Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the main differences between traditionalism and reconstructionalism please?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the main differences between traditionalism and reconstructionalism please?

Hi All trying to narrow down a path to follow but there are so many different celtic traditions that look and seem very similar to one another so its been quite difficult.The traditions that intrest me in particular is druidism,celtic shamanism and the faery faith. .However, before I rule out traditionalism and reconstructionalism I felt I needed to better understand the terms from those that have practiced or heard of them.

Please help if you can

Re: whats the main differences between traditionalism and reconstructionalism please?

Well in traditional societies one does not elect to become or practice shamanic things. One is chosen by "Spirit" or some higher form and under goes the Spiritual or physical death / sickness that signaled one being chosen. Then an existing elder, if chosen as not all are, would take the person on as a student / acloyte / adept / etc and teach them and guide them.

What you see expressed as Shamanism today is usually a far cry from what most traditional practice wold recognize as shaman or shamanic. Though many aspects that are associated with Shamanic practices are to be found in many other callings through out mythology and historical past. Some traditional in the sense of journey work and Spirit Calling as found in forms of Witchcraft, Hedge Witchary, etc for instance.

In many ways the very term "Shamanism" now is as much a collective term as "pagan" or "paganism".

Where I think the biggest difference lays is that Shamanism is not a spiritual pathway but a way of living and thinking. In traditional societies the Shaman / Medicine Person / etc is part of the religious structure of their societies. They worship the same gods, goddesses, ancestors, etc as the rest of their people do. They serve as a separate voice that reads the signs and speaks to the other beings and their allies and what is going on about their people. So figure using Christianity as an example, the person performs a shamanic function but is very much a practitioner of Christianity.

In my youth I died and family always said it was a sign I was chosen. The first lesson I learnt was if I was thinking about becoming a shamanic person then I was not for all of them would chose something different. It is to be alone even in a room full of people, and not all of them living or human. To stand with your spirit and mind in two worlds at once and never fully be part of either. One reason I think so many shamanic type individuals in mythology and history are to be found on the edges of those societies and often physically located away from them.

Of course this is all my own thoughts and ideas so others may disagree.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Re: whats the main differences between traditionalism and reconstructionalism please?

I agree. A Shamanic path means being open to the world of spirit. I for example have very, very strong influences from Mother Goddesses and Love Goddesses, I try to eat this, digest it and make it myself. I believe I must be strongly empathic and loving and caring because this is what those deities teach me and want me to do. Since I can't actually go and learn shamanic stuff for now (in some years when I'm in a different economic situation I might), I try to be a positive influence in people's lives, listening to their problems, keeping secrets, being loving and open and bright to them. It's my goal, even if I don't manage it all the time.

Just ask people who know me and many will say I give the best hugs they know, I like to think hugging people is a way to cast a good luck spell

Comment

Although this seems to be forgotten/ignored/skipped by modern Shamans and Druids, there's a component of community servitude in those titles. The skills of the Shaman or Druid weren't so much for themselves as they were for the betterment of their tribe/clan.
        Re: Living History Blog
        Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

Working...
        X