about Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about Depression

I... suffer from bipolarity. I haven't been diagnosed, so perhaps i shouldn't use the term, but mmy mood tend to be instable.
    I want to be happy, and i'm really trying, but good lord it's difficult. I'd appreciate it if you guys could share some of your spiritual practices on how to deal with depressive feelings, or just getting out of the blue in general. Spells, rituals, prayer, etc.

Thanks, and blessed be.

Re: about Depression

Meditation, especially in a form that will allow you to dig up and process psychological issues buried in your subconscious.

You'd want to be careful though, with Bipolar you could easily trigger an episode, especially without the guidance of a teacher.

Comment

I mean... I think I know what Triggers me now days, like when I just go from reasonably happy to angry and depressed for seemingly no reason. Only, It's those days when you just wake up, and there isn't really something triggering it, it's just... There, you know?

But yeah, I'll meditate on it. Maybe meditating on a Tarot spread would help.

Comment

My advice, talk to a doctor. It helps me.

Comment

Don't put it off - the sooner you deal with it, the sooner you'll feel better.

See a doctor first - a GP, or MHP. See what he/she/they can tell you & offer you.

Then start up the meditation. You never go wrong with some form of mental hygiene.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I agree with Corbin, your first step should be to seek professional medical advice. They can screen you, give you a proper diagnosis, and from there get you the insights and techniques that can help you nip those low bouts.

Beyond that, give yourself the time to accept the validity of your feelings. Then at some point call a stop to it and do something to distract yourself for as long as you need to (movies, music, video games, hobbies, friends, etc...). But definitely meet with a professional first, they'll be able to give you good tools to help you out.

Comment

Aikadon using Bipolar if your not diagnosed is a bit disrespectful to those who actually have it, sort of calling yourself a cancer survivor even though you've never had cancer. Also violent moodswings can be symptoms of a great many things from mineral deficiency to Schitzophrenia, plus it is possible to be perfectly "normal" and still have very violent moodswings.
              Finally from what you describe it sounds more like depression since I see no mentions of mania, though you may just have left those bits out.

So all in all I'll second what have been said before. See a professional. Self-diagnosis is a really bad thing, particularly if you are dealing with something a serious as Bipolar Disorder.
              Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Aikadon View Post
                I mean... I think I know what Triggers me now days, like when I just go from reasonably happy to angry and depressed for seemingly no reason. Only, It's those days when you just wake up, and there isn't really something triggering it, it's just... There, you know?

But yeah, I'll meditate on it. Maybe meditating on a Tarot spread would help.
                Most people with depression and or bi polar think they are just 'moody'. And that's just the way they are with no further explanation. If you are having emotions that are 'without explanation or reason' that's a chemical misfire in your brain. All the meditation in the world will not correct that. You need to see a doctor to see if you have a medical condition. After that you can then form a plan as how to handle your depression.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                  Aikadon using Bipolar if your not diagnosed is a bit disrespectful to those who actually have it
                  I apologize for reckless use of the term, It was never my intention to insult or be disrespectful to anyone, and I didn't intend to claim that I had self-diagnosed myself, as I understand how lacking my competence is on the subject. I do not claim to be diagnosable with bipolarity, and by using the term I rather hoped to explain my subjective experience, rather than the definable diagnosis, which I realize was stupid, and again, I'm sorry.

As for the rest of this thread, I really appreciate all the support people have been coming with and all the good advice. I do take mental health seriously, and I will make sure to deal with my depression- and anxiety problems in a professional way, but besides that, I would still like some advice on what people do, spiritually, to get rid of sadness and depressive feelings. I know that this is possible, because I have found ways, like meditating on the Tarot, or praying. I apologize if I made it sound as if though I was asking for medical advice, or sought to be healed through my religion, as that was, again, not the intention of this rather clumsy starting post.

Again, thank you all, and I'm sorry for whatever hard feelings there may be.

Comment

Aikadon it's okay . I'm sorry if I came across a bit harsh but it's a bit of a thing for me like people using the word schitzophrenic in erroneous ways. It makes me pop up like a Jack-in-the-box.

