This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To celebrate mother river

The river that has brought life to this city is free of the icing grip of the winter cold, and i want to celebrate her freedom. I am, by all means, solitair in this, and quiet the minimalist when it comes to my ritual practices, but i'd like to do Something at least.

Anyone want to share, or teach, or suggest a fitting way to cherish her, or just want to add some thought to the situation?

Re: To celebrate mother river

Which river? Because...that makes a difference. Also, where on the river matters. I grew up right off the Mississippi, right in the middle of it (length wise), and its personality there is much different from down by New Orleans or up near Lake Itaska where it starts.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Comment

Then...what actions can you practically do for the river? Are there any organizations that do clean ups? Opportunities for citizen science? Do you live somewhere in the watershed where you could plant a rain garden or garden to benefit local wildlife? These sorts of practical actions are often well recieved as an active devotion by one's genius loci.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

There is actually a local groups that work with cleaning up the nature in and around the city. I'll contact them and go from there. Thanks

Comment

I agree that the most profound offerings to landvaettir, rivervaettir and other genus loci are usually centered around clean up, conservation or rehabilitation of related land and geographical features. Riverwights who are closely linked with cities can be particularly appreciative of work that aims to reduce pollution and increase awareness of water catchments and the interactions between the different aspects and species of their particular system. Looking to the health of animal and plant species who are endemic to that river system is also a good idea, particularly because many of these are threatened or endangered and are important to the health of the river itself. Even relatively simple things like considering the environment of your own backyard are often overlooked... and I don't mean cleaning up your yard or pulling weeds... I mean ensuring that you are planting native species, that your yard is laid out in a way that utilities local weather patterns, that doesn't require too much extra maintenance and attracts native insects and birds. Granted, this is often more specific to landvaettir rather than rivervaettir, but it depends on how close to the river you are and what your local insect and frog populations are like.

Comment

Working...
            X