This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

satanic cult killings alleged

I know I am not the only person to read about or hear about the craigslist killer now claiming over 20 victims as part of a satanic cult. If there is a thread about the story I didn't see it. I've been trying to decide how much of what the woman says is made up in her head and how much might have some truth to it.

Police and press scramble after murder suspect Miranda Barbour tells reporter Francis Scarcella she’s a serial killer.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Re: satanic cult killings alleged

I just read an article about that a little while ago, and that was the same wonder that wandered into my head - is it for real, or is it crazy talk, or some kind of ploy...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Sounds like she's just a bit of a nutter. They're scattered all over the globe. I doubt that the number of victims is as high as what's being claimed.

Comment

But what's to stop someone from forming a group and then calling it "Satanism" even if it's not founded on the principles we (as pagans) know Satanism to represent? After all, people call themselves "Jesus" all the time and stand up and call themselves Christians (even though this is obviously blasphemy from a Christian standpoint).

If someone has done that, then why wouldn't one of their followers call themselves "Satanist" if that's what they've been told Satanism is?

Not sure if that makes any sense. What I'm saying is that while it's clear she's a "nutter" as Torey says, one cannot rule out the possibility that she believes herself to be a Satanist based on what she's been taught of Satanism -- even if those teachings are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
          But what's to stop someone from forming a group and then calling it "Satanism" even if it's not founded on the principles we (as pagans) know Satanism to represent? After all, people call themselves "Jesus" all the time and stand up and call themselves Christians (even though this is obviously blasphemy from a Christian standpoint).

If someone has done that, then why wouldn't one of their followers call themselves "Satanist" if that's what they've been told Satanism is?

Not sure if that makes any sense. What I'm saying is that while it's clear she's a "nutter" as Torey says, one cannot rule out the possibility that she believes herself to be a Satanist based on what she's been taught of Satanism -- even if those teachings are wrong.
          Yes, that's a valid point and if she "is" truly associated with these so-called "Satanic cult" killings, then it is likely that is the case. Within some actual Satanic circles, these "Satanic" practitioners (usually the kooks) are referred to as "pseudo-Satanists" or just "devil worshipers" to differentiate us from them. Unfortunately, the general public doesn't care what "real Satanism" is - they love shock and the sensation that "Satanic cult killings", as a headline, attracts.

Comment

Definitions will always be the problem. Satanic groups existed before the modern LaVey, Temple of Set type groups. Who owns the term will always be debatable. Most Pagans seem to understand the modern meaning but what about the other side. We still have to deal with older existing groups who laugh at the modern definitions of Satanism.

For some satanism is the true anti-god, anti-good, pure evil do what you will belief. This draws all these kooks because they are intoxicated by a true no rules sadistic cruelty. We can say its not "real" satanism but for them it is more real than our definition.

Modern satanism is full of personal power and is an amazing path to overcome the things in life that hold you back. Once you meet those older, void of all humanity, people that will gladly tell you that satanism is not what you think it, makes you think.

Since 1989 I have have been a drummer (off and on again) in a death metal band and met some of these people that believed the words to the songs and loved to show you pics and videos of how they "practice" their religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Historyforall
              Definitions will always be the problem. Satanic groups existed before the modern LaVey, Temple of Set type groups. Who owns the term will always be debatable. Most Pagans seem to understand the modern meaning but what about the other side. We still have to deal with older existing groups who laugh at the modern definitions of Satanism.

For some satanism is the true anti-god, anti-good, pure evil do what you will belief. This draws all these kooks because they are intoxicated by a true no rules sadistic cruelty. We can say its not "real" satanism but for them it is more real than our definition.

Modern satanism is full of personal power and is an amazing path to overcome the things in life that hold you back. Once you meet those older, void of all humanity, people that will gladly tell you that satanism is not what you think it, makes you think.

Since 1989 I have have been a drummer (off and on again) in a death metal band and met some of these people that believed the words to the songs and loved to show you pics and videos of how they "practice" their religion.

Comment

I didn't get my monthly Satanist Now magazine. I missed the article on Satanic Killings making a comeback from the 80s. I'm so behind on my reading apparently.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

It was on page three right after the "How to Sacrifice a Cat" article.

Comment

I believe there are evil Satanists like bad Christians and Muslims but I think what somewhat separates them is that the evil Satanists, at least from what I've noticed, relish in evil and are fully aware that they are committing evil while the Christians and Muslims or other religious people who do evil things, honestly believe what they are doing is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                      I believe there are evil Satanists like bad Christians and Muslims but I think what somewhat separates them is that the evil Satanists, at least from what I've noticed, relish in evil and are fully aware that they are committing evil while the Christians and Muslims or other religious people who do evil things, honestly believe what they are doing is good.
                      The majority of Satanists (and Pagans for that matter) don't really have any interest in the concept of evil and treat it as a purely relative and society based construct or just ignore it entirely. Agreeing with this is point of view isn't necessary but failing to acknowledge basic points in their philosophy makes understanding them properly difficult at best and tends to lead you to innacurate conclusions. It's also useful to note that your average human being is unlikely to see a lot of value in looking at themselves as the villain in life. The amusement of that normally wears off by the time one hits 25.

Comment

Okay, I'm just really confused.

Comment

Majority might be inacurate. Most satanist that you meet out and about will be great and decent people. But majority of satanist is something we will never really know.

There will always be the modern interpretation of satanism vs an underlying more hidde concept.

Comment

I am a Satanist, and I approve of this killing.

Lol just kidding... Really, just kidding.

I think that the difference between devil-worshipers, LaVeyan Satanists and Theistic ones is just one of those misconceptions that will not leave the general media-influenced mindset of the majorities until the media itself that feeds them more detailed nuances and information. Of course this would mean potentially sacrificing the "shock" of their headlines, diminishing their popularity. It's just something that has to be agreed upon by all the media sources, which of course, will probably not happen.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Well, if LeVey hadn't intentionally picked a provocative & adversarial name for his made up religion, LeVeyan Satanists wouldn't have this problem.

I feel the same way when Wiccans complain about images of witches at Halloween, btw.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X