Goddess Christians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goddess Christians

Are there any Christian-esque folk here who also worship the Goddess/Goddesses?

And by Christian-esque, I mean those who honor Jesus in whatever way is meaningful to them?

On the days I'm feeling Trinitarian, I worship Godde as The Source beyond gender, encompassing and transcending all gender, Jesus as the God, Sophia/Shekinah/Ruach q'adesh as the Goddess. For me, gender is more complicated than male or female so...but, lately, I need some Divine Feminine in my life. Lol.

Anyway, if you honor a Goddess, which one/s?

Re: Goddess Christians

Well, I'm a Christian of a fairly regular variety, and I worship God as a being that is both male female and other who encompasses all of the different aspects of the names of God (and more we are unaware of).
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Unakite5 View Post

Anyway, if you honor a Goddess, which one/s?
      Mary - the Mother Goddess.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
        Well, I'm a Christian of a fairly regular variety, and I worship God as a being that is both male female and other who encompasses all of the different aspects of the names of God (and more we are unaware of).
        Me too.

Sometimes I think of the Holy Spirit as the more feminine aspect of God, but usually I tend not to think in terms of gender.

- - - Updated - - -

Though out of all the goddesses I've learned about so far, I like the sound of Airmed the most. I have a herb garden and I'm thinking of putting something there as a tribute to her persona. The other one I like is Cerridwen. I like the mystery about things that are a little on the dark side.

Comment

Hmmm, I think Christian-esque is a semantic impossibility. Sort of like asking if there are any 4 sided triangles. As far as gender is concerned, that doesn't fall into the realm of Christendom but rather into the broader theological scope. As far as I can tell, God has always manifested physically in a non human (and non gender specific) form.

It has been inferred that God is male through his repeated referral to Israel as being his wife and he is her husband. Also that Adam was created in his image, and Adam was male.

I don't really know how God might take you worshipping him in a genderless way. Maybe you'll get to find out one day...

Comment

It has been inferred that God is male through his repeated referral to Israel as being his wife and he is her husband. Also that Adam was created in his image, and Adam was male.
            Scriptural excerpts like that should probably be viewed within the context of attitudes towards gender at the time of their writing.

Comment

Originally posted by DON View Post
              Hmmm, I think Christian-esque is a semantic impossibility. Sort of like asking if there are any 4 sided triangles. As far as gender is concerned, that doesn't fall into the realm of Christendom but rather into the broader theological scope. As far as I can tell, God has always manifested physically in a non human (and non gender specific) form.

I don't really know how God might take you worshipping him in a genderless way. Maybe you'll get to find out one day...
              Being that God is referred to at different points using masculine, feminine, and neuter terms at different points in the Bible, I think YHWH would be pretty cool with it. Why else would YHWH lets itself be called that way in its own book?

It also says YHYH created people in its own image, "male and female he created them" so... God's own image needs to encompass both. Also remember Adam is refereed to in Gender Neutral terms before he is split and Eve is made.

God is great and big and huge and larger than any small box we can try to put her in. He is not just one thing, but so many. Vaster than a galaxy and softer than a hummingbird. It is a God of any kind of person, male, female, and those who are neither.
              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                Being that God is referred to at different points using masculine, feminine, and neuter terms at different points in the Bible, I think YHWH would be pretty cool with it. Why else would YHWH lets itself be called that way in its own book?

It also says YHYH created people in its own image, "male and female he created them" so... God's own image needs to encompass both. Also remember Adam is refereed to in Gender Neutral terms before he is split and Eve is made.

God is great and big and huge and larger than any small box we can try to put her in. He is not just one thing, but so many. Vaster than a galaxy and softer than a hummingbird. It is a God of any kind of person, male, female, and those who are neither.
                God is always referred to in the masculine sense, but that doesn't mean he is male anymore than a ship is always referred to in the feminine meaning a ship is female. God is a spirit being, as well as the angels or other spirit creatures. They have no literal gender, no sexual organs, so are neither male nor female. Woman, as well as man, were made in the image of God, s you rightfully pointed out. The dispute about whether the God of the Bible is a male or female is, in my opinion, a product of petty vanity. More of our ego than anything else.

I would like to see some scriptural references on God being termed in the feminine or neuter terms in the Bible, and then explore those possible applications, because I seriously doubt that is the case, though it wouldn't establish literal gender anyway. Of course, obviously in the case of neuter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathway Machine View Post
                  God is always referred to in the masculine sense, but that doesn't mean he is male anymore than a ship is always referred to in the feminine meaning a ship is female. God is a spirit being, as well as the angels or other spirit creatures. They have no literal gender, no sexual organs, so are neither male nor female. Woman, as well as man, were made in the image of God, s you rightfully pointed out. The dispute about whether the God of the Bible is a male or female is, in my opinion, a product of petty vanity. More of our ego than anything else.

I would like to see some scriptural references on God being termed in the feminine or neuter terms in the Bible, and then explore those possible applications, because I seriously doubt that is the case, though it wouldn't establish literal gender anyway. Of course, obviously in the case of neuter.
                  Agreed. God is almost always referred to as male, and I've read somewhere that when the attributes he is ascribed are feminine (such as spirit and wisdom), they are accompanied with a male verb. Citation needed. However, I think this has a bit more to do with the Hebrew language than the actual gender of God. I'm pretty sure that in the French language, objects are given a gender biased pronoun because there's no neuter word like 'it.' I'm pretty sure this is the case with the Hebrew language as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                    Agreed. God is almost always referred to as male, and I've read somewhere that when the attributes he is ascribed are feminine (such as spirit and wisdom), they are accompanied with a male verb. Citation needed. However, I think this has a bit more to do with the Hebrew language than the actual gender of God. I'm pretty sure that in the French language, objects are given a gender biased pronoun because there's no neuter word like 'it.' I'm pretty sure this is the case with the Hebrew language as well.
                    Yeah, the ancient Hebrew assigned gender to nouns as many other languages do. The word for wisdom is always in the feminine gender. The Greek word love is in the feminine gender. God is love (1 John 4:8) but that doesn't mean God is female, for example. The word qoheleth (congregator) is also feminine and Solomon applied it to himself at Ecclesiastes 1:1.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathway Machine View Post
                      The Greek word love is in the feminine gender.
                      There are something like 7 words for love in Greek, and they aren't all feminine.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

There is a book called "The Bible As It Was" that delves into all sorts of various things that have been lost, mistranslated, and intentionally removed from the Bible, specifically the Old Testament. In there, there is reference to the passage "and we shall make man in our image" and how in Hebrew there is no usage of the royal "we", and thus it was meant in the plural. From there, it is pointed out that earlier there was mention of how God separated from himself his Wisdom (with the capital W), and Wisdom is refered to as "she" and in the feminine. The concept that Judaism and Christianity are actually duotheistic is pretty common, especially amongst Christian witches who use the God and Goddess approach, sort of like Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                        X