Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian, vegan, breatharians?

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Vegetarian, vegan, breatharians?

I ran into this in an article about Barbie-lady - she wants to live without eating.

Uhm... That would be a "breatharian." They believe we humans-like folks can live on air and sunlight, like a shrub.

Here's a breatharian blog. The woman went without food for 50-some days:

Living on Light

And, lest you think there is no particular advantage to giving up one of life's MAJOR pleasures, it's also your ticket to surviving the coming 'porkylips.

The Breatharian Institute Of America

Hurry, hurry, hurry, step right up! You don't wanna be missing this bus, Sunny!
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Vegetarian, vegan, breatharians?

People are crazy.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Like I am EVER going to stop eating my pork sausage patties....And then there is BACON!!!
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Like I am EVER going to stop eating my pork sausage patties....And then there is BACON!!!
    To say nothing of lasagna, pizza, and brains.

I wonder what one's organs taste like while one is self digesting them?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism & Demonolatry
    Phrase
    Astra inclinant, sed non obligant

I remember there was a lady similar to this on an episode of Wife Swap. She fed her children seeds and they'd go outside and absorb "sun food" for an hour each day.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Read some of their site.....there's a whole rambling rant on how you should drink Diet Coke and eat cheeseburgers. It's mondo bizarro!!! http://www.breatharian.com/breatharians.html

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Singularitarian
    Phrase
    If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    Read some of their site.....there's a whole rambling rant on how you should drink Diet Coke and eat cheeseburgers. It's mondo bizarro!!! http://www.breatharian.com/breatharians.html
    That site basically does to dietetics what time cube does to physics.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Quote Originally Posted by Denarius View Post
    That site basically does to dietetics what time cube does to physics.
    Sometimes I think human nature has become about making up a line of b.s. and convincing others to buy into it.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    Sometimes I think human nature has become about making up a line of b.s. and convincing others to buy into it.
    I'm not sure that its new enough to say "has become"...I'd be willing to hypothesize this is one of the traits that define us as humans. You know, the ability to view the world so subjectively abstract as to have no bearing in an objective and concrete reality, but to convince ourselves that it is, indeed real, and then think that we need to share that new reality with others, and then to use those new realities as a sort of social glue, capable of evolving just are surely (in fact, with even more rapidness) as our genes, allowing us to manipulate our surroundings to such a degree as to travel to the moon and within the body in a camera that can be swallowed, to see to beyond our solar system and our galaxy and within the very molecules of our bodies, to have built masterpieces of architecture to last millennia with hand tools and tiny electronic "brains" the size of a grain of rice.

We humans are terrible and compassionate--we are hopeful monsters capable of great deeds, and small pettiness both kind and generous. Though there is an overwhelming trend in human cultures that makes them oddly homogeneous in some ways, the diversity we see in the behaviors among populations in the human species can't even be fathomed in other animals. And why? Because we humans have the ability to see things that aren't there, and to believe them as if they are tangible, and to convince others that they are such precious ideas as to devote their lives and their children's lives to them.

And these crazy people that think they can exist on sunlight and oxygen are nothing less than cultural evolution at work. Its fascinating. Doomed...but fascinating.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Left-handed Path; LHP

What Id say to her,

Can I have all your money when you die?