This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

False Gods

I hope I am putting this in the right forum. Forgive me if I am not. I probably should have posted this topic a couple of months ago. My family, as I might have told you, are Catholics. Around Christmas, my brother-in-law and I had a conversation about my religion and said I was worshiping a false god. My mother, who seems to be the only one who accepts the fact that I am Wiccan, told me that I was being over-dramatic when I told her about what he said. I respect their religion, I just feel that they are trying to change me back to Catholicism. They don't understand that I have a connection with Lord Anubis and he isn't a false god. Have any of you ever had an experience when someone called your personal deity a false god? Or am I being over-dramatic?
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: False Gods

I never had experience considering I'm still searching, but I never really understood what it meant by "false gods" Does that mean they are people pretending to be gods, or gods that lead you astray, to a false path, or what. Because Yahweh was part of a pantheon and even had a wife, but it eventually just went down to one god instead of many though.

Comment

This is an issue I keep coming back to as I figure out what to say when the time inevitably comes that my relatives (Lutherans and Catholics) learn of my religion. All I've come up with to counter this potential argument is to explain that I have had actual encounters with these gods. Unfortunately, that leads me to think of the next argument 'how are you sure they aren't demons tricking you?' Christians are very, very hard to talk with if all they do is go to church and take what is said to them as fact. Which, of course, is all my relatives. There are a couple I think I could talk to pretty openly about my paganism, but the rest would definitely default to the position that all gods besides Yahweh are false. To be honest, I'm actually more afraid that some of them would laugh if I told them which gods I honor. Especially the Norse gods. "But those are fictional characters!" is a very real possibility. I don't know how I'd handle that in actual conversation.

However, I don't mind if some run-of-the-mill Christian thinks my gods are false. Just like they have blind faith in their god, so too do they have blind ignorance of all the others. They don't do any thinking for themselves, they don't go out to have their own experience with Yahweh, they just go to church and claim his existence because the guy in the white robe or black suit told them so. I actually feel bad for people like this. But I don't think there's a fool-proof way to convince them our gods aren't false unless you do a debate tactic and ask them what experiences they've had that prove to them that their god exists.

Comment

See, this is why I don't tell my family about my religion. It sucks that you had to listen to that. You're not being over-dramatic. I'm not sure there's much you can do, though, other than not talk about your beliefs.
        Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
          See, this is why I don't tell my family about my religion. It sucks that you had to listen to that. You're not being over-dramatic. I'm not sure there's much you can do, though, other than not talk about your beliefs.
          Neither do I. It's the problem with many religions. Each think it is the only right one.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I always say if this religion teaches good morals and examples and leads to a healthier better life, then it is a true religion because it's leading you to the truthful righteous path and almost all religions teach that so I think almost all of them are right.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
              I hope I am putting this in the right forum. Forgive me if I am not. I probably should have posted this topic a couple of months ago. My family, as I might have told you, are Catholics. Around Christmas, my brother-in-law and I had a conversation about my religion and said I was worshiping a false god. My mother, who seems to be the only one who accepts the fact that I am Wiccan, told me that I was being over-dramatic when I told her about what he said. I respect their religion, I just feel that they are trying to change me back to Catholicism. They don't understand that I have a connection with Lord Anubis and he isn't a false god. Have any of you ever had an experience when someone called your personal deity a false god? Or am I being over-dramatic?
              I'm going to be different here and say perhaps you need to look deeper inside about your own beliefs and perspectives towards your god / goddess. If his saying you worship a false god and all that implies via dogma, ethics, morality, spirituality, religion causes you that much reflection and heartache then it suggests a deeper issue is at work. It seems to suggest you have deeper doubts of your own that you'd allow another's perspective of your god / goddesses to cause you to question your belief and faith in them. To question if they are in fact "False" by considering the ramifications of another's opinion of them. That you went to your mom to discuss it seems to support the weakness of your own beliefs as you sough support of your position and perspective on the surface.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
              I always say if this religion teaches good morals and examples and leads to a healthier better life, then it is a true religion because it's leading you to the truthful righteous path and almost all religions teach that so I think almost all of them are right.
              I strongly disagree with that. Morality and ethics are variables that change with time, location, situation and exterior influences. Even the notion of what is a righteous path and truth is subjective as the criteria is driven by many factors. Factors that support one perspective while alienating / resisting others yet each claims to be truthful and righteous.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                That you went to your mom to discuss it seems to support the weakness of your own beliefs as you sough support of your position and perspective on the surface.

You are assuming facts not in evidence about a member's state of mind and then responding to that assumption instead of the facts that actually are in evidence. It is one of your most persistently annoying traits. Stop. Ask questions. Find out whether people are actually thinking as they appear to be and then respond.

Yes it's possible that such a challenge could cause someone doubt. It's also possible that there is no doubt about her faith and the member in question is just annoyed as fuck about relatives attacking her belief systems and hoping that someone on this board has suggestions about how to make peace with her family.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I appreciate everyone's opinions and I still have a lot to think about with my brother-in-law. I don't know if he is trying to change me or get me to go back to Catholicism, but I know that I am firm in my faith. Thank you all for your opinions.
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

It's not a sign of weakness to ask for the perspective of a trusted elder.

I'm 55, and still ask my dad's opinion on certain things.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      It's not a sign of weakness to ask for the perspective of a trusted elder.

I'm 55, and still ask my dad's opinion on certain things.
                      I'm glad I am not the only one.
                      Anubisa

Comment

The core of Christianity is the belief in one and only one god. The worship of anything else is idolatry in their eyes. Of course they're going to tell you you're wrong.

Let them think what they will. I would just avoid the topic of religion altogether. It shouldn't get in the way of your relationship with your family.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa
                          Have any of you ever had an experience when someone called your personal deity a false god? Or am I being over-dramatic?
                          It doesn't affect me profoundly, because what they do or don't believe of my deities is irrelevant overall. Yes, it's offending when someone disrespects my deities or beliefs, but it doesn't threaten me at all nor does it cause me to question my own beliefs.

I don't believe that you're being over-dramatic. People will disagree with your beliefs or ideals in all aspects of life - not just religion, but politics, your stance on abortion, etc. You can try to change people's minds - but I don't see the point in it.

I agree with what has already been said - avoiding the topic of religion altogether is usually good advice, especially when you are the minority within a family that is otherwise largely composed of devout Christians.
                          Last edited by Torey; 27 Feb 2014, 19:55. Reason: quotation code error

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                            It doesn't affect me profoundly, because what they do or don't believe of my deities is irrelevant overall. Yes, it's offending when someone disrespects my deities or beliefs, but it doesn't threaten me at all nor does it cause me to question my own beliefs.

I don't believe that you're being over-dramatic. People will disagree with your beliefs or ideals in all aspects of life - not just religion, but politics, your stance on abortion, etc. You can try to change people's minds - but I don't see the point in it.

I agree with what has already been said - avoiding the topic of religion altogether is usually good advice, especially when you are the minority within a family that is otherwise largely composed of devout Christians.
                            I am familiar wit Anibisa's issue. When a classmate of mine heard that I don't worship the Jewish / Christian God, he began shouting: "Burn the sorcerer!"
                            I don't mind about what other people believe in, but nothing gives them the right to decide which deity is the right one, and which is not. What do you think?
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                              I don't mind about what other people believe in, but nothing gives them the right to decide which deity is the right one, and which is not. What do you think?
                              But they actually DO have the right to decide which deity is the right one and which is not - just as we all do.

It's what they do with their beliefs that is the issue.

I fully agree that shouting things like "burn the sorcerer" is dangerously inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                              X