This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

Got someone to cover my HD shift on Thursday!!! Thats a whole day off from both places. I am going to do nothing!
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
      Is there a word for when there can only be one side to a discussion? In one of the facebook groups I'm in, there's a "discussion" about white privilege. I haven't got involved in it because it's a lost cause. Discussion centres around a few points like systematic racism, oppression and of course the White persons ignorance of the battles of people of colour. The only discussion you can have is how ashamed you are to be white and the only discussion a person of colour can have is how oppressed and unheard they feel. The more aware and sorry a white person feels for having white privilege, the more enlightened they are as one of the defining factors of white privilege is how much white people hate talking about racism and especially their own racism. Therefore, if you have a different point of view as a white person, your blind and ignorant to your own privilege and racism. You racist bigot, you. It's very exasperating. I guess I'm racist and suffer too much from white privilege.

This got a little rant-ish sorry. So yea.. Is there a word for being checkmated before you even enter a discussion?
      For me I was kind of confused about all that because while I do believe white privilege exists, the whole concept that isn't exactly spoken, but is implied, is that you have to hate yourself and spend all your time trying to correct others and tell them how privileged they are, while you can't enjoy anything because white culture hasn't created anything of their own and appropriates everything. I think the whole concept is very destructive, because I'm a very world minded person, and I believe we should bring our cultures together, though not diluting it so culture's meaning gets lost.

But while I digress a little bit, I still think it's important to just recognize that people of non majority races have a hard time, and structure your worldview around that, be nice and friendly to everyone, and promote peace and understanding between cultures. But you can do that without hating yourself for being white.

Comment

I was watching on the news a discussion with BLM and a person from the main stream,and they were talking over each other. When one would start speaking,the other jumped in with why the person speaking was wrong,then it would start with the second person speaking,and again the first would jump in the middle and chastise the speaker for being WRONG..and I thought..we are all in for a VERY bad summer.

- - - Updated - - -

And I remembered this.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
          ..But you can do that without hating yourself for being white.
          Yes, exactly. Also, for me race goes far deeper than skin colour. It's culture and how you're raised. I have some friends from PNG. The wife is blonde haired blue eyed fair skinned and the husband is dark skinned, dark eyes, 'fro going on. When they both moved here to Australia, he fit in very easily but she had a really difficult time. So who's got white privilege there? Also, there's a man from my church who's white as but his cultural identity is Torres Strait Islander and it shows up in everything he does. What about his white privilege? Maybe I don't get it. All I see is a lot of yelling and shaming. Which brings me too...

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I was watching on the news a discussion with BLM and a person from the main stream,and they were talking over each other. When one would start speaking,the other jumped in with why the person speaking was wrong,then it would start with the second person speaking,and again the first would jump in the middle and chastise the speaker for being WRONG..and I thought..we are all in for a VERY bad summer.
          This video was really really good at expressing an opinion about why US politics got so polarised using maths! Disagreeing doesn't have to mean disrespecting. Watch from about 3 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWQ...ature=youtu.be
          Last edited by Azvanna; 11 Jul 2016, 16:58.

Comment

Hour 2, no power.

To effing quiet. And hot.

So tired, but still can't sleep
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

The whole idea of "white" privilege is racist anyway. It is whitewashing history, and downplays the impact of class inequality. Of segregation and ghettos.

It's also fundamentally wrong, both historically and currently. Historically, many ethnic groups we think of as "white" were horribly discriminated against. Irish Americans in particular have just as much a history (or in the same ballpark, anyway) of it as African Americans.

Currently, Asians, Jews, and Indians are the most successful ethnic groups by most ways of measuring it. I just find it hypocritical that it is acceptable to talk about "white privilege" but not "Jewish privilege." It is literally the same argument.

I don't care that they are 2% of the population, yet 40% of the billionaires and 139 of the Forbes 400. Who even cares? It's just so collectivist and gross, fundamentally denies agency and individuality.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I'm pretty sure my pit is playing Pokemon Go in the backyard. She just won't stop wandering about back there.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Brother in law bought cards against humanity for husbands birthday yay, we've wanted it for ages but it hasn't been available in Denmark until a month or two ago. Can't wait to play
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

It is stinkin' hot out.

I think I'll take Remmy to town and walk him on the pier.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                      Brother in law bought cards against humanity for husbands birthday yay, we've wanted it for ages but it hasn't been available in Denmark until a month or two ago. Can't wait to play
                      I keep wanting to buy this and I just keep talking myself out of it! Some of the expansions are hilarious but I don't have anyone to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                        I keep wanting to buy this and I just keep talking myself out of it! Some of the expansions are hilarious but I don't have anyone to play with.
                        We don't either, but I went ahead and bought the thing off Amazon. We will find people to play with eventually, I hope.
                        Last edited by thalassa; 13 Jul 2016, 10:23.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                          We have quite a few nerdy friends it's brilliant! I'm sure you can find someone who wants to play
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

We have cards against humanity and an extension pack for when JP's friends come over. These days a game called 'funemployed' has taken over as our favourite though. Although it's optional, you get to role play and do terrible accents, and of course we choose to!
                            Last edited by Jembru; 13 Jul 2016, 12:08.
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              We have cards against humanity and an extension pack for when JP's friends come over. These days a game called 'funemployed' has taken over as our favourite though. Although it's optional, you get to role play and do terrible accents, and of course we choose to!
                              Sounds fun I think I've heard of it before. We also like ultimate werewolf, but it takes quite a few players to be really fun.
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

My brother and I were at a used bookstore that sells a wide variety of stuff, including board games, and there were stacks and stacks of Apples to Apples - he posits that it's because people have no use for them now that C.A.H exists

Comment

Working...
                                X