This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afterlife in a flexible belief system

So I know we've had some discussion on here along the lines of where the various gods and goddesses come from. And I know that some of the folks on here believe that the gods and goddesses come to be and gain their power according to the people who believe in them. That their existence is based on the faith people have in them, essentially.

So for those who follow this line of thought, how does the afterlife fit in for you? Does it come and go based on belief as well based on the faith of the people? Does the afterlife you have change based on what you believe? What happens to all the souls in that particular afterlife if it ceases to exist due to lack of belief?

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I tend to do that, but I am curious how you all would answer these questions.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Afterlife in a flexible belief system

I kind of think that all Gods exist, even if they haven't been thought of yet; I think that what happens is that when people believe/have faith in a certain God, then it becomes easier for others to reach that God because someone else has already beaten down the path. If no one uses the path and it becomes over grown and wild again, the God is still there, you just don't know how to reach him anymore.

In regards to the afterlife, I think we make our own, so I think it depends on what our personal beliefs are. Actually, I think the afterlife is probably closer to dreams then anything else, or perhaps something like that movie, "What Dreams May Come" where everyone has their own personal heavens and then there's places where people share the same dream and are more communal heavens. Although, I doubt we're as conscious and as in control as in that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      So I know we've had some discussion on here along the lines of where the various gods and goddesses come from. And I know that some of the folks on here believe that the gods and goddesses come to be and gain their power according to the people who believe in them. That their existence is based on the faith people have in them, essentially.
      This is not what I believe so I probably shouldn't be answering seeing as the question is directed at people who believe this. It'll just be a really quick answer, I promise!

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      So for those who follow this line of thought, how does the afterlife fit in for you? Does it come and go based on belief as well based on the faith of the people? Does the afterlife you have change based on what you believe? What happens to all the souls in that particular afterlife if it ceases to exist due to lack of belief?
      In my beliefs, the dead have options. There are multiple things that can happen to you after you die, depending on your beliefs, preferences, the way you died and who you are allied with.

That's all I'll say, 'cos the details aren't relevant to the question that was asked. I'll butt out now. lol

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
        I kind of think that all Gods exist, even if they haven't been thought of yet; I think that what happens is that when people believe/have faith in a certain God, then it becomes easier for others to reach that God because someone else has already beaten down the path. If no one uses the path and it becomes over grown and wild again, the God is still there, you just don't know how to reach him anymore.

In regards to the afterlife, I think we make our own, so I think it depends on what our personal beliefs are. Actually, I think the afterlife is probably closer to dreams then anything else, or perhaps something like that movie, "What Dreams May Come" where everyone has their own personal heavens and then there's places where people share the same dream and are more communal heavens. Although, I doubt we're as conscious and as in control as in that movie.
        Basically, this. ^

Comment

I believe that everything is divine in some way, and all prayers condense in the spirit realm.

I don't really think there is an afterlife, maybe when we die we become disembodied spirits and depending on the kind of person we are, go to be in union with our deities, maybe we reincarnate, maybe there's a huge city of the dead in the spirit realm like Christianity and Spiritualism say. I really don't know, but I think the most likely thing is a cessation of all consciousness on death, I really hope not, though.

Comment

Working...
          X