This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are told they don't, but they often do

Much of the press would like us to believe that religious leaders are against birth control, and against making it freely available through insurance. As usual, you're only getting what they want you to hear.

The truth is ALWAYS somewhat different...

Supreme Court Contraception Mandate Cases: Religious Leaders Release Statement Supporting Contraception Access

OK, so everybody expects it from Unitarians (Thalassa, you know I'm pointing at you ), but even Catholic nuns?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: You are told they don't, but they often do

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    OK, so everybody expects it from Unitarians (Thalassa, you know I'm pointing at you ), but even Catholic nuns?
    lol...

Actually, I'm not surprised that some nuns would support this--many of them tend to be far more pragmatic and liberal than the bishops. Comes from spending more time doing and less time gabbing at people and telling them what to do.

The thing to keep in mind is that these folks are still the progressive or liberal sides of their respective faiths.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      The thing to keep in mind is that these folks are still the progressive or liberal sides of their respective faiths.
      Yes - there are only 2000 nuns in that particular group out of God (smirk) only knows how many in total.

These are the people, though, who need to be applauded, be presented in the media, and worked with.

They ain't called "progressive" for nothin'.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Mainly I think because these Nuns actually work with the poor,and know having to many kids can be a very big burden. When you live on the front lines of poverty,you tend to have a much different view on a lot of things.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I should not have looked at the comments
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
            I hadn't actually looked at the comments, Dez, 'cause sometimes I get tired of the lunatic fringe, even for laughs.

But I went back - it looked like a pretty mixed bag, at least as far as I got. A lot of people made that point that, if one doesn't want abortion, one needs birth control. I always like to see that that.

Comment

Very true, Corbin...I haven't been feeling well, so I think my annoyance meter is all messed up.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                I have officially stopped reading any of these for bloody ANYTHING Corbin posts....
                Cause I like not being any crazier than I already am......
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                  Cause I like not being any crazier than I already am......
                  We may have to discuss this premise.... :cthulhu:
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I never read the comments. Ever.

I possess a way too volatile disposition to be journeying into that particular minefield.

But now the article, itself? Oddly, I don't feel at all surprised. Like I missed a step, somewhere.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      We may have to discuss this premise.... :cthulhu:
                      you've had more than plenty of my sanity thank you very much...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                      I never read the comments. Ever.

I possess a way too volatile disposition to be journeying into that particular minefield.
                      this, works really well to say how i feel about comments.
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

As I remember the last time I looked at comments...they started out half civil,the some one would post "Your a Dic*),and then the whole thing would go all to hell.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                        X