About your question. When I feel sad or low I go for a walk in the woods if at all possible or go hug a tree, literally, in my garden. If it's the time of year where the ground isn't frozen I garden, I find that working with living things stabilises my mood. Or pet my cat. In fact when I am in a really, really bad state, he tends to climb up on me and head-butt me until I start petting him and he won't get off me until I feel better. In fact, if I try to get up and move away without petting him he digs his claws into my clothes and hangs on. I've once tried to walk to the kitchen with 10 lb. of cat clinging to my shirt :XD:, I had to give up halfway and sit down and pet him.
                    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

When I am sad I just pet our cat for a long period of time, and listen to some of Enya's songs. And I give the time to do the rest of the job.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Here is my two cents. I went through Major depression some years ago,was in the mental health system for over a year. Quite honestly what got me out of that was not the medicine or the therapy. What helped was seeing other people MUCH worse off then me,and talking with them and helping them deal with their problems. Not sure that would help everyone,but being depressed you tend to go in circles internally and make it worse. Getting your mind off yourself helps.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The only way I dealt with my depression and got control over it was by going to counselling sessions with a really awesome psychologist. We managed to pinpoint where a lot of it was coming through and worked through it. So now I only get depressed every now and then rather than being up and down or being depressed for a month at a time.

It may also help to research depression and what causes it. This helps with our understanding of why we feel the way we feel sometimes.
                          There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
                          William Wordsworth

Comment

I don't know if this is the cause with all depressive disorders, but I happen to have a dx of bipolar disorder. (Yeah, I just happen to be a cancer survivor too! LOL [I know...I'm joking about it, but it is a fact.]) Anyway, with bipolar it's a physiological disorder. In simple terms that means it's a psychological disorder with a physical cause (ie chemical imbalance). If you google something along the lines of how to deal with depression you'll probably find exercise and a few other common suggestions you might hear from people in the mental health care field.

It's been my experience that most often when I'm feeling depressed I sure don't feel like getting up off my duff and exercising! LOL And the real kicker is that there is a physical cause for it, so just some sort of mental activity doesn't really help much. I generally tend to veg out in front of the TV or just find some sort of busy work to keep myself occupied with on the PC. Or I sleep. That's a great one for me! If I don't feel better when I wake up at least I've managed to escape consciousness for a bit.

The biggest thing that helps me with the depression, though, is simple awareness that there's really nothing wrong with me or my life. Realizing that
                            1) everything IS okay
                            2) what I'm feeling is a result of a physical cause and
                            3) I have no reason to get morose about whatever little thing I could choose to focus on and blow out of proportion
                            makes it much easier to deal with.

Comment

When I am depressed, I have found that several things make a major difference.
                              1) Taking care of myself and adhering to a routine.
                              2) Meditation, especially LovingKindness or meditations on death- it's difficult to remain depressed and closed off when focusing on the fact that none of this will be here forever, not even myself.
                              3) Get around positive people who love me- this is the one that had the biggest impact on my last episode. That kind of loving, optimistic, life affirming energy snapped me out of it.
                              4) Avoid wasting loads of time on the internet. There is a lot of mind numbing, negative bullshit on the internet (except for PF, of course ). The last thing I need to submerse myself in when I'm depressed is a lonely world of negativity and mental junk food.
                              5) Get exercise- I go for a walk. If I have a buddy who wants to go, maybe even a hike. Getting fresh air and making my blood pump releases some incredible endorphins and clears my mind.

Blessings

- - - Updated - - -

I also like to watch this video. It may not apply to everyone's depression, but it's certainly helped me through mine:

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
                              The only way I dealt with my depression and got control over it was by going to counselling sessions with a really awesome psychologist. We managed to pinpoint where a lot of it was coming through and worked through it. So now I only get depressed every now and then rather than being up and down or being depressed for a month at a time.

It may also help to research depression and what causes it. This helps with our understanding of why we feel the way we feel sometimes.
                              ^ This too. When I started seeing a therapist, she helped me pinpoint some of the causes of my depression and could help me work on them. I don't get depressed nearly as often anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X