St. Patrick's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St. Patrick's Day

When we're kids, we are taught that St. Patrick is famous for chasing the snakes out of Ireland. A lot of people (at least in my family and my hometown) are under the impression that those are actual literal snakes. However, the snakes are actually a metaphor for pagans, and chasing them out is a euphemism for genocide. I only learned that three years ago, and since then, I have not been inclined to celebrate on St. Patrick's Day, as it is a celebration of the genocide of my people. However, today I saw someone talking about it in a different light: they said that we can point out the pieces of the ancient culture and the Old Way that have survived to this day (there is a LOT of it in Irish culture) and educate people as we celebrate and remember those who died for their beliefs.

Basically, I was wondering what people here thought about St. Patrick's Day. Do you celebrate it, and if so, how? Do you think pagans, especially Celtic pagans like myself, should boycott the holiday, or is it better to make it a day of remembrance and education? I am curious to know how others deal with this.

Re: St. Patrick's Day

I just kinda go with the Green beer,and the Irish whiskey...What???,I am part Irish...and drinking is part of my heritage..:xD:::
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

nothin' wrong with that XD

I'm part Irish too

Comment

The way to celebrate any Irish thing:
        Info on NPR's The Thistle & Shamrock radio shows, music streams, and Fiona Ritchie projects including the book "Wayfaring Strangers".

- - - Updated - - -

And well, any Celtic music is very very fun for this day.

(I should also quietly note that while the loss of religion, way of life, and cultural heritage is a certainty of course, a literal murderous genocide of Ireland during that time is not recorded nor thought likely

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhun...lar-myths.html )
        hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I typically spend it listening to music and enjoying some whiskey or meade. Mmmmm meade. Though today I spent it working. Hell, I'm still at work now waiting to see if they're gunna get hit with a bar rush once everything lets out and the drunks come in for Denny's cause we're the only place open lol
          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
          sigpic

Comment

mead is good. I have some currently. it's delicious.

Comment

I'm probably gunna finish off the bottle of Bunratty when I get home after we figure out if the drunks are coming in or not lol
              Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
              Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
              sigpic

Comment

Well apparently I spent it high on Vicodin out in public.

But I did wear green eyeshadow. And my co-worker is/was making corned beef on rye with pickles. So I think I'll get some leftovers!

St Patty's Day is like Cinco De Mayo. We are all Mexican on that day. And today we are all Pattikans!
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

While the origin of the holiday may be atrocious, I see no harm in celebrating it. Holidays often stray from their original meaning. It's not like people are thinking, "yeah, a bunch of pagans got slaughtered today! Let's get drunk!" They're really just finding an excuse to have fun, which is what most holidays have become.

Personally, I completely forgot it was Saint Paddy's day until my boyfriend started pinching the shit out of me because I wasn't wearing green. Still was not moved to do anything about it, haha.

Comment

My birthday is on St. Patrick's Day, so. . . I eat tons of cake and pizza!
                    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
                      Basically, I was wondering what people here thought about St. Patrick's Day. Do you celebrate it, and if so, how? Do you think pagans, especially Celtic pagans like myself, should boycott the holiday, or is it better to make it a day of remembrance and education? I am curious to know how others deal with this.
                      I celebrate a day of the Irish diaspora in America. Because if we were really celebrating St. Patrick, we'd all be wearing blue. Personally, I think its a bit narcissistic to worry all that much about boycotting a holiday that has so little to do with what it named after since its meaning has changed so greatly (this is also my opinion on Colomubs Day, Valentine's Day, etc).
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Columbus day is outright offensive to Native Americans, though. They absolutely hate it.

Anyway, we don't celebrate Patrick's day in Brazil cause it has nothing to do with our history, but I'd love me some good beer right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ektor View Post
                          Columbus day is outright offensive to Native Americans, though. They absolutely hate it.
                          From what I've seen the general consensus is, if they are aware of history which is sadly not a given, Christopher Columbus was a HUGE ass. Columbus day, however, is just another day off. No one really cares.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

For me it has always been about a day off,did not care why,just not going to work and getting paid...
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                              From what I've seen the general consensus is, if they are aware of history which is sadly not a given, Christopher Columbus was a HUGE ass. Columbus day, however, is just another day off. No one really cares.
                              If it makes you feel better, he died destitute, betrayed by his patron (Queen Isabella).

Sorry about the Native Americans, but I was born here, this is as much my home as it is theirs, and history is thoroughly unpleasant for pretty much every ethnic group everywhere. Sooner or later, one has to get over it, and get on with their lives.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X