This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Druidic meditation

Are there any ways of doing it? Any plants or crystals to assist?

Re: Druidic meditation

What do you mean? There really isn't any specific meditation technique unique to Druids. Or if there is, I've never heard of it. Specific meditations are easily found on some of the Druid groups sites (and on personal blogs), but they are generally centered around specific rites, rituals, themes, ideas, beliefs, or holidays, etc.

Edit to add: Check out this page
    Last edited by thalassa; 20 Mar 2014, 17:11.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Meditation can mean a lot of things, what exactly is it you're trying to achieve?

I'm fairly sure the OBOD website has some sample meditations, maybe check that out.

Comment

This actually is useful and I will consider this. I just wanted to be sure on how to do it, as I imagine Druid meditation would be different than Jewish meditation or Buddhist meditation. I figured Druidic meditation would have something to do with nature, as they respect and revere and talk about nature more than the other religions. I wondered if trees played a part in it, or a certain plant could help and enhance meditation, like crystals do.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
          I figured Druidic meditation would have something to do with nature, as they respect and revere and talk about nature more than the other religions. I wondered if trees played a part in it, or a certain plant could help and enhance meditation, like crystals do.
          Most guided meditation in Druidry is, indeed, nature-oriented and there are some tree themed meditations. There are likely plant allies that one could work with, as well as crystals, but that's not specifically Druidry. The techniques themselves...its still just meditation. The only thing I can think of that's specific to Druidry (or at least a specific Druid group) is this (this same site has some other info you might find of interest).
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Most guided meditation in Druidry is, indeed, nature-oriented and there are some tree themed meditations.
            Yup, this is true! Actually, ADF does have a specific meditation that is common for us to do before rituals (both public and personal). It's called the "Two Powers" or simply the "Tree" meditation, which is partly based on our cosmology. Basically, you sit, do some breathing to calm the mind, then imagine roots spreading from you downwards into the earth (which has the dark cool energies of underworlds) and branches growing up into the sky above you (which we associate with the warmth/fire/inspiration of the gods/heavens). This basically is meant to put you in the mental state of a world tree and get closer to/ be in a better mental state to approach the gods/ spirits/ ancestors. I think the basic tree meditation is a pretty common pagan visualization, but in this case ADF mixes in some of their own mindset.

I find this one rather enjoyable, even though I first learned meditation just through vipassana and zen techniques. As Aeran said, OBOD also has some guided meditation albums for sale, though I've only done the samples that they've offered up on DruidCast. I also made some beads based on Erynn Rowan Laurie's "A Circle of Stones" book and will occasionally do that meditation, though it involves the recitation of various passages from the Lebor Gabala and is a bit more complex.

Comment

From what I've gathered in my research so far, Druids generally don't practice the clear mind or Buddhist approach to meditation, I forget the term but it is more an active form in which there is guided meditation (errant thoughts are ok, but are focused and tracked down back to the neutral state instead of just 'banished' - so much closer to a Zen meditation approach), different poses to align with the powers of the earth and above, I've also seen walking meditation a part of it as well. There are also a set of color meditations that I've found as well that seems to be closer to what you have in mind.

I'm not sure about 'druid specific' herbs and crystals for meditation..but I've dabbled a little into it with my own path.

Comment

Working...
              X