book at 126 pages, but I found it to be a very good read and very interesting and informative. It is essentially part autobiography and part a book about the Shinto religion. There is actually an online copy of the book which is made available for free by the Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America, which is the chapter of the Tsubaki Grand Shrine in the States.

Here's the link to that copy of the book